What's new

Where to mount rear speakers in 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Jkk

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
We're finishing a 32x28 basement area that will have a 40" TV in one corner. I know it's not the ideal AV setup but it will be a huge step up from what we're used to. I'd like to try a minimal 5.1 system.

My question is how to place the rear speakers. I can mount them in the floor joist bays easily as the ceiling is not yet drywalled. Or, we can hand them from the ceiling drywall if we run the wires first. Or, we could mount them high on the two side walls, maybe 15' from the corner.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5600.JPG
    IMG_5600.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 122

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In a 5.1 setup, the surrounds actually should go on the sides, not the rear, at or slightly behind the sitting position, and 2-3 feet above seated ear level. With 7.1, you add another pair of speakers in the rear. If you ever upgrade to Atmos/DTS:X my understanding is that the side and rear surrounds are supposed to be lower, closer to ear level, since you now have ceiling surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks