What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Red Sparrow, a first time for me. Although I felt that the story creators(s) seemed to have an unhealthy fascination with sexual degradation of women - which I also feel about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I found the story consistently interesting until right at the end when I lost the plot. I'm going to have to watch the last 15 minutes again. The Blu-ray disc has an abundance of "extras" and I'll sample some of them today.

If I have time I'll watch Diamonds Are Forever where I've just upgraded to Blu-ray.

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
I will watch it tonight Getting prepped for the 31st
91xWdtFCKvL._AC_SX385_.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 27th, 2019 Sunday

Well while I will still be watching scary movies outside of October the scary movie challenge for October will be coming to an end very soon.

Miss Peregrine's Home For Particular Children
4K DCP / HDR (4K Apple TV)
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

mphfpc-poster-gallery.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I had a second viewing of Red Sparrow and this time I worked out what I had missed the day before.

Today I'm going to watch The Steel Trap, one of Teresa Wright's less well-known films with Joseph Cotton.

Steel Trap, The.jpg

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Sullivan's Travels (1941) - I picked up the Criterion Blu-ray in their most recent flash sale, and we watched the film, extras, and commentary over the past few nights. I'd seen this one before but so long ago that I'd forgotten a lot of the details. It's a splendid Preston Sturges comedy intercut with enough dramatic moments to communicate his message without beating us over the head with it. Joel McCrae is perfect as the privileged, naive movie producer who wants to do social commentary. Veronica Lake is great as a failed actress and his traveling companion, and there are a host of terrific character actors in the supporting cast. A very nice documentary on Sturges is included with the extras. The commentary track was enjoyable but not as informative as I would have liked.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
After spending the weekend in Houston at the opera (well-sung productions of Verdi's Rigoletto and Handel's Saul), and a visit to an extraordinary exhibit of works by the great impressionist artist, Berthe Morisot, followed by A Very Private Exhibition, a collection of masterworks belonging to an anonymous collector who must be worth billions, and who has amazing good taste, we're back home and watched:
The Guilty (Magnolia BD) 2017. Unusual Danish thriller where the camera is basically trained on a police officer who's answering emergency calls while awaiting trial for murder while on duty. He answers a call for help from a woman who apparently has been kidnapped and then...The camera never leaves the one set and hardly ever the officer's face. Very good film with many moral twists and turns.
A Game of Death (Kino BD) 1945. Robert Wise directed this quite good remake of The Most Dangerous Game. It does stand on its own two feet in spite of use of stock footage from the earlier version. Wise uses the camera imaginatively and effectively, aided by his editor. Worth a watch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
@bujaki I almost bought "A Game of Death" as a blind buy, but I read a bad review which changed my mind. I think it was Leonard Maltin, who didn't like the acting in the movie. I might pick it up at the next Kino sale in November.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
@bujaki I almost bought "A Game of Death" as a blind buy, but I read a bad review which changed my mind. I think it was Leonard Maltin, who didn't like the acting in the movie. I might pick it up at the next Kino sale in November.
The print is a bit ragged at times. It really is a good remake. Wise had nothing to be ashamed of here, one of his earlier efforts and obviously done in a shoestring. Plus I don't think I had ever seen it before, as it is now owned by Paramount (!), and it was my missing Wise picture.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 29th, 2019 Tuesday

Well tomorrow will be scary movie day which will most likely end my push for scary movies even though I will still have movies here and there throughout the year.

Exodus: Gods And Kings
HD DCP upconverted to 4K
5.1 Dolby

exodus_gods_and_kings_ver4.jpg

Possible viewing list for October 30th, 2019
  • Jigsaw
  • Annabelle
  • Friday The 13th

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 30th, 2019

Well due to projects and time constraints only have time for two horror movies today which brings me to 13 scary titles for the October of 2019.

Annabelle
4K DCP / Dolby Vision
5.1 Dolby

Annabelle.jpg

Jigsaw
4K DCP / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos

c61268d1aaa8340a8f581d5b60b9661c.jpg

Next horror movie since I did not have the time to get to it will be Friday The 13th!

Here are some movies coming into November rotation @ the moritz home theater!

• Wizard Of Oz - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Scarface - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • The Hobbit: The Deslation Of Smaug - 1080p Blu-ray
  • Friday The 13th - HD DCP iTunes
  • My Fair Lady - 50th Anniversary 1080p Blu-ray
  • The Patriot - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • The Green Mile - HD DCP iTunes
  • Scary Movie - 1080p Blu-ray
  • Star Wars IV: A New Hope - 1080p Blu-ray

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Exhibition (Criterion Channel) 2013. Joanna Hogg directed another film with a distinct directorial voice...many ellipses, fragmentary scenes, snatches of dialogue: all attempting to flesh out a story of a marriage between artists and the house they're trying to sell after living there for over 18 years.
No Greater Glory (Criterion Channel) 1934. Another Frank Borzage jewel, this one based on Molnar's The Paul Street Boys. A rather good encoding of the film. A bittersweet story of a gang of kids fighting for a turf; the film is anti-military, anti-war, anti-jingoistic propaganda. And oh, so moving!
4D Man (Kino BD) 1959. Did I see this as a child when it came out? I know I did want to. Anyway, good presentation and interesting flick.
Magnificent Obsession (Criterion BD) 1935. Best we'll ever see of this early version of the Douglas novel. I happen to like it because I like Stahl's even direction. Will compare it to Sirk's version later. BTW, I have seen both versions before.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In order to receive a $2 credit on my next rental or purchase at Vudu, I watched one of their Free with Ads selections that's getting ready to end at the conclusion of this month. I chose a movie I'd never seen before but kind of wanted to: Abduction.

This was Taylor Lautner's bid for movie stardom after the Moonlight saga had concluded, but it didn't do much business. The central set-up wasn't bad, but there were plot holes aplenty, and Lautner just isn't a very expressive actor: he's rather robotic in movement, and I've always found him dead behind the eyes. Real pros like Jason Isaacs, Maria Belo, Alfred Molina, and Sigourney Weaver act circles around him adding to the vacuum of his central performance. It was about 103 minutes or so, and the action narrative held my interest despite pathetic, ill-advised attempts to introduce romance in the middle of this thriller (I know the scenes were there simply to appeal to his teen fan base). John Singleton directed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks