cutoff frequency on my sony sub???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

I have a knob for a cutoff freq on my sony sub, it goes from 50-200, what setting should I use? also there is a button for normal and reverse, I have it set to normal and I have the sound level set halfway. thank you.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

If you're feeding the Sony sub from the sub pre-out jack on your receiver, then set the crossover knob (that's what it's called) on the sub as high as it will go. That way, your receiver will handle the crossover duties without interference from the sub.

The other button - normal and reverse - is a phase control. Use it in the position where the bass seems the loudest.

3. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

I'll try that thanks alot.

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

The Sony SA-WM20, by any chance? That's what I have. After a fair amount of experimentation (but no measurement), I have the sub crossover turned down all the way -- to 50Hz -- and the volume at the midway point. My other speakers are full range and are set to "large" on my receiver, which has its subwoofer control set to "PLUS"/"BOTH".

The standard advice for sub setup is to set speakers to "small" and turn the sub's crossover clear up. When I tried this, the sub boomed at any reasonable volume level, so I turned down the sub's crossover to about 110Hz to get rid of the boom. (The receiver crossover was set to 100Hz). That sounded ok, but not as good as the setup I describe in the paragraph above.