What's new

What to set cutoff Frequency at? (1 Viewer)

black89

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh P.
First off Hello I've been a lurker for a few months now. I found a wealth of info. here from just reading but need some precise input.

I'm totally new to HT at this but think I have a decent grasp. I moved into my new house to find that the previous owners had left the speakers for the surround sound. All the wireing was ran in the wall so I was excited to have my first surround sound setup!

After some research I purchased a Onkyo 505 thinking that some optical cable was all I needed. I went home to hook it up to my 32" sony wega HDTV and bose speakers. I started hooking up the wires and the ones in the front were going through the sub..... I thought that was stupid the cross over was in the sub (really base module) so I came on here and figured out the crappy proprietary bose setup damm!ttt

I hooked it up and it doesn't sound too bad but I have no base and the high's are sucky but I can deal with it tell I get new speakers. This is my first HT and I know i'm entry level.

I have the model 100 rear speakers here: it say's there full range on the bose sight but I can't post url's yet. I noticed most speakers by bose they say to set the cutoff at 200 but these it doesn't.

And my fronts and center are the three 2.5" cubes ran through the base module with the stupid 200hz crossover.

My question is about the settings on the AV unit to get the best sound until I can get new speakers. I ordered the 10" Dayton sub that everybody likes and am getting it today. Hopefully this will be a slight imprvement.

So under speaker setup I turn sub to on. LFE to high? How about my frequency cross over should I keep that at 200hz?

I ran the self calibration and it seemed to work ok but I wouldn't know if I could personally do it better.

Sorry so long,

thanks

black89

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh P.
Long version is in AV basics.

Basically got a Onkyo 505 to hook up pre existing bose speakers. I started to hook it up and was like WTF the wires go thorugh the sub??? I read all the threads on here and learned i really need to buy different speakers. My bose spearkers are the 2.5" cubes for the front and center ran through the base module with the 200hz cross over in it, and the model 100 bose 4.5" full range rear (so they say).

I'm trying to improve my setup first by buying a sub. I just received my Dayton 100 I'll let you know what I think...

What settings on my AV do I need to change?

Size of front center rear speakers? I have the fronts large, center small, rear small.

Turn sub to On I would imagine? And turn LFE to high?

How about cutt off freq? Right now it's at 200hz...

and anything else you can think of. I did the self calibration with the mic and it seemed to work.

I'm not looking for something crazy this is my first setup. I'll buy new speakers later. To me it doesn't sound half bad like it is I just want a little more bass for movies and a little louder trebel for music.

Thanks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
One thread per topic, please. Your two threads have been combined here.

M.

black89

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh P.
lol OK sorry excited to get my system to the best it's capable of :laugh:

Also, what settings for the imaging and diminsion?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum Josh, First, make sure to go into receiver setup and set all speakers to small. Then set the cutoff in receiver to 80hz(THX) and LFE to 0db. After that, take a look at your subwoofer itself and adjust the setting for the cutoff freq/Hz all the way up to 180 or 200hz, which ever is the highest range it goes to. That will take the subwoofers crossover out of the signal path so you're just using the crossover from the receiver. Now, volumn is a setting you will need to experiment with in your own house, since the correct setting for everyone is almost always different and based on surroundings. These are all basic recommendations, but, it is a good place to start. You can determine after this what you prefer.Good Luck. Again,Welcome.

black89

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh P.
Thank you Troy. This site is amazing for people starting out in HT.

I tried to run the auto cal with the microphone but it changed my fronts to large and it didn't sound as good IMO. I guess I just have to play with all the setting's in the EQ now to fine tune it. My cutoff was set to 200hz so I'll change that to 80hz tonight and see how it sounds!

Thanks again

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My Pioneer receiver does the same as well. I use the auto calibration as a starting point. When finished, I change all of the speakers back to small. I then pull out my calibration DVD and SPL meter. I'll confirm the level settings and adjust if necessary. I'll then confirm the distance settings in the receiver using a tape measure. Yes, I sit my wife on the couch and measure from the speaker to her ear. My receiver is pretty accurate here so no changes are ususally required. Finally, I'll check the frequency response of my sub using the SPL meter and test tones. With my parametric EQ it is flat. No changes are necessary unless something in the system changes.

-Robert

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With 4.5" drivers those rear speakers won't be "full range". I agree with Troy about setting your sub to it's highest cross-over, but I would set the 605 to 200, or whatever is closest, for the fronts and center since they don't go much below that. Setting it to 80 (THX) might damage them. For the rears you could probably go as low as 100-120 but I don't like having too large of a difference in cross-over settings so I would likely go with 150 or so. Feel free to experiment. And the Dayton 10" subs have a listed frequency response of 40-180 so you will lose a bit of the FR (180-200) up front if you replace the "BassModule" with a typical sub. That's one of the reasons why Bose cubes are not real popular around here. But it might sound better anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks