What's new

Help Choosing Sub Cutoff Frequency (1 Viewer)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently upgraded to a Yamaha RX-V1400 and I am now starting to rethink my speaker settings. This unit comes with YPAO which is a automatic speaker configuration tool and it seems to do a good job of setting my speakers up, but I find my sub a little over powered now, stuff rattles in the room that id not use to :).
So I want to set it manually.
My Mains are Paradigm Monitor 7's and the sub is a Paradigm PDR 10.
The Monitor 7's have the following ratings, Low Frequency Extension of 33 Hz (DIN). Which says indicates -3dB in a typical room. Frequency Response is +/- 2 dB from 47 Hz to 20 kHz.
The PDR 10 has Low Frequency Extension of 27 Hz (DIN) and cutoff frequency is from 50 Hz to 150 Hz.

If someone tell me what to set it to and could explain briefly why, I would sure appreciate it.

Also should I set the Monitors to large or small in the setup?

Thanks,

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I would assume that you have used an SPL meter to set the levels? It also depends on whether you are talking movies or music. I would not go entirely by the specs. If you don't have an RTA (real time analyzer) then the SPL meter with a test disc with test tones (e.g. download at http://mdf1.tripod.com/test-tones.html or a disc such as http://www.delosmus.com/cgi/cart/ite...17501074135006) should be able to tell you where you about where mains drop off in the room (every room is different). The ideal for music vs. home theater might be different. Bass frequencies sum, so for a music only system one would normally set the crossover frequency for the sub at a point that is below where the mains drop off in the room. It would depend on the crossover and the properties of the crossover (it may be different using what is in your receiver vs. the sub crossover controls).

If using what is in the receiver you would also want to make sure that the sub crossover on the sub is not set at a point below what you are using in the receiver and therefore leaving a hole in the reponse. So in summary, measure what your speakers play in the room and then measure with a test disc and try different combinations to see what gives you the smoothest response in the base area.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
From the sounds of it I would set the mains to small 50hz (if you can do that) with subwoofer at 50hz. Buy a sound pressure meter and manually check the Yamaha's auto calibration. 75dB to F/C/R/SR/SL/RR/RL and sub to either 72-77dB, depending on taste.

DO NOT set your mains to large, they are not capable of producing 20hz bass.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Stuff rattles now?? I would leave it, and try your best to findout what is rattling, and stop it.

It sounds to me like you have at least decent calibration and your sub is performing very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks