What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
It's kinda easy to call someone out for being wrong...but I'd like to know more.Patrick: Do you cook full meals in a mic?And I know there are entire cookbooks on the subject, but I don't know anyone who uses it for more than re-heating or cooking side dishes, etc.
Many fried foods(not deep fried) work very well in the nuke.I've done quick bacon for a BLT in the nuker.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My microwave actually has a baked potato button. I just pierce the potatoe skins with a fork or knife, put them in the micro and press the button, then when the oven shuts off, wrap each potato in aluminum foil for about 10-15 minutes to finish cooking. Always perfectly done.

If you already have the big oven running, they're best in there, but I wouldn't run my oven for an hour just to cook a couple potatoes.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
It's kinda easy to call someone out for being wrong...but I'd like to know more.

Patrick: Do you cook full meals in a mic?

And I know there are entire cookbooks on the subject, but I don't know anyone who uses it for more than re-heating or cooking side dishes, etc.
Actually Mike, for me it is only easy to call someone out for being wrong when in fact they are wrong.

I don't cook full meals in a microwave but that is not what I call out as wrong. I was specifically addressing several broad reaching blanket statements
that are wrong.

"The words "microwave" and "cooking" must be kept mutually exclusive"

"Microwave is exclusively for "warming up", "defrosting", or making popcorn."

"No actual, credible "cooking" can be done with a microwave."

All three of these statements are simply wrong so I had no problems calling them out.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Many fried foods(not deep fried) work very well in the nuke.I've done quick bacon for a BLT in the nuker.
Totally forgot about bacon. It's one of the few foods you can truly cook quite well in the nuker. Wrap them in paper towels, zap for a few minutes and they're great. So much neater than frying with all the splatter and grease, no cleanup, just toss the paper towels, or even better, use them as fire starters in the winter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've actually never tried nuking bacon, but if it saves me cleaning up the spatter on the stove I'm all for it!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nathan's Beef Franks in Potato Rolls. Fresh sweet corn -- grilled in the husk, as advised in the BBQ/Grill thread.
IMG_4373.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
Actually Mike, for me it is only easy to call someone out for being wrong when in fact they are wrong.

I don't cook full meals in a microwave but that is not what I call out as wrong. I was specifically addressing several broad reaching blanket statements
that are wrong.

"The words "microwave" and "cooking" must be kept mutually exclusive"

"Microwave is exclusively for "warming up", "defrosting", or making popcorn."

"No actual, credible "cooking" can be done with a microwave."

All three of these statements are simply wrong so I had no problems calling them out.
All I was saying is that a lot of people say microwaves can be used for cooking meals...but I've never known who has done it. Anyone I know only seems to use the microwave as a small part of the cooking process (say, to cook the bacon that will be added to the burger which will be cooked in a fry pan or grill)

Since you can't tell me otherwise, maybe someone else will stop by who can.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
All I was saying is that a lot of people say microwaves can be used for cooking meals...but I've never known who has done it. Anyone I know only seems to use the microwave as a small part of the cooking process (say, to cook the bacon that will be added to the burger which will be cooked in a fry pan or grill)

Since you can't tell me otherwise, maybe someone else will stop by who can.
This is really turning into the theater for the absurd at this point.

First you post that it is "kind of easy to call someone out for being wrong...." I posted again the wildly wrong statements I called out, were the statements correct or were they wrong Mike?

You asked if I cook full meals with the microwave as if that has anything to do with the wrong statements I called out. I answered no I don't cook full meals just using a microwave but now that I think about it I could easily cook a full meal in the microwave would stand up well to anything you could make not using a microwave. It really all depends on the dish you are going to make.

I'm not sure where this fixation on cooking full meals with the microwave is coming from but it is ridiculous. When I cook I tend to use a combination of the various cooking stations I have from the Oven, Microwave, Stove and Grill. Is a meal made using various cooking stations somehow diminished? Of course not.

Have I every cook something more then side dishes in the microwave? The answer is yes. The one I have cooked the most is poached salmon and it has always comes out excellent.

So there, now you know of someone that cooks more then just side dishes with the microwave.

Since you are so curious about microwave cooking why not go out of your comfort zone and try something new.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
Have I every cook something more then side dishes in the microwave? The answer is yes. The one I have cooked the most is poached salmon and it has always comes out excellent.

So there, now you know of someone that cooks more then just side dishes with the microwave.
Thanks, Patrick! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Hewell said:
Am I the only one who cooks their bacon in the regular oven?
When I'm cooking a large batch I use an oven. Put the bacon on a wire rack that fits into a cooking sheet. Place into an oven and set the preheat to 400. By the time it reaches 400 it's done. It's an easy way to cook a lot of bacon quickly.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Speaking of bacon....

I got a great deal on cod the other day: 1.5 lbs for $5. Too much to use as baked/fried fish so I'm making up a batch of cod chowder with half of it.

51101050.jpg

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Summer-Corn-and-Cod-Chowder-51101050

I'm using a few less green onions so I chopped up a half a smaller yellow onion left over from yesterday. I substituted Italian spices for the thyme, and a local Idaho russet instead of the Yukon golds.. Otherwise it's pretty much by the recipe. The only thing I had to get at the store was some half-and-half since I normally never buy such stuff.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
For the first time ever, yesterday I bought goat. Rib chops from a local farmer's market. Any suggestions?

The seller also included a BBQ recipe along with a spice mix, but just looking for other ideas. I froze them, so no hurry. I just want to do a little more research.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Stan said:
For the first time ever, yesterday I bought goat. Rib chops from a local farmer's market. Any suggestions?The seller also included a BBQ recipe along with a spice mix, but just looking for other ideas. I froze them, so no hurry. I just want to do a little more research.
Never had it but I have read/heard that goat is very lean which generally means marinating and slow cooking is best to retain moisture. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I often feel guilty at eating an animal and I rather not no where my dad bought it at.

To make me feel a little better I call it Space Alien meal that way I don't have guilty conscience. I can easily quit meat meals and go vegetables.

Does anyone else here feel guilty? I kinder feel sick to my stomach right now. I've not really bothered buying food this week, trying to save up, might buy small groceries and might try and cut back on meaty ready microwave meals for once and go for something different? Maybe stir fry or is it steam fry?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks