What is the best way to clean DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ace peterson, Dec 8, 2001.

1. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

An help at all would be appreciated. A search found only one thread talking about using dishsoap and water. Wouldn't rubbing alcohol be better?

Thanks in advance.

2. WilliamJulien

Do not use soap. DVD's are plastic and plastic is pours and absorbs what is put on it. Over time the oils, dyes, colors, and perfumes in the soap could turn yellow or cloudy. Run warm water and wipe with thick 100% white cotton towel (not a paper towel) from center to outside edge. Do not use a circular motion. If this is not enough buy a CD cleaning system. You could use a plastic cleaner like Plexas or Mequiar's Clear plastic cleaner.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    First obvious answer: don't get them dirty.

Water and a clean, LINT FREE, 100% cotton towel will help minimize scratches.

Alcohol is not bad, but just water should work fine. Do not use amonia.

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Interesting idea to use Meguiar's Plastic Detailer. I use this on my car's headlight covers and am very pleased, but never thought about using it to clean DVDs.

5. John Garcia

John
    McGuiar's acrylic polish works wonders, since that's what CDs are made of. [​IMG] I've brought a few CDs, with the inevitable scratch, back from unreadable.

6. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

7. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Ace,
    I ordered mine directly from Meguiar's. You can reach them at (800) 545-3321. They're located in Irvine, CA. Last time I checked, their website had product info but you couldn't place orders online (www.meguiars.com).
    I just looked through the Meguiar's catalog, and I believe the stuff is called Clear Plastic Detailer.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I can't help but think that the Meguires would be some sort of a petrolatum based cleaner/polish and would be ever so slightly abrasive, maybe even abrasive enough to cause cloudy hazy micro scratches, that wouldn't show up on the somewhat more durable headlight lenses or whatever.

I buy an occasional DVD from the pawn shops and sometimes there will be a smear on the disc and I have found that a mild dishsoap works best.

What you do is make sure your hands are clean, run luke warm water, get fingers and disc wet, pour a drop of dishsoap on fingers and rub into lather, then gently wash disc in a circular motion, rinse very well, shake disc vigorously back and forth, then use a 100% cotton T-shirt and wipe extremely gently from center to edge, and you have a squeeky clean disc! Of course this is such a gentle process it will do nothing for scratches just smudges.

Dishsoap generally does not have any oils or waxes so I believe it rinses 100% clean.

Also once washed and cleaned it should never have to be cleaned again if handled properly, i.e DO NOT loan them out!

9. WilliamJulien

Sean,

Have you ever noticed 5 year or older convertible rear windows. Start looking you will notice 2 kinds. The one owner that used soap and Windex. It is yellow and clouded. The other kind the owner uses Meguires or other plastic care products. It will be clear. Now how do you want your DVDs and CDs to look in five years, hazy or clear? You can not predict what the long term effects are from using soap, but Meguires is formulated for PVC and plastics.

10. Sean Conklin

William, I agree on your convertible window statement 29.6%, I think the sun, rain, outdoor elements, and the fact that Polyvinyl materials are suseptible to UV rays, would contribute a lot more to the yellowing and hazing than windex or a mild non abrasive detergent.For DVD's it should be a 1 wash deal and your done, the disc should not have to be washed again if handled with care.

Also that beautiful convertible window will most likely have micro scratches from the Meguires and similar products, that you cannot see because of the somewhat cruder construction.

A DVD is a very delicate piece of plastic and anything with a grit rating of 10,000 or less will make a noticable haze of microscratches that can easily be seen if you hold it up in the light. A DVD disc is made from a mold from the factory and has not been introduced to any polishing or smoothing agents. Even the very gental 100% pure Carnuba wax has trace amounts of naturally occuring abrasives.

I have used a product called "3M Finesse It II"(which has a grit rating of 8000) to polish my weathered taillight lenses on my old musclecar and the Finesse It polished them to look like they were fresh out of the mold! I used the Finesse It on a mildly scratched CD and you could definitely see a haze when held to the light.

IF the Meguires is known to be 100% wax and abrasive free, then it might be ok. But being a plastic/acrylic polish I would bet there is some sort of an abrasive agent to obtain the cleaning and polishing!

Dishsoap cuts grease and wax and does not leave a film and because the disc is only going to be washed once(hopefully)it is rinsed well and there is NO residue left to cause ANY amount of yellowing or decay, it's just not in the nature of Dishsoap to do this.

I can tell you I have CD's that are 10 years and older that have been washed per my instructions and they look the same as they did 10 years ago, PERFECT! I have proven it to myself that mild dishsoap and lukewarm water have absolutely no detremental effects to the disc whatsoever!

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

A little bit of spit and a cotton shirtsleeve works best for me... [​IMG]

12. Sean Conklin

John, actually the naturally occuring acids and mucous content of spit is....................[​IMG] just playin'

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Sean: Actually the naturally occuring acids and the mucous (a base) offsets each other providing a nice gentle, slightly acidic solution. Then again, YRMV, depending on what you've recently eaten... or not eaten. [​IMG]

14. Sean Conklin

lol!!

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Sean:

I am not in any way an expert on this matter (in fact, I know very iitle about it), but I was under the impression that one should NOT rub in a circular direction.

Larry

16. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Actually there are a number of products on the market. These are mostly for CD's but should be useful for DVD's (do DVD's have a different coating than CD's?).

Audio Advisor or any mail order shop should have them listed. Any "high end" store will have a brand or two. Most of these products are very useful when the surface is really scratched. For ordinary cleaning, I use an old discwasher CD HydroBath with solution to clean both DVD's and CD's.

rw

17. John Garcia

John
    By the way, most AUTOMOTIVE parts places will likely carry McGuiar's plastic polishes.

Sean - yes the polish is abrasive, but it is about as fine as I've ever seen, and does NOT add any scratches that are visible. I bought it because there was a scratch on my car's rear tail light, and I'd rather try $10 of polish before spending $250 to replace the lens - it worked. It will not REMOVE serious scratches, but it will reduce most visible scratches. ie; you will not have a perfect disc after using this stuff, but it will be better than when you started.

I also have these polishing pads that I picked up at a Semiconductor trade show that work very well. I have never been able to find something like the commercally, but they work almost as good as the polish without liquid or loose abrasives (something to do with the fibers).

18. Sean Conklin

John, I totally agree, a slightly microscratched DVD will be better than a DVD with deep playback effecting scratches, micro scratches will not not effect playback in most cases.

Larry B:

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Usually what I do is just rinse the disc off with warm water- then shake it (the disc nearly dry). Then, I take a 100% white cotton shirt to dry it off in the circular direction of the disc.

20. John Garcia

John
    I read somewhere about caring for CDs that you should not wipe a disc concentrically, but from the center outward.