What's new

What is the greatest invention ever? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My first g/f asked me this some 8 years ago. All I could come up with was the Wheel.
For her, it was writing.
I have yet to hear anything top that.
--
Holadem

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The plough. When Connections was on, the host said that this was the single most important invention allowing humans to leave the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Fire would be close as well.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Some (including me) would argue that fire isn't an invention. It was tamed. Saying humans invented fire is the same as saying humans invented horses.

Andy_S

Second Unit
This may be one of those unanswerable questions since everything is tied together. Without tools, a plough couldn't be made. So what's more important? The tools or the plough?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Ron, somehow I KNEW you'd say that! :)
Personally, I don't think "writing" can count as an invention either, just like "fire". Even if it could, I don't see it as the greatest invention.
Of course, you also have to define "greatest". Do we mean the one with the biggest impact on human history? Then the plough is a good one. If we mean something that "only" revolutionized our society, I'd argue that gunpowder, dynamite and nitrogen (NPR had a series about this recently) are three candidates too.
/Mike

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Minor, but critical, would be The Assembly Line. But I'd probably fall back on The Printing Press as it laid the groundwork for education, enlightenment, and the preservation of culture.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
From a military point of view, and therefore form a social point of view, the stirrup is usually referenced.

I'd also say 'zero,' which eluded people as a concept for quite a while. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Man, that's easy.
5.1 Doly Digital / DTS sound systems and big TVs with DVD and LaserDisc Players.
Anyone going to argue with that?

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Farming. Without the concept, humans will still be living as hunters and gatherers. Let me have my opinions on what others had said:

a) gunpowder: it revolutionized warfare and was responsible for the downfall of feudalism in Europe. The modern nation-state was formed because of the benefits of gunpowdered weapons.

b) the printing press: it revolutionized communications, as information can be distributed much faster than writing by hand. It was responsible for the Reformation (a religious topic I will not talk about) and the the Enlightenment of the 18th century. It also encouraged literacy.

c) fire: fire is found in nature. Humans only discovered it.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Metallurgy

The native americans got along without the wheel. Not because they were not intellectually capable of inventing one, but because it did not offer a significant advantage for the hunter gatherer lifestyle.

Carpentry tools have to be make of metal to be effective.

A plough has to be made of metal to offer an advantage over wood.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Anyone going to argue with that?
Of course, that's what we're here for!
Fire by itself isn't an invention (prior art 35 USC 102 problems :D ) but artificial fire (e.g. fire by friction drill or fire by flint striking) could be an invention. Just waiting around for lightning to strike wasn't terribly helpful.
I claim:
A fire making method, comprising:
striking a flint with a stone;
kindling sparks issued by said flint and said stone utilizing shredded material; and
blowing on said shredded material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks