What's new

What's Your Favorite Password App? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The title says it all. What's your favorite for use on Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Preferably one app for all three. I'm using Roboform but I'm wondering if I can do better.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve been using 1Password with the Family subscription for five or more years. I use it on iPhone, iPad, iMac, and Windows. Also has browser plugins.

I take advantage of the Family plan so that my wife and I can have shared passwords for e.g. streaming services and bank accounts, but also personal accounts for e.g. HTF and Facebook.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ve been using 1Password with the Family subscription for five or more years. I use it on iPhone, iPad, iMac, and Windows. Also has browser plugins.

I take advantage of the Family plan so that my wife and I can have shared passwords for e.g. streaming services and bank accounts, but also personal accounts for e.g. HTF and Facebook.
Bitwarden offers this feature free for two users (my wife and I). For families with kids they offer a family subscription.

Briton

Auditioning
Real Name
Briton
I use the free version of LastPass. I've been happy with it so never tried any of the others. I like that if I'm on someone else's computer I can just pull up the app on my phone to get the password I've forgotten.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I use Dashlane. I cannot compare it to others as it is the only one I have used. I have the paid family version. I had an identity theft problem a few years ago and got serious about passwords after that. I like that my passwords are now made up of random letters, numbers and symbols that have no rhyme or reason to them.

Clintster75

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint Merrell
The title says it all. What's your favorite for use on Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Preferably one app for all three. I'm using Roboform but I'm wondering if I can do better.

Another vote for Bitwarden. It's open source, it's cheap (I think I pay $10 a year, which you don't have to but I want to support the product) and it's pretty good. Not perfect, but very good. I has extensions for both Chrome and Firefix, and has apps for iOS, Mac OS, and Windows, which are all the things I use. I use it multiple times daily. Meanwhile, my wife resists and is constantly having to reset her passwords because she forgets to write them down.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
FREE Version App: aWallet Password Manager for Android, installed around 2011-2012.

The Free Version is not cloud base it's all in the local device as a database file. Starts off with 7 default categories - see pic. Includes an option to add / edit Categories.

Easy to update another device (i.e. phone > tablet - aWallet to keep both devices synchronized) by creating a saved encrypted / PW protected database backup-file (menu option: Backup data file named data.crypt) and then sending the file to the tablet via email. Download the file to the table and like Windows using a File Manager App,, just move it from the downloaded area into the aWallet sub-folder. Then choose the option Restore data file in the tablet - both are now synchronized.

As the years goes by, the grey cells are fading, and it's nice to have this program to recall the forgotten.

It's also available for Apple.

Attachments

• 20201229_135840.jpg
    20201229_135840.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Something to consider, whichever app you choose, is that they aren't necessarily limited to "passwords". I've been using these apps for going on 20 years as "data managers" to keep track of all my info that I do not want to lose / forget and need recurring access to.

And when you get it set up, make a hardcopy of the encryption passwords(s) and store it safely somewhere like a safety deposit box in case of emergency.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.39.45 PM.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A great feature added a year or two ago is support for two-factor authentication (TFA). The apps have the algorithm for the rolling codes. And they can read QR codes from on-screen that apps provide to seed them. And OS and Browser extensions can auto-paste the codes during login, making it nearly seamless.

(The password app itself can be TFA protected, and for that, you need a second app to hold that code generator.)

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 1.24.41 PM.png

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bitwarden offers this feature free for two users (my wife and I). For families with kids they offer a family subscription.
I’m looking at Bitwarden’s page now and I don’t see support for 2 in the Premium version.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Something to consider, whichever app you choose, is that they aren't necessarily limited to "passwords". I've been using these apps for going on 20 years as "data managers" to keep track of all my info that I do not want to lose / forget and need recurring access to.

And when you get it set up, make a hardcopy of the encryption passwords(s) and store it safely somewhere like a safety deposit box in case of emergency.

View attachment 84879
Those folders like Driver Licenses, Reward Programs, etc, did you create those folders or did they come with the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks