What's new

What's cooking? (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Patrick_S said:
WrongIf you know what you are doing you can actually cook many things in a microwave.
I doubt you'd find many trained chefs that would agree with that statement..... don't get me wrong, we have a large family and our microwave gets a workout sometimes but it's always when we don't have time to actually "cook" something.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you'll find many trained chefs that would agree with that statement.I'm not saying it can be used for everything but it certainly can be used to cook correctly several things.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not here to be a snob; I'm no great chef, evident compared to several members posting here. But sharing the recipe of stirring water into a box cake mix or heating up frozen foods...not what I'm hoping for :)I don't care what you cook with: Jenn-Air oven, microwave, open flame, NG grill, liquid nitrogen: they're all just tools to make tasty food.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am interested in simple, fast dinner options. I've been in a rut for the past few years. I need some new weeknight dinners.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
DaveF said:
I am interested in simple, fast dinner options. I've been in a rut for the past few years. I need some new weeknight dinners.
I feel your pain....we have a large family and have struggled with seemingly eating the same meals repeatedly. But our best variety is when we grill, 3-5 times a week. We've found you can grill just about anything....meats of course, but also veggies, pizza, fruit (pineapple on the grill is delicious as are peaches), etc. And grilling imparts a different flavor to foods that we love.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
atfree said:
I feel your pain....we have a large family and have struggled with seemingly eating the same meals repeatedly. But our best variety is when we grill, 3-5 times a week. We've found you can grill just about anything....meats of course, but also veggies, pizza, fruit (pineapple on the grill is delicious as are peaches), etc. And grilling imparts a different flavor to foods that we love.
I like that idea. But to make my wife happy, I need a means to grill spaghetti :)

And I do love a grilled pineapple...
View attachment 11772

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
I'm sure you'll find many trained chefs that would agree with that statement.I'm not saying it can be used for everything but it certainly can be used to cook correctly several things.
Okay, call me a nerd, Sheldon, whatever. But I used to experiment with microwave ovens.
I tried a potato, then an egg, all safely enclosed in a glass container.

They done blowed up real good.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
DaveF said:
I like that idea. But to make my wife happy, I need a means to grill spaghetti :)And I do love a grilled pineapple...
I have actually done baked spaghetti on the grill. Partially cooked spaghetti (halfway), drained, then mixed with meat sauce, put in deep aluminum baking pan, covered with mozzarella and cooked til done on grill with hickory wood chips in smoker box. Very good!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Stan said:
But I used to experiment with microwave ovens.
I tried a potato, then an egg, all safely enclosed in a glass container.

They done blowed up real good.
I pre-cook baking potatoes in a microwave before finishing them in an oven. But as mom taught you have to pierce them with an icepick to let the steam out.

Tonight it's spring pasta. Small beefsteak pieces marinated in balsamic vinegar, EVO, minced garlic, and fresh chopped rosemary. Pan sauted in EVO with red onion, zucchini, and roma tomatoes, then cooked penne stirred into the pan.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
I pre-cook baking potatoes in a microwave before finishing them in an oven. But as mom taught you have to pierce them with an icepick to let the steam out.

Tonight it's spring pasta. Small beefsteak pieces marinated in balsamic vinegar, EVO, minced garlic, and fresh chopped rosemary. Pan sauted in EVO with red onion, zucchini, and roma tomatoes, then cooked penne stirred into the pan.
I must admit, microwave ovens are great for potatoes and sweet potatoes/yams. But always pierce them with a few holes or they truly will explode. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need a new way to cook potatoes. I've been microwaving them for the past 6 years. But my new microwave is a potato disaster! The outside is overcooked and the inside is raw. I haven't been able to get it right, and gave up this year.

I've got a nice toaster oven. Maybe I can do like Dennis does, and nuke it first, then finish in the Breville.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
DaveF said:
I need a new way to cook potatoes. I've been microwaving them for the past 6 years. But my new microwave is a potato disaster! The outside is overcooked and the inside is raw. I haven't been able to get it right, and gave up this year.I've got a nice toaster oven. Maybe I can do like Dennis does, and nuke it first, then finish in the Breville.
Here's one way my wife and I do them:Parboil whole unpeeled potatoes for 7 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes. In large boil, mix 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup parsley flakes, 1/4 cup minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.Cut whole potatoes into quarters (wedges) and toss in olive oil mixture. Put on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes on 425, turning once during baking. You can also do these on the grill instead of the oven. Also, we experiment with different spices/herbs in the EVOO mix.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I need a new way to cook potatoes. I've been microwaving them for the past 6 years. But my new microwave is a potato disaster! The outside is overcooked and the inside is raw. I haven't been able to get it right, and gave up this year.

I've got a nice toaster oven. Maybe I can do like Dennis does, and nuke it first, then finish in the Breville.
I can tell you one way NOT to do them. I baked some russets a while back, thought the skins would get nice and crispy by coating them with EVOO. Big mistake, they were just soggy, greasy and messy. Skin was inedible.

Just scrub them a bit, rinse, poke a few holes and put them in the oven for an hour or so, perfect every time. Potatoes are actually pretty good out of a microwave, but I can only do one, maybe two at a time, microwaves are so unpredictable. Hot spots, cold spots, part of the potato will be perfect, another section ice cold. Even with a rotating platter, I still have to move things around every few minutes. Much easier to just use a regular oven and walk away, no baby-sitting, but when you're in a hurry...I do like what Dennis mentioned. Partial pre-cook then finish in a regular oven. I'll have to try that out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Breakfast was fried eggs, which I've found benefits from a little extra care. Crack a pair of eggs into a custard cup, with butter on the ready. Pre-heat a non-stick skillet on low for five minutes. Put the butter in so it foams and melts slowly, within a minute.
IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4364.jpg

Put the eggs in, salt and pepper, cover, and start the timer for 90-120 seconds.
IMG_4367.jpg
IMG_4368.jpg

Marvelous, sunny side up eggs, which go well on top of toasted, buttered English muffins.
IMG_4369.jpg
IMG_4370.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Stan said:
I can tell you one way NOT to do them. I baked some russets a while back, thought the skins would get nice and crispy by coating them with EVOO. Big mistake, they were just soggy, greasy and messy. Skin was inedible.

Just scrub them a bit, rinse, poke a few holes and put them in the oven for an hour or so, perfect every time. Potatoes are actually pretty good out of a microwave, but I can only do one, maybe two at a time, microwaves are so unpredictable. Hot spots, cold spots, part of the potato will be perfect, another section ice cold. Even with a rotating platter, I still have to move things around every few minutes. Much easier to just use a regular oven and walk away, no baby-sitting, but when you're in a hurry...I do like what Dennis mentioned. Partial pre-cook then finish in a regular oven. I'll have to try that out.
How much oil did you use? I usually just brush some oil on to get the kosher salt to stick and I've never had soggy skin.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
How much oil did you use? I usually just brush some oil on to get the kosher salt to stick and I've never had soggy skin.
No exact measurements, just poured some oil in a dish and rolled the potatoes around in it. It was just a small amount, preheated the oven, coated the potatoes with a bit of oil to moisten them so the kosher salt would stick. Maybe just old potatoes?

We've got the new crop coming up pretty soon so I'll give it another try.

It seems like it would be tough to screw up a baked potato, but it can be done. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
WrongIf you know what you are doing you can actually cook many things in a microwave.
It's kinda easy to call someone out for being wrong...but I'd like to know more.

Patrick: Do you cook full meals in a mic?

And I know there are entire cookbooks on the subject, but I don't know anyone who uses it for more than re-heating or cooking side dishes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks