What's new

Rear Surround and Dolby Atmos. (1 Viewer)

dec0der

Auditioning
Real Name
dec0der
Hi,

I recently purchased a new 4k earc TV & AV receiver. I'm concerned about the speaker hookup. Here is the speaker setup.

Front Left and Right floor standing dual 6 1/2 + tweeter which has a built-in height/Atmos speaker on the top. (Klipsch R-26FA)

Center speaker

Surround Sound Speakers 5 -1/2

Rear Surround Sound speakers 5 1/2

2 - 10" subwoofers

My concern is the Dolby Atmos speakers on top of the floor speakers need to be wired into the rear surround inputs on the back of the receiver. The rear surround sound speakers are already wired into that connection. Would it be OK to add the Atmos speaker wires into that connection as well? So I would have the rear surround sound speakers and the Dolby Atmos speakers hooked up to the same inputs.

My receiver is the Sony STR-DH790
07291654_5d3ea621dccb7.jpg

Thanks..

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Would it be OK to add the Atmos speaker wires into that connection as well? So I would have the rear surround sound speakers and the Dolby Atmos speakers hooked up to the same inputs.
No! Receivers aren’t meant to drive multiple speakers from a single output, doing so could cause damage. Your receiver is either 5.1.2 or 7.1 . It is not 7.1.2 . They do make 7.1.2 and 7.1.4 receivers but those are ridiculously expensive.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Your current receiver cannot process Dolby Atmos. Here's an example of a "reasonably priced" model that can.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unfortunately, if you have a 7.1 Atmos speaker arrangement, you purchased the wrong receiver. You need a 7.1.2 receiver. Atmos speakers need to be connected to the appropriate Atmos-channel speaker outputs on the receiver. If you connect them to any other channels, the Atmos speakers will be receiving (for instance) the rear surround signal. That’s not what you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Your current receiver cannot process Dolby Atmos. Here's an example of a "reasonably priced" model that can.

Actually, John his receiver DOES process Atmos, just the 5.1.2 variety, which by the way is identical to the Denon receiver you linked as an example.

dec0der

Auditioning
Real Name
dec0der
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it can process Dolby Atmos. Just need the inputs for it for 7.1.2 .. jeez what was Sony thinking...how can you support Atmos in 5.1.2 and not in 7.1.2, all they needed to do is supply the height inputs. I just purchased the receiver so I need to see if I can swap it for a Sony 7.1.2 or other brand. Should of did my homework before purchasing.

So this is what I need, look at the price eh.. insane increase just for the 7.1.2 I dont see a Sony 7.1.2, only this 9.1.2

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Actually, John his receiver DOES process Atmos, just the 5.1.2 variety, which by the way is identical to the Denon receiver you linked as an example.
Wow! Missed that. Good catch! @dec0der - This means you can have either a 7.1 [rear surrounds] or 5.1.2 [2x Atmos] but not both. I'd recommend going the rear surround route as up-firing Atmos speakers are usually only marginally effective anyway unless they're in very ideal environments.

dec0der

Auditioning
Real Name
dec0der
I have high celings, I just wanted to fill the whole room with sound. It's probably not worth me spending an additional $1100 just to have "height" inputs. I cant belive Sony left this out on my model receiver, how can you support Atmos and not have seperate height inputs, but yea....its only for 5.1.2 - I guess I overlooked it when I purchased because it said Sony 7.2. My mistake :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it can process Dolby Atmos. Just need the inputs for it for 7.1.2 .. jeez what was Sony thinking...how can you support Atmos in 5.1.2 and not in 7.1.2, all they needed to do is supply the height inputs. I just purchased the receiver so I need to see if I can swap it for a Sony 7.1.2 or other brand. Should of did my homework before purchasing.

So this is what I need, look at the price eh.. insane increase just for the 7.1.2 I dont see a Sony 7.1.2, only this 9.1.2
That’s a 7.1.2 receiver. I told you they were expensive :D When a receiver is advertised as 9.2 it means 9 amplified channels and 2 passive subwoofer outputs. A receiver that can do 7.1.4 would be designated as 11.2 like this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158AZ5KES/Sony-ES-STR-AZ5000ES.html

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ll let others more knowledgeable confirm, but I don’t think high ceilings will be conducive to up-firing Atmos speakers. You might be better off sticking with 5.1 or 7.1.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks