What's new

What is ISF Calibration? (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I have heard people talk about having it done and being thrilled they spent the money but what is it and what really does the tech do? Is it more than just going into the menu or using Avia(or something similar)?
I just bought a Panny 36HX41 and will get it on Sunday and I am scared of the the infamous geometry problems. If the geometry is not bad(or even if it is) will it being ISFed help straighten out? Thanks.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Thanks Gregg, it looks like that turned into quite a thread
wink.gif

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Your welcome!!
If you have any further questions, feel free to post here or to blast me an email. Ive helped / watched more than 20 calibrations now, and have even done several under Michael's closely watching eye. Next step, scraping the money together to attend the ISF class :)
To specifically answer your question about geometry, some techs wont do it, others will just do touch up from the convergence grids, others will do very good eye ball from the service menus, and a few will run strings and go all out which can take MANY hours. Just remember the fee you pay doesnt always correspond to the quality and level of the tweeking.
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Jeremiah
Just make sure that you are clear as to what truly represents an ISF calibration: grayscale adjustment and picture settings. Everything else (geometry, focus, etc.) actually fall outside the ISF training and availability (as well as cost) will vary from tech to tech. Also, make sure that your tech uses a color analyzer in adjusting grayscale (you can actually specify this as a search parameter at the ISF website dealer locator). It is a tool that generates an objective measurement of color temperature and does not rely on subjective assessment. Any ISF tech who has neither a color analyzer or (at a minimum) optical comparitor should not be allowed to wave that flag - they are unable to perform one of the fundamental adjustments represented by this certification. Also remember that not all techs are created equal - ask for references.
Good luck!
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks