What's new

Receiver / Speaker Crossover Settings (1 Viewer)

ngrub3r

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I recently was given an old Pioneer receiver that works perfectly (VSX-D606s). I have a pair of SS-CS3 towers and a SA-CS9 sub.

The sub has a 28 to 200 Hz frequency response. It also states 50 to 200 Hz High frequency cut. It has a cutoff frequency adjust knob.

The towers are 45 Hz to 50 kHz.

The receiver as far as I can tell only has 3 crossover settings. 100, 150 and 200 Hz.

My question is just really what the ideal crossover settings would be, as I am very new to this entire thing and I did some research but I'm not 100% sure still. Currently I have the receiver set to 100 Hz in the crossover and the subwoofer cutoff frequency knob turned all the to 200 Hz so it won't interfere with the receiver crossover. I believe all the speakers are set to "small". Are these settings ideal or should I have the receiver set to 200 Hz? Any advice is much appreciated in advance. Thank you.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Using what you have, I'd set the receiver crossover to 100hz, and the sub to max (or off).

But 100hz is fairly high for modern subs. So if those towers have as good a low end as their specs, you probably want to be at 60-80hz. And if so, I'd put a new receiver on your upgrade wish list. You can tell how soon you'll need the upgrade by running the towers as Full (no sub) and seeing how they sound. If it's markedly better, then expedite the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks