What's new

Epson 5040 suddenly very dark even with new bulb (1 Viewer)

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
This has probably been addressed earlier, but there are so many pages, I can't seem to find it. So... 5040UB, have had it for a few years. Always looks amazing. Within the last year, the image has gotten noticeably darker. I assumed it was the bulb (2414 hrs) so I finally changed that out 2 days ago. The image is STILL dark. Can't even tell there's a new bulb in there. These are using the same settings I've been using for years. Both HDR and SDR. What should I be looking at next? The HDMI cable? I've dusted the lens, so it's not that (unless it's on the inside). Is this darkening just expected wear and tear on the machine? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Also, the Epson also has a harder and harder time recognizing HDR. I usually have to switch back and forth now 5-8 times before it recognizes the HDR signal. Maybe related (the cable), maybe not. I've been using Orcus Varuna's 4K HDR Digital Cinema settings from a few years back. Looked incredible for the first couple years. :) Playing on Sony X800 multi-region Blu player and streaming via Roku Ultra. Both equally dark now. If anyone has advice, thanks!

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
I'm gonna try replacing the HDMI cable. I need to get a 25ft cable. Any recommendations for the 5040? Fiber? Want to get the best, strongest signal possible to see if that makes a difference. Suggestions?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Before you go spending a bunch more money on cables, is the projector's own menu screen also darker? If everything is darker (including the projector's menus, such as the test grid menus) even with a new bulb then it wouldn't be the cable causing it. But if it is only the image coming through the HDMI cable that is dark and having a problem detecting HDR, then it might be the cable.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Before you go spending a bunch more money on cables, is the projector's own menu screen also darker? If everything is darker (including the projector's menus, such as the test grid menus) even with a new bulb then it wouldn't be the cable causing it. But if it is only the image coming through the HDMI cable that is dark and having a problem detecting HDR, then it might be the cable.
Thanks for that, Mark. I'm gonna check.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
It's hard to tell based on the menus and test patterns of the projector alone. They seem ok, but hard to tell if they are dimmer than before. Watching discs I know well (and streaming shows), I'm noticing that the image is darker AND with a slight green tinge that wasn't there before. Gonna try a new cable. Any recommendations on trusted cables that do 48gbs and are actually HDMI 2.1?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Did your projector flip itself into a different brightness mode? Like ECO or something other than what you want? Mine seems to change itself once in a while. I'm not sure why.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Did your projector flip itself into a different brightness mode? Like ECO or something other than what you want? Mine seems to change itself once in a while. I'm not sure why.
It didn't. I do ECO mode for SDR and Full Power mode for HDR. Doesn't seem to be switching on its own. Though my Sony X800 4K player rebooted itself and restored all the factory settings. Now it won't output HDR from any of the streaming services. Used to output it just fine before. Mercury in retrograde? :) I really don't know what's going on, but I miss the way these used to work/look. Really want to figure out a solution.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Unfortunately, Epson's response was this: "Unfortunately the issue you are describing points towards an unrecoverable internal error and the unit may be in need of repair or replacement." My first 5040 had an "unrecoverable internal error" and they replaced the unit with a refurbished model. Now, just a little over a year later (and no longer under warranty), this happens. I love Epson projectors for their image quality and have been singing their praises, but this concerns me. I'm not in a position to buy a new projector. And I can't afford to buy something that has less than a 2-year lifespan. I know that's not the case with all of their projectors, but my experience has not been good on this front and now I'm stuck without a projector that is not watchable. Will see how much it is to repair. Not the Merriest Christmas over here.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Premium
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Was it an OEM lamp or 3rd party? Ive seen many new 3rd party lamps actually darker than the worn lamps they were replacing.

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Was it an OEM lamp or 3rd party? Ive seen many new 3rd party lamps actually darker than the worn lamps they were replacing.
OEM from Myprojectorlamps.com.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 2.53.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 2.53.14 PM.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 22

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Premium
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yup, not epson branded, unless it came in an Epson box.
Please note that I am not convinced it is the lamp that is the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoyoteJoey
Recent bookmarks