What's new

cutoff frequency on my sony sub??? (1 Viewer)

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
I have a knob for a cutoff freq on my sony sub, it goes from 50-200, what setting should I use? also there is a button for normal and reverse, I have it set to normal and I have the sound level set halfway. thank you.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
If you're feeding the Sony sub from the sub pre-out jack on your receiver, then set the crossover knob (that's what it's called) on the sub as high as it will go. That way, your receiver will handle the crossover duties without interference from the sub.

The other button - normal and reverse - is a phase control. Use it in the position where the bass seems the loudest.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony SA-WM20, by any chance? That's what I have. After a fair amount of experimentation (but no measurement), I have the sub crossover turned down all the way -- to 50Hz -- and the volume at the midway point. My other speakers are full range and are set to "large" on my receiver, which has its subwoofer control set to "PLUS"/"BOTH".

The standard advice for sub setup is to set speakers to "small" and turn the sub's crossover clear up. When I tried this, the sub boomed at any reasonable volume level, so I turned down the sub's crossover to about 110Hz to get rid of the boom. (The receiver crossover was set to 100Hz). That sounded ok, but not as good as the setup I describe in the paragraph above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks