What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Looking forward to RFS, from a previous listen the Ladysmith is a fantastic SACD.

Based on info from this thread, have

Weather Report - Heavy Weather SACD en route as well.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got the Ladysmith SA-CD some days back, very good... I got a few more SA-CD's too. Two of 'em have really struck my fancy...Hiromi's Spiral, I like even more than her last album Brain. The last cut on Spiral, a so-called bonus cut, sounds like a leftover from Brain as it uses a sythisizer. The rest of the album is just 3 pieces, bass, drums, and Hiromi's piano. I'm not quite sure what to say about Hiromi and her piano other than I'm impressed! She's got jazz flowing in her veins. The title cut Spiral really impresses me. The bass player has a wonderful solo on what sounds like a picollo bass, not to mention Hiromi's spiraling solos too... Hiromi reminds me of Chick Corea without sounding like she's copying him. Me like-y! :emoji_thumbsup:
The other SA-CD that I've listened to repeatedly is the jazz group Hiroshima's album The Bridge. It's jazz with just a touch of Japanese music. They use the usual instruments but add some Japanese percusion and vibe-like instruments. They have vocals on some tunes. :emoji_thumbsup:
I also got Sam Cooke's Ain't That Good News, Groove Armada's Vertigo, and Simple Mind's Once Upon A time.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Received Ladysmith SACD a few days ago as well and can confirm it is a very good disc - Room For Squares impressed me as well so I am happy with that purchase.
Just received from a friend in UK the following which are excellent as well:
Talking Heads CD+DVD-A Remain In Light
Talking Heads CD+DVD-A More Songs About Buildings And Food
I'm going to continue paying a premium to get European released CD+DVD-A over Dual Disc as Dual Disc is a format I will not support.
I'll be looking at Spiral soon based on comments here. Thanks all.
edit:
OK I bit - Hiromi Spiral on the way. Also ordered another Talking Heads CD/DVD-A from UK - Fear Of Music. The more I listen to the the first 2 the more I like them - Remain In Light is a monster :)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I just got this dozen:

Muddy Waters "Folk Singer" SACD stereo.

Peter Gabriel "Shaking the Tree" SACD stereo.

Nnenna Freelon "Shaking Free" SACD Hybrid Multi-ch

Michael Feinstein "Michael Feinstein with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra" SACD Hybrid Multi-ch

B. B. King "Reflections" SACD Hybrid Multi-ch

Aaron Neville "Nature Boy" SACD Hybrid Multi-ch

The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" DVD-A 5.1 and CD set

Rosemary Clooney "Girl Singer" SACD Hybrid Multi-ch

Snow Patrol "Final Straw" DualDisc 48Khz/24-bit DVD-A

Bon Jovi "Have a Nice Day" DualDisc 48Khz/24-bit DVD-A

Dishwalla "Opaline" DVD-A 5.1

Jackson Browne "Running on Empty" DVD-A 5.1 and CD set

Muddy Waters, Nnenna Freelon and that goofy punk/bubble gum nonsense that The Flaming Lips call music are the standouts for me but I like all of them.

Chris

Oh ya, I was playing Ryan Adams "Gold" Hybrid SACD Multi-ch when writing this and it is a pleasant surprise for me so I guess I just got a baker's dozen.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
All are DVD-A.

R.E.M "The Best of R.E.M: In time 1988-2003" (Warner) -- Awesome disc. I really like the adventuresome mix of "Orange Crush". This means that I'll probably spend some time looking for "Green" to fill in the holes in my collection...

R. E. M "Automatic for the People". (Warner) A classic recording, though some of the tracks are available in 96/24 & 192/24 on the "In Time" compilation.

Kevin Mallon. Handel "Water Music" (Naxos). Eh. It's OK, though perhaps I'm not really into Handel.

David Juritz. Vivaldi "Four Seasons" (Naxos). Good recording. The second piece-- "The Assumption of the Virgin Mary " RV 581/582 shows some creative mixing options.

Abbado "Beethoven Symponien No. 5 & No. 6". (Deutche Grammophon) I've only listened to the "No. 5", but it's really quite an enveloping recording. Unless No. 6 is really flawed (and why should it be?), I'll be picking up the other Abbado discs.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up

Titanic SACD

Legend of Zorro SACD (terrific score!)

YoYo Ma plays Ennio Morricone SACD

Thanks to Danny Tse who alerted me to a 15% off coupon at Sony music site in another thread!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I just today received Steely Dan "Gaucho" DVD-Audio 5.1 and The Police "Every Breath You Take" Hybrid SACD Surround. Both are excellent.

Chris

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Regrettably, none in about a year, as I've not been listening to much music in that time period until the last 2 months. I am gearing up for a large purchase, though.

Last year my "most recent" purchases included Bela Fleck's Drive, The Allmans' Fillmore East and Eat a Peach, Elton John's Honky Chateau, and The Hot Swing Trio's (Mark O'Connor) In Full Swing, all SACDs.

In Full Swing warrants special mention. It is my current favorite hi rez selection, with excellent sonics and enjoyable material. Includes Wynton Marsalis and Jane Monheit. I'm not one who is into vocals much these days, and tunes such as Misty with a slow pace are typically not my cup of tea, but the version of Misty on this disc with Jane Monheit is absolutely jaw-dropping. No other selection, at least from a vocals perspective, has sounded more in-the-room-with-me than this one.

Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got 3 new SA-CD's:

Randy Brecker with Michael Brecker's Some Skunk Funk and the funk does fly!

Reiner & Chicago Symphony's Respighi: Pines of Rome & Fountains Of Rome and Debussy's La Mer

Charles Munch & Boston Symphony Orchestra's Berlioz Symphony Fantastique

Doug, you make that Hot Swing Trio sound muy bueno....

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember the last time I posted to this thread so sorry if this is old news.

I was able to pick up (used for around $7 each):

Eric Clapton - Slow Hand

Derek & the Dolinos - Layla

Elton John - Madman Across the Water

I have pre-ordered the five Moody Blues sacds from Amazon.uk

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Sigh - boy you people cost me a lot of money :)
Ordered
Mark O'Connor - In Full Swing
Larry please let us know how the Moody's are when you get them, I guess 2 are Stereo and the rest Stereo/MC.

I just received the Talking Heads Brick. Unfortunately I have a Pioneer 578 and can't play the hi-rez tracks. Living in Canada I would have to pay for the player to be shipped 3000 mi. to get it updated.

On a positive note, their (Talking Heads) Stop Making Sense dvd-video still amazes me and everyone I have shown it to.

Rgds

Emmett

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I just got a SACD player-- a Sony 2000ES (which sounds pretty damn spectacular playing audio CDs through the analog outputs). I last posted my DVDAudio collection a few posts above. With those glimmers of taste (or lack of same) in mind, would anybody like to recommend my first SACDs?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I just got a SACD player-- a Sony 2000ES (which sounds pretty damn spectacular playing audio CDs through the analog outputs). I last posted my DVDAudio collection a few posts above. With those glimmers of taste (or lack of same) in mind, would anybody like to recommend my first SACDs?
Jeremy,

If you are a subscriber to the yourmusic.com service, there are a number of classical SACD releases there for $5.99 each including shipping. If you aren't a subscriber, it is easy to join. I don't know if the selection would interest you but there must be a couple dozen of them. You can just put them in your queue and have them shipped one a month or buy them immediately. I really like the service.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks