What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 10th, 2017 Monday

Hacksaw Ridge
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K UHD
7.1 Dolby True HD / Atmos

Hacksaw-Ridge-new-poster-583x900.jpg

What a powerful story! I am blown away! My neighbor let me watch his copy that he just purchased but I will be buying this on 4K UHD as soon as I am able to do so!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 11th, 2017 Tuesday

Marvels Agents Of Shield

Dance With Wolves
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K UHD
7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

dances-with-wolves-movie-poster.jpg

IMG_2355.JPG

Cinderella
1080p HD-DVR Starz
5.1 Dolby Digital

cinderella-2015-movie-poster.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 13th, 2017 Thursday

King And I
1080p Vudu
5.1 Dolby Digital

It is amazing how with no stuttering and very smooth playback sound could be synchronized. After watching the movie and pausing and stopping and restarting and not being able to get the sound synchronized. I pulled the dvd off the shelf and continued from the point I left off streaming the HD version from Vudu. All this even though I have 150 mb/sec up and down and the video not only started quickly and never stuttered!

King And I
480p DVD
5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD would not dislpay full screen even though it is a wide screen movie. Instead it was widescreen inside 4:3 ratio screen so I also got the black bars left and right. This was fixed by switching tv to fit to screen from 16:9 for this title.

If the King And I was released in 4K UHD from a 4K scan I would buy it!!!! Would love to replace my DVD with a 4K UHD!

The-King-and-I-1956-movie-poster.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How old is that DVD copy you watched, Dave? The original Fox DVD was non-anamorphic letterbox but later DVDs were anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs.

A couple of weeks ago, I put in the much maligned Blu-ray and watched it on my new OLED, upconverted to 4K, and you know what, there wasn't even a hint of a blue tint about this transfer. In my Blu-ray review of the movie, I mentioned that the transfer lacked sparkle, but on this OLED, whatever issues I had watching it on a plasma were completely gone. I also put in Desk Set, another Blu-ray cursed by many for its overly blue tint, and it wasn't there either.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How old is that DVD copy you watched, Dave? The original Fox DVD was non-anamorphic letterbox but later DVDs were anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs.

Hey Matt, I have an old DVD version and I believe it is the one released 03/09/1999 so it is most likely the non-anamorphic letterbox like you said. I would have rather watched the HD version of the film from Vudu but it is hard to enjoy a movie when the sound is not synchronized. Sounds like the Blu-ray would be nice to own so I guess if I find it for a really good price I will pick it up. I do how ever really want this title on 4K UHD. Nice to hear that your no longer having that blue tint issue with the blu-ray on your oled. I bet that looks really good upconverted to 4K especially with your oled. I have a Samsung 4K UHD TV that is not oled and am considering getting a oled in the near future if I can get a better paying job to buy the tv. Will look at the LG and the Sony when the time comes.

IMG_8622.JPG

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I just recently upgraded to an Oppo 203 and an LG OLED55C6P -- and am overjoyed thus far with the performance of both units. If there is a level beyond overjoyed -- constant bliss maybe -- then that's me! I'll watch a couple of the UHD4K discs that I have managed to squeeze out of my budget: Lucy, Deadpool, Mad Max Fury Road, Warcraft, Shin Godzilla (watched once already and may revisit), or Fantastic Beasts. Other than those, I want to catch up on a couple of Twilight Time blu-rays: Peyton Place and Three Worlds of Gulliver. Life is good at the moment...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Oppo 203 is the player I want to upgrade to from the Samsung I currently own. I want to get the Oppo 203 and the Marantz SR-7011 surround receiver to upgrade my Pioneer Elite SC-05.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Going to go see Fate of the Furious tonight (for free, I love having my son work at the theater.)

Then I still have the last 2 Harry Potter movies, Billy Lynn's Long Walk, Hacksaw Ridge, Fantastic Beasts, F&F 6 and 7 and Gatsby that I haven't watched on UHD yet... Probably knock 2-3 of those out at some point this weekend.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A couple of weeks ago, I put in the much maligned Blu-ray and watched it on my new OLED, upconverted to 4K, and you know what, there wasn't even a hint of a blue tint about this transfer. In my Blu-ray review of the movie, I mentioned that the transfer lacked sparkle, but on this OLED, whatever issues I had watching it on a plasma were completely gone. I also put in Desk Set, another Blu-ray cursed by many for its overly blue tint, and it wasn't there either.

THAT THERE is some pretty interesting information, Matt. Is that getting discussed anywhere else? I would bet there'd be a lot of people interested! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks