What's new

What is the best way to clean DVD's? (1 Viewer)

TonyG

Auditioning
I have so far had great success with ordinary eyeglass cleaning solution from Wal-Mart and the micro-fiber eyeglass cleaning cloth they also sell there. This $5 solution has worked for every skipping or stuttering DVD I've owned and rented over the past 3 years. I have always gently wiped from the center out.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I read somewhere about caring for CDs that you should not wipe a disc concentrically, but from the center outward.
John is right, the correct way to wipe is from the center to edge, wiping concentrically will cause the laser to follow concentric scratches, scratches from the center to edge usually have no effect.

I think the eyeglass cleaner sounds good, personally I think washing them is kind of a pain.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I agree with Sean, liquid dish soap will not harm and works great!

Wes

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Sean,
I use the same method.. dish soap on the fingers and a warm rinse.. then blot dry with a paper towel. On some of the rental discs I get, I figure anything could improve them. ;)
BTW, I'd suggest something like Ivory liquid.. unscented.

ace peterson

Second Unit
I'm surprised nobody here mentioned anything about rubbing alcohol. I haven't tried it yet, but it would seem to me that it would have the advantage over rinsing with water since the alcohol evaporates so rapidly.

For the Maguire's plastic cleaner and polish, try a motorcycle shop. It's available there for the Lexan windshields in motorcycle fairings. There is both a cleaner version and a polish version. I've not used either on discs, but they work great on airplane and motorcycle windshields.

Ross

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I've used Rain-x on my cds in the past w/great results, but have yet to use it on a dvd. Just a drop or two worked wonders even on scratched cds.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks