What's new

What is the greatest invention ever? (1 Viewer)

E

Eric Kahn

Lasagna rates way above pizza in my book:)
and canned whipped cream is right up with cheese in a can

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The vacuum tube (transistor's predecessor)

The computer (because every appliance/device will have one inside it).

Electricity

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't beer invented by the Egyptians something like three thousand years ago?
No, Ancient Simmerians (Not to be confused with the Cimmerians of the hyperborian age) brewed primitve beer roughly 10 to 15 thousand years ago. I say primitve because they didn't have carbonation or ICE-versions of beer.
The Egyptians did invent the first (currently historically known) monotheistic religion.
Assuming fire isn't an "invention", clearly the Knife would be most important. It led to the creation of other tools, which lead to future inventions including soap (Can't make soap without fire and a container of some sort....Hmm, need tools to make a container to boil soap-fats in).
Assuming you want the "most important" invention that isn't 50,000 (creationism...Ha!) years old.... Biological Warfare. Guns don't kill people, Influenza, polio, mumps, measels, anthrax, and tuberculoisis kill people. Just ask the 20,000,000 dead native americans who died before 1610, or the Neanderthal of northern Europe.
Yes, Germs (especially the animal-based ones) paved the way for conquest, travel, idea-spreading, stolen technology, farming (how do you think wheat got so common?), religious doctrine, civilization, and so forth.
Don't believe me? Read "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond. (My favorite book).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If this was an important invention poll, I'd say the wheel.

Since this is the greatest, I'll have to say the motion picture camera. As Lillian Gish said, no other invention has had such an impact on a civilization.

Brad_V

Second Unit
A/C electricity is high on the list. Thank you Nikola Tesla. And Thomas Edison, if you're listening, you're a weasel and you suck.
:)
Other than that, is MacGuyver considered an invention?

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Liquid Prell.
More important that the heart-lung machine?
Yes. Drop the heart-lung machine in the sink and it breaks!

Thanks to the 2000 Year-Old Man.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Fake boobs.

Heh, heh, heh.

Seriously, I agree with the fellow who said THE TRANSISTOR. Without them, there could be no fake boobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks