What's new

Which B&W would compare to a Paradigm Studio 40, 20, CC470 setup (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I was looking at the B&W 603 S3, LCR600 S3 and 601 S3 surrounds and I'm curious if this setup would be comparable to the new Paradigm Studio 40,20,470 v3 setup in price and sound.

Kevin

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This is my opinion only.

I didn't care for the 600 series so much(I know others do though), i think it compares more with the monitors series than either the V2 or the V3 studio series.

The v2s were comparable more with the CDM series. I'm not to familiar with the CM series. I think the CDM series, however, is superior, but more $$. Now, the new digms, the V3s, were a step up, and a bit more $$ than the v2s, and while I've not listened to the V3s next to the CDMs, I would guess(pulling together auditions apart in both time and location) that they would be much closer to the CDMs, which I thought had great detail that the V2s didn't quite have.

MY tastes would dictate that I get either the monitor or either of the studio series, (old V2 and new V3), or the CDM series. I suggest you listen and find what your tastes are. Also try the CM series, I'm not familiar with that so much, would be good to look into.

Ted_Wern

Agent
B&W and Paradigm are two entirely different speakers and making the decision between the both can only be based on your ears. I am not a fan of B&W (except for their subs which are tight and punchy) but people seem to love them. I feel they are a very dry speaker. The Paradigm have more high range(in my opinion) and more depth. But as always, to each his own. Go listen, you will know the right speaker when you hear it.

JustinDR

Agent
I would also agree that the paradigm studio v.3 is more comparable to the CDM line in sound, but here in Canada the CDM series is quite a bit more expensive. I would also agree that the two series are quite different and would suit different tastes and needs. As said before, you'll have to listen for yourself. Just be aware that the B&Ws are not forgiving speakers, and I don't think most receivers would do them justice. Of course, some people would say the same could be said for the paradigms.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Thanks for everyones input. I'm looking at spending $3500CDN taxes in. That gets me the Studios 40,20,CC470v3 with stands. The 603 series are a little more and the CDM series atleast 3x as much. So I think I'll stick with Paradigm. My new Rotel 1095 should make them sing

Kevin

Jason GT

Second Unit
This is a decision that I'm going through right now -- and as a loonie spender, Canadian product is so much more cost effective, plus it's always nice to buy Canadian!

I've listened to B&W CDMs and they were quite wonderful. Granted they were being driven with some killer equipment (Naim gear) but the instrument dynamics were something else.
Especially drums and the splash of cymbals.

As for the Paradigm Studio v3s, I need another listen (For me it's 60s + CC vs B&W CDMs + CNT), as my first shot at them was in a relatively poor environment.

Kevin, if you are still thinking about CDMs, I think you should be able to do CDM (bookshelves) plus stands but not tax for about $4500. Yes it's a big price difference but certainly not 3*. 3* gets you into Nautilus (and probably Paradigm Signature, whenever it comes out)

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

Just a thought, with the (excellent) Rotel 1095, why go with the Studio 40's? Go with the 100's!!! Too much amp for the 40, IMHO!

Did someone say B&W and "dry sounding" in the same sentence? My same opinion entirely.

JaimeB

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Jamie,

Yes the 1095 is an awesome amp, one that I never thougt I'd get my hands on if it wasn't for my local dealer clearing it out at 17% below cost. As far as my speaker selection, its a combo of $$ and room size. Since the speakers will be bought utilizing the buy now pay later plan my local audio shop has I don't have to worry about that. My room size is 25x10 rectangular basement, but my HT is located at one end in a 8x6 section so I think the 100's would be overkill.

Kevin

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin;

did you say 8' x 6' section? Are you sure, if so what you need for that sized room can be found at Costco or Sams. For $200 you can get five tiny speakers with a powered subwoofer included. You can upgrade to (also tiny) cubes and a passive woofer by Bose...

Ok, ok , I'm just pulling your leg, just send me that 1095 down here, you don't need it, I DO! :D

Enjoy your well researched setup.

Best wishes,

JaimeB

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Just a thought, with the (excellent) Rotel 1095, why go with the Studio 40's? Go with the 100's!!! Too much amp for the 40, IMHO!
I completely agree. I was using the Studio-40 with my RMB-1095, and I really prefer my Studio-100.

Go for the 100's!!!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I completely agree. I was using the Studio-40 with my RMB-1095, and I really prefer my Studio-100.
For now I can't get the 100's. Is just not in the budget. Down the road is another story, maybe when Paradigm comes out with v4 and the 100's go on closeout.

Kevin

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Can your budget allow Studio 60's, at least? If it can, I would definately consider that route.

Curt_Saw

Auditioning
Kevin. W,

I have the exact b&w setup you listed along with a SVS PB1-ISD. This is the great thing about speakers being so subjective. The dealer that I purchased from also sold Paradigm & NHT. I compared the b&w's to the paradigm & NHT, and for my tastes, didn't like either the Paradigm or NHT's. The other thing that I find interesting is how everyone assumes that B&W are more expensive. I paid $600 for the pair of the 603S3. I thought that was an excellent price for the pair. But as most people will tell you listen and choose which YOU like best.

Steve_D

Second Unit
I prefer the 40's on a good stand to the 100's and 60's, I'm assuming you are adding a good sub in here?

But according to some people here in HT world, my B&K Ref 4420 Amp (225W High Current) was too much for my 40's... :rolleyes

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Can your budget allow Studio 60's, at least? If it can, I would definately consider that route.
I wouldn't. I ended up preferring the v2 40s over the rest of the v2 Studio line (assuming you have a decent sub). I haven't heard the new v3 Studios & can't comment on how they compare.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Steve,

A sub will be added back to the setup when the budget permits, unless I don't sell my PS1000 in my current setup. 60's maybe an option because of the price of the new stands that go with the 40's.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks