Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As all of us have already received or anticipating their new iPhone 6 over
the next weeks, I thought I would start a thread where owners could post
their favorite iOS 8 apps (Paid or Free).

This will ultimately help others select the most useful apps to compliment
their new iPhone.

In my case, the recommendations I make below are mostly productive apps
as I don't really do any gaming.

1password.jpeg

1Password has always been at the top of my list for storing passwords and
other important information. Nice to see that iOS 8 will allow 1Password to
autofill information on websites without having to leave the webpage. ($9.99)

fantastical.jpeg

Fantastical has always been one of my favorite Mac desktop scheduling apps.
It's so cool to use as it allows you to schedule calendar events as in realistic
language. In other words, simply type, "Meeting with Sam Posten on Wednesday
8-9am" and it will automatically fill your calendar with the correct information. The
iOS 8 app makes this even simpler, allowing you to simply speak the phrase and
have Fantastical auto-fill the information. ($4.99)

clear.jpeg

Clear - Tasks, Reminders & ToDo lists may not be the best of its kind out there, but
I have become accustomed to its clean interface that allows you to sync reminders
across all iOS devices and keep on top of your most important tasks ($4.00)

sunrise.jpeg

Sunrise Calendar for Google is perfect for a person like myself coming off of Android
where all my calendar events are synched with Google. This free app is a much nicer
calendar alternative which pushes reminders to your iOS screen of upcoming appointments.
(FREE)

yahoo.jpeg

Of all the weather apps I used on Android, Yahoo Weather had the cleanest, most
beautiful interface. The wealth of weather related information outpaced that of other
paid apps. It is perhaps the best free weather app available. (FREE)

jango.jpeg

I discovered a friend using the Jango radio app and I was really intrigued. What I love
about this streaming radio service is that it offers unlimited skipping and only one commercial
per day (if you link it to your Facebook account which it does not post to). Much better than
Pandora which has limited skipping and more commercials with its free service. (FREE)

notifyr.jpeg

One of my favorite functions of Android/Google was its ability to push notifications to your
desktop. So, when I switched back to iPhone, this was one of the first functions I had looked
to see if it could be done. Notifyr seems to effectively push any notification you receive on your
iPhone to your desktop, even while the phone is in your pocket or sitting in another room. This
eliminates the need to pull out your phone and keep you informed every time a notification arrives.

24.jpeg

I love personal assistants, calendars -- anything that will keep me on track of my schedule.
Found 24me recommended on an app site and decided to try it out for myself. Quite amazed
at how beautiful and functional this app is. It can tie itself to all your social sites to remind you
of birthdays and other events. Some are saying this could be the next big personal assistant
for the iPhone. Try it...it's free! (FREE)

MORE APPS TO BE ADDED TO THIS LIST OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS PLEASE CHECK BACK
ADD YOUR OWN RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Has anyone figured out 1Password and TouchID? You are supposed to be able to unlock the app without typing in your master password and just using TouchID. But I've found that I have to at least sign in initially with my master password and if I don't use the app for some indeterminate length of time, I have to use the master password again. It's a pain in the ass.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've used SplashID for ten years, upgraded and migrated across seven systems. I have 300 entries, including 200 web passwords. It is no small thing to say I'm interested in 1password. But I need help understanding it, and what it adds beyond Apples' auto-password entry.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any recommendations for PDFs? And / or technical (science literature) papers?

iBooks, it turns out, doesn't sync PDFs from iOS to OS X. It also has no filename or meta-data editing features. This is confounding me. I've got two needs.

1) Download PDFs to my iPad, which then need to be synced back to my desktop for long-term storage (and also vice versa). These are things like owners' manuals and game instructions. Easy syncing back and forth is a must. Ability to edit document names and author names is a bonus.

2) Science literature. I'm not a researcher, but I've got a small collection of papers for work reading. I download from work, email to home, and download to my desktop for long-term storage, and sync to my iPad for eventual reading. For these, I would buy a dedicated app that lets me edit metadata (titles, authors, publication dates, source journal).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I use Goodreader for PDF's and sync to Dropbox. I don't know if it will fit your needs, though.

I have a lot of apps on my phone but these are the ones I use the most:

Flipboard
Evernote
Anylist
Dropbox
Weatherbug
Workflowy
Swype

I'm about to start using 1Password.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Swype is working on its bugs.

Thank you for contacting Nuance Mobility Support!
This is an issue with the iOS 8 itself. Seems that the app is still having some conflict with the system itself. We have been working with Apple to resolve this issue. You might wanna check out these steps to see what else hasn't been done:
https://nuancemobility.zendesk.com/entries/55612214-Swype-Keyboard-iOS-What-should-I-do-if-the-Swype-Keyboard-is-missing-unresponsive-or-doesn-t-show-up
Also, you might wanna allow Full Access for the keyboard for the sake of troubleshooting. To do that, you have to go to: Settings > General > Keyboards > Swype Keyboard > Turn the slider for Full Access to ON
Lastly, we are releasing an update within a few days to permanently resolve this issue. The steps are just to ensure all possible causes are resolved. Let me know what happens next.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Continuing to add more recommended apps to my original list as I download them.

I am trying out some of the apps that you guys have recommended. Please keep 'em
coming!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this is the wrong thread for tho, but what is your favorite movie theater schedule app? I use Flixster and HATE IT. Number one reason: it doesn't preload/retain data. My usual use case is I am on the subway and want to check movie times so I know where to get off according to movie time/theater info.

I used have the perfect app: Now Playing(??) which did exactly what I wanted: it preloaded all the info, so I could browse on my subway commute and make a decision before I ever got any cellular data. Unfortunately their schedule data source got cut off, and the app was killed.

Is there anything out there to suit my needs?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Does anyone here use Tweetbot? It's expensive, especially the desktop version. What exactly does it offer that Twitter doesn't do?

Ted, I just use Google Now for movies. It pulls up showtimes for whatever theatre I'm nearby. I'm not sure if there's anything that will do what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks