What's new

Time for a Receiver Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
Time sure flies as it seem like not that long ago I got my Denon AVRx3000 from my wife for Christmas. Then I see that the same model is up to to a revision AVRx3600 and then I’m reminded that mine is pretty old. It seems to work well, but Im wondering if I’m not getting the latest decoding And therefore the best sound. For example, the 3000 does not have atmos. Is having an atmos receiver a benefit even if you‘re still only running 5.1 setup? It looks like the amplifier specs are identical except the 3600 is a 9.1 which I really don’t see myself going to anytime soon. Is the virtual height elevation a good upgrade?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say that's debatable. It says it passes 4K, but I doubt that includes HDR, and it doesn't have Atmos, which you can't take advantage of anyway.

My living room system is only 5.1, but I swear Atmos soundtracks still sound better than 5.1 ones. I don't know if it's my imagination or not. It's also a higher end model receiver (Marantz SR7012) so maybe it's just better processing and general electronics.

I guess until/unless you do move up to 4K or immersive audio, there's probably not a big reason to upgrade. Other than the best reason of all, because you want a new toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks