What's new

Which receiver for $3000? (1 Viewer)

JorgeG

Grip
I have 2 Martin Logan Ascents for my fronts and the center Martin Logan Cinema. For my surrounds, I have in ceiling AIMone speakers. I trying to decide between getting the Sunfire Ultimate receiver (used) vs B&K AVR 507 (new) for $3000. Which do you all think would be the better choice?
Thanks for your opinions.

JorgeG

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Why are you limiting yourself to a receiver?

For that budget, separates seem like a very achievable goal, and will do you much better.

JorgeG

Grip
Well, for that budget, which seperates would you recommend which would yield at least the same amount of power as either one of those receivers. Thanks again.

JorgeG

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
I would look at Rotel, maybe a rsp 1068 pre/pro and a rmb 1075 amp. $2700 retail, 120 watts 5.1 surround. If you want 7.1 you'll have play with awhile (used equip. dealer discounts)

You could get an outlaw setup for under $3000 but I can't confirm that it would be better than the Sunfire or B&K.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You could look for a used B&K Ref 50, and then any 7 channel power amp to go with it. (Outlaw makes a good 7 channel amp, the 770.) The Rotel 1068 is a good choice too.

Chip E

Screenwriter
There's absolutely nothing wrong going with the B&K 507. It is basically seperates all in one box. I had it's predecessor, the 307. I use a Ref50 with a B&K amp combo, a Ref200.2 & Ref200.5 for a 7.1 rig. The 507 has 7 non current limiting amplifiers built in unlike any other receiver i'm aware of. I wouldn't pay 3 grand for it though. Deals for around 2 grand can be had on it. A used Ref50 would cost you around $1500.00, then you could buy a used 7 channel amp for $1000.00 to $1500.00.. Lot's of choices out there.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
There is additional flexibility gained by having it in two different boxes. And you don't have to stick with one brand for both. And you can mix and match amplifiers as well. If you're going 7.1, get a good SSP, 2-channel amp for the fronts, and 5-channel amp for the rest of it.

The choices are absolutely endless. Your wallet is probably your only leash. :D

JorgeG

Grip
Thanks for all of the suggestions. So do think the Rotel processor RSP-1068 and Rotel RMB 1075 5channel amp be a better way to power the Martin Logans? Now the Rotel amp I believe is 125W/channel where the B&K AVR 507 is 150W/channel. Does that change anybody's mind?

Thanks,

Jorge

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Forget wattage. I'm going to wave my magic wand and remove that word from your vocabulary. Why? You need to double wattage to make only a 3dB difference in sound. The 25W difference in sound...will make no appreciable difference whatsoever.

Sonics aside, the measure of a good amp is its headroom...it's powersupply, current capability, and ability to deal with loud peaks without compression or distortion.

The feature sheet of an amp is not going to provide you with an awful lot of insight. You need to go auditioning!

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
straight amps are non-current-limiting which is why they have more hearroom and can output more current than all receivers (except one that I know of, B&k)which are current limiting (shorting protection, rather than fuses)...Your Martin-Logans will appreciate the differance.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
One thing to keep in mind is that with seperates you'll have two power supplies which given your speakers will be important as they're very demanding given their low impedance (dip as low as 2 ohms I think). The 1075 amp recomended above puts out an honest 200 watts into 4 ohms and won't break a sweat doing that all day. Keeping the amp and processor in two box's will also lower the noise floor a bit..perhapse not that much but it will be lower and it makes it easy to upgrade in the future by simply swapping out the procesor.

JorgeG

Grip
I see that the Rotel 1075 puts out 200Wx5 @ 4ohms DIN Power output (1 KHz, 1%). What does that exactly mean? Also, being that 95% of the time I'll be using my setup for HT, does that make a difference in the above choices? Thanks again.

Jorge

JorgeG

Grip
"There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand b1inary, and those who dont."

What was the purpose of that comment? I'm asking a question because I don't know the answer which is what I thought was the purpose of this forum.

Jorge

FeisalK

Screenwriter
that was my sig, Jorge (10 in binary = 2)

did you look at the fetching Aragorn multichannel amp?

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
'Forget wattage. I'm going to wave my magic wand and remove that word from your vocabulary. Why? You need to double wattage to make only a 3dB difference in sound. The 25W difference in sound...will make no appreciable difference whatsoever.'

HEADROOM, especially with martin logans!!!
because of the clarity these speakers exude, cranking the system is prefered. yes, you dont need wattage, but you should prefer more wattage. they can take it, and with such expensive speakers, I wouldnt want my amp to start clipping at all and possibly ruin the electrostats. plus the bass units need a bit of power to really get them singing.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The extra 25W gives you 0.8dB more "cranking headroom".

Well we can get a wimpy receiver that has more wattage than a solid stereo amp and then see who clips first. I put my money on Mr. Wimpy Receiver. Even if it wasn't so wimpy and we put a Sony 130wpc receiver against a Bryston 3B(-ST/SST, 2x125W) I have a fair idea of who would win.

Headroom is not achieved by having more wattage. It is acheived by having GOBS of current on tap to deal with transient peaks. How do you have it on tap? Well, you have a massive power supply (or multiple ones), huge capacitors...and ESPECIALLY when your speakers impedence dips to 2ohms and below, you want a rock solid amp...not one that can dish out huge amounts of wattage into 8 ohms (like the MLs are rated) and then wimps out as the impedence drops.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
so you are saying wattage and headroom are completely unrelated....

I guess you are one of those that do not understand binary :)

but you are comparing a receiver to a power amp which is like apples and oranges in the first place. yes, power transformers that are big are good. fine, but what does that translate to, when the impedence drops, it requires more wattage...

---------------------------------------------------
PS they are rated at 4 ohms

Frequency Response: 35–22,000 Hz ±3 dB
Dispersion
Horizontal: 30 degrees
Vertical: 4' (122cm) line source
Sensitivity: 90 dB/2.83 volts/meter
Impedance: 4 ohms, 1.2 ohms at 20kHz
Crossover Frequency: 280 Hz
Components: Custom-wound audio transformers, polypropylene capacitors, air core coils
Woofer type: 10" (25.4cm) high excursion, high rigidity aluminum cone with extended throw driver assembly, non-resonance asymmetrical chamber format.
Bass Control Switch: -3 dB below 200Hz
Power handling: 200 watts per channel

Drew_W

Screenwriter
On the scale we're looking at here, that's exactly what I'm saying. Does 0.8dB equal a substantial increase in "headroom" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks