What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
also, saved and framed those cool poster inserts for Drac, Frank, and the Wolf Man from their very first dvd release.... AND those busts that came later with that first complete Legacy Collection set-- still displayed on my bookcases

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
also, saved and framed those cool poster inserts for Drac, Frank, and the Wolf Man from their very first dvd release.... AND those busts that came later with that first complete Legacy Collection set-- still displayed on my bookcases

Yup, when I traded in the Legacy sets to Bull Moose after getting the Complete Classic Monsters blu-ray set, I kept the box with the busts.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
WIN_20220608_22_50_16_Pro.jpg
me pride and joy!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
First movie was ether Red Dawn or Iron Eagle on VHS tape.
First Laserdisc was "Aliens"
First DVD was 'Tomorow Never Dies'
First Blu was 'Terminator 2'
First 4K - 'The Martian'

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
(It's curious how people gripe about the price of some 4K discs - and I spent over $100 for my Criterion "2001" back in ?? and I have no idea how much that translates into 2022 dollars.)

$163.25 in todays dollars ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
To this day I remain annoyed with Universal for not continuing the series with busts for The Invisible Man, The Mummy, The Phantom of the Opera (as well as failing to create a "Legacy Edition" with the silent and half-baked color remake), and The Creature. I, too, still have them on display. My oldest grandson (now 18) called them "Those men" when he was old enough to ask about them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another good thread idea (but I'll bet it's already been done): What movie have you re-purchased the most? For me it was Highlander....
For me that would be Frankenstein (1931). 8 copies total from VHS to BR with Dracula (1931) a close 2nd at 7 copies. Every time there was a new release that upgraded something on the print I'd get them again. With the last BR releases I think I'm done - I just don't see how they could be improved any further.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If we're talking about movies that we've repurchased the most, I haven't counted but as a huge James Bond fan, I've always purchased all the Bond films in whatever format I graduated to.

- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- Cheech and Chong
- Beavis and Butthead
- They Live
- etc ...

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
My first purchases were VHS copies of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and The Time Machine purchased at Druckers in Clifton NJ back in 1983 . These cost an arm and a leg , but I followed them up quickly with 7TH Voyage Of Sinbad!

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
This has been a fun thread!

The first "movie" I got on physical media was likely the Super 8 digest version of Star Wars. Even though it was a fragment of the film, it was great to then-me.

Beta: Star Trek 2
VHS: The Godfather
LD: The Producers (old pan/scan version)
DVD: L.A. Confidential (I bought several WB snapper discs when I first got my player in 1999)
BD: Wall-E
I haven't adopted UHD disc.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If we're talking about movies that we've repurchased the most, I haven't counted but as a huge James Bond fan, I've always purchased all the Bond films in whatever format I graduated to.
Likewise. First CBS/Fox VHS, then MGM VHS, then remastered MGM VHS, then widescreen laserdisc, then DVD, then remastered DVD, then blu-ray, then 4K digital.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish I had kept my old Bond VHS tapes. I’m kinda digging the look and feel of some of my old tapes and have been playing with my VCR a little bit. Mostly watching films that were either 4x3 to begin with or 1.85:1 films that are open matte on tape - trying to avoid panning and scanning on this nostalgia run. Although I did track down a 1980 MGM-CBS oversized box VHS copy of “2001” (my favorite film) that was identical to the rental version I first saw. That brought back memories!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
First VHS purchase was A View To A Kill. I was 10 and I did see Octopussy in the theater but I had missed Seeing A View To. A Kill. The poster on the vhs really sold me on saving my $ to buy it.

Dvd it was Tomorrow Never Dies Special edition. What a great dvd that was! I was blown away by the fun extras and the menus.

Blu-ray it was Batman The Movie 1966 in 2008. However I am thinking it may have been The Simpsons Movie. I recall getting this as a gift and exchanging it for the Blu-ray…..
I also ordered many of the James Bond films on Blu-ray during this same time along with a Blu-ray player November and December 2008.
Live and Let Die
Thunderball
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
For Your Eyes Only
Die Another Day

4k 2017 November
Red
Red 2
I did not get a 4K player until August of 2019.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My first answer on the film I have purchased the most is A Clockwork Orange. I bought the laserdisc, DVD, BluRay and the UHD.

I’m almost positive I bought The Road Warrior in all those formats too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks