What's new

What Is "Dark Chip 2"? (1 Viewer)

bruce sherman

Auditioning
Some new HD2+ DLP sets now claim to feature something called "Dark Chip 2". What is this and is it a significant improvement over a similar DLP HD2+ set without it?

Thanks,
Bruce Sherman

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
sounds like something runco has been doing for awhile. they black out the chip (the gold part surrounding the actual mirrors), and this has less reflected ambient light (well, ambient light inside the projector) for better blacks. it works.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea that's what I read too. The actual color of the chip is black for better light control.

bruce sherman

Auditioning
I thought that blackening of the chip was true of all HD2+ chips. The ads and spec sheets make it sound like "Dark Chip 2" is something new and in addition to the HD2+ chip.

Bruce

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This is a feature of the TI chip, which is the same among identical models out there, whether marketed or not.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to correct myself, since Dark Chip 3 varations of the Hd2+ are(or will be soon) apparently out there, but claims of difference are very minimal, it's a slight change, and smaller than the 2, to 2+ improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks