What's new

What's cooking? (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I had 5 nice big russet potatoes to bake. I thought to myself "Let's google a new way to bake em and see if anyone has good suggestions".

Both Bon Apetit and The Kitchn had the same idea: Rub em down with olive oil, rub on salt and pepper. Put on oven rack, bake for 50 minutes. Cool, done!

So there I was 10 minutes later fanning my smoke detector as the oil dripped down to bottom of stove, and smoked for an hour without ever burning itself out.

So, don't do that. Put em on a pan or foil, not open racks.

73DDCF4B-07D4-4964-B8C6-4A15FD7C6A29.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If I shouldn’t post this here, let me know and I will delete. Anyone using an air fryer? Do you like it and what brand and model is it?

I’m looking at these two:

I really want to replace one of our current counter top devices. The instant Pot could replace our toaster oven (though you have to flip the bread) and the Ninja could replace our Instant Pot pressure cooker. My brother-in-law just got his and while he hasn’t used it yet, he says the air frying part is too small.

So what say you about air fryers?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have never personally used one but I have one or two friends who swear by them. It seems like one of those things where you’ll either love it and won’t remember how you lived without it, or it’ll be a “yeah, it’s okay” kind of thing. If you pull the trigger on it let us know!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't have one. Some people love them. Some reviews say they're worthless. I don't fry much anyway so hasn't been of much interest to me.

I don't know how you'll replace a toaster oven with an instant pot. Totally different uses. I'd want to read some (non-amazon) reviews of the Ninja before buying. I'm skeptical of a device that claims to excel at both pressure cooking and toasting.

If you want a good toaster, Breville is the way to go.:) I've got this one. Hardly need an oven with this thing!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't have one. Some people love them. Some reviews say they're worthless. I don't fry much anyway so hasn't been of much interest to me.

I don't know how you'll replace a toaster oven with an instant pot. Totally different uses. I'd want to read some (non-amazon) reviews of the Ninja before buying. I'm skeptical of a device that claims to excel at both pressure cooking and toasting.

If you want a good toaster, Breville is the way to go.:) I've got this one. Hardly need an oven with this thing!
What I should of wrote is “The Instant Pot brand air fryer.” This item also operates as a toaster oven.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We have one. My wife loves it. I do not. Everything that comes out of it is tough and/or dried out - especially fries, vegetables, and chicken. There's no oil to hold flavors in/on and if you coat the food with oil before cooking the device dries it out/off negating its use. "Fries" do not hold seasonings, are dry on the outside and not nearly as fluffy inside (she also tries to pass off baking them in the oven with similar poor results). It's one of those things where I know instantly by the taste/texture of something that she's used the air fryer to cook it. She's used it several times with different things, every time without my knowing how the meal was prepared, only for me to say after the first bite "You tried the air fryer again I see." Maybe she's not using it right or it's just not a "good" brand/model - I don't know and I'm not buying another one to find out. Several of her friends and family use them and swear by them. Ours is collecting dust right now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm reviewing episodes of America's Test Kitchen I've recorded and kept for future cooking. In Pork Two Ways (S19E24), they reviewed air friers. The recommednations were:

Top Pick: Philips Turbostar Air Fryer Advanced Digital Model
Best Buy: GoWise USA 3.7Qt 7-in-1 air fryer

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm reviewing episodes of America's Test Kitchen I've recorded and kept for future cooking. In Pork Two Ways (S19E24), they reviewed air friers. The recommednations were:

Top Pick: Philips Turbostar Air Fryer Advanced Digital Model
Best Buy: GoWise USA 3.7Qt 7-in-1 air fryer
There are several Philips on Amazon, some over $300. All are from 4 - 4.5 starts.
The GoWise models are also highly rated.

It was important to us that we replace either our insta pot or our toaster oven. We didn’t want to have a 3rd appliance out on the countertop and we aren’t the kind of folks who want to put away and pull out appliances. The Ninja Foodi FD401 was going to replace the insta pot and be our air fryer. I ordered it, but so did my brother-in-law in CA and got his and aid it wasn’t what we were looking for. He’s used it once, that I know of, to air fry a whole kitchen. He said the chicken was ok. We canceled that order.

We ordered the Omni because it could replace our toaster oven. So we’ll stick with the Omni and see how it works. I appreciate you finding those who fryers for us.

I’ve discovered the Instant Pot is now making an air fryer lid to be used with their instant pot.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I need a new air fryer.

But, I need one with the ceramic basket, because the ones I had with the metal ones all rusted fairly quickly.

Anyway, emergency chili, because after finding fresh hamburger again, it turns out it goes bad within three days and today was day two and browning was starting to occur.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Have any of you used this service: https://www.grassrootscoop.com/

It’s pricey, but we are tempted. Considering we can’t get any cuts of meat we usually want. There’s a coupon for $30 off $150. $120 is the minimum for free shipping and shipping is $25. So with that coupon we old get $150 for the $120 we’d have to spend for free shipping.

This site was recommended to me by someone on my Nextdoor app.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use any mail-order / online / delivery food services. (Nothing against them. Our grocery stores are pretty good with quality butcher shops and pre-packed options. And the subscription services don't solve problems I have for prices that appeal to me. :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks