What's new

Where to find more applicable reviews (1 Viewer)

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Hello - I’m vary much a novice on A/V equipment. However, I’ve been trying to educate myself more as I want to upgrade my current equipment. The problem I keep finding is many of the reviews and general articles seem to revolve around lower price points than I’d like. Where can I find good reviews and info for what I’d assume would be a mid-range price point?
Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can always come here, provide an explanation of your goals, and ask for some guidance in the hardware sections. That's a better way to start, by getting suggestions of what type of equipment you might want, then you can go to reviews of specific gear.

GoNolesJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Williams
Thanks for the replies. I’ll post my scenario and then use those resources for more reviews per the suggestion. Planning to upgrade my current 5.1 system and would value feedback based on mostly sports and movies viewing
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 20x20

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes but will upgrade everything

What's your budget (low to high): $15-25k

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? If spending more than indicated she might get upset so would like to stay in that range.

Currently have approximately 10yr old Def Tec Mythos Seven(LRC)…with 2 of their surrounds in the rear and their super cube sub. Unfortunately, getting old so hearing getting worse so the center will be important and I’d like to feel the base when watching movies or listening to music. I’ve always liked the look of having my speakers mounted on the front wall around the tv and keeping more floor space. So that’s still preferred if I can achieve a good sound.
Thanks so much

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you want to replace everything?

The "sub" in that system is really just a bass module, which is not a subwoofer. It's just there to make up for the complete lack of bass capability of the little speakers in the system.

Do you have a budget? Oops, I guess you provided that.

We can figure out a very nice system in your budget. Is that for everything, including a TV or projector?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks