What's new

PB or SB? Dual or single? Subwoofer Selection Question (1 Viewer)

IvanLionel

Auditioning
Real Name
Yifan
Hello, I'm planning for building a system for both home theater (60%) and music(40%). I have decided on most devices of the system, but still need your opinions on the sub
Here is the system I'm thinking of now:
Center: RC-64III
L/R: Forte IV
Rears: RP-500M
Atmos: PRO-180RPC-LCR
Receiver: Denon 6700H

I also attached my space below, and my budget for sub is 1500-2000, I'd like to go with SVS
Several questions for my space are:
1. Do I need dual subs for my space? For sub, the only feasible locations would be the two green dots.
2. If go single, there may be another option(Black dot), which one would be the better place including the two green dots?
3. Sealed vs. Ported Subwoofers, would they have a huge difference if I do dual or single? Also, would they be really different in my space for music and movie?
4. I used to think of a single SVS SB16-ultra, but if do a single ported sub, I would go with PB-4000. And if do dual, I would choose dual PB-2000 Pro or dual SB-3000.

Property Font Rectangle Technology Urban design

I really appreciate your help in advance!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sub capabilities are dependent on room size. Thus, it's hard to advice on single vs. dual without knowing the sq ft and cu ft.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

IvanLionel

Auditioning
Real Name
Yifan
Sub capabilities are dependent on room size. Thus, it's hard to advice on single vs. dual without knowing the sq ft and cu ft.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for the information! My great room in the picture is about 400 sqft and the listening area is about a half which is 200 sqft.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are so many different philosophies regarding how to decide on subs. Your area is connected to a rather large, open space, so there will be a lot of energy loss. Meaning, you almost can't have too much sub. Personally I think you should go with the best sealed subs you can afford and fit into the space. It's a living space also, so you want nice, clean bass, but you probably don't want the entire house shaking. Plus, you do have space limitations and sealed subs are much smaller. If it was me, I'd be choosing between the Rythmik F/E15HP and the SVS SB-3000 or SB-4000.

I should add that I am recently sold on the concept of good sealed subs, especially in living spaces. Yeah, you give away a couple dB in output, but you gain a lot more, in my book. Sealed subs are usually flat to lower frequencies, then drop more rapidly, so they do have a benefit.

IvanLionel

Auditioning
Real Name
Yifan
There are so many different philosophies regarding how to decide on subs. Your area is connected to a rather large, open space, so there will be a lot of energy loss. Meaning, you almost can't have too much sub. Personally I think you should go with the best sealed subs you can afford and fit into the space. It's a living space also, so you want nice, clean bass, but you probably don't want the entire house shaking. Plus, you do have space limitations and sealed subs are much smaller. If it was me, I'd be choosing between the Rythmik F/E15HP and the SVS SB-3000 or SB-4000.

I should add that I am recently sold on the concept of good sealed subs, especially in living spaces. Yeah, you give away a couple dB in output, but you gain a lot more, in my book. Sealed subs are usually flat to lower frequencies, then drop more rapidly, so they do have a benefit.
Hi John, thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering when you talk about sealed sub, would you recommend a single sub like SB-4000 or dual sealed subs? Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As I said in the other thread, I think you need dual subs, one on each side of the sofa as indicated in the graphic, to get reasonably balanced bass across the main viewing area. I listed four recommended subs, and I'd go with two of them. I doubt you'd ever be unhappy with any of them. So it's mostly a matter of budget. It's not cheap. We're talking $2-4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks