What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Pink Floyd. Dark side of the... Oh, you've heard of it.

Rubenstein Beethoven Sonatas. Living Stereo. Finally, the distorting effects of the original stereo mixdown are removed, and the concert can be heard as the engineers intended: Three Mikes. Three Tapes. Three Channels.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I haven't purchased any hi-rez in a while, so yesterday was rather surprising...

I intended to get the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin DVD-A, which I did actually find in-store, to my astonishment. We also browsed a local used CD store, and I found mint copies of Elton John's Honkey Chateau and Madman Across the Water on SACD for 9 bucks each. Finding used hi-rez is next to impossible in this town, so I asked the sales guy if they had any more in stock. No luck there, but the two I snagged were still rather nice...

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I received and played this weekend:

The Who "Tommy" SACD Hybrid Surround

The Carpenters "Singles 1969-1981" SACD Hybrid Surround

Marvin Gaye "Let's Get it On" SACD Hybrid Surround

"Tommy" is the standout, not sure why I bought the other two.

Chris

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
not sure why I bought the other two.
I have few in my collection that makes me say that...:)
Like I was thinking..."Maybe this album sounds better in surround" and 8 out of 10 times I find out it doesn't.
Sometimes you have to take one for the team ...except for Silverline titles :crazy:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For those who wants the SACD of Stevie Ray Vanghan's "Couldn't Stand the Weather"....it's readily available at the Japanese HMV website. The price isn't so bad when compared to what people are asking on ebay. And since you're there, why not pick up Herbie Hancock's "Future Shock" SACD?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Anonymous 4 The Origin of Fire: Music and Visions of Hildegard von Bingen. (SACD-Harmonia Mundi)

The surrounds seem to be used to good effect, recreating the echos of the performance space.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
On SA-CD

Randy Brecker with Michael Brecker's Some Skunk Funk

John Mayer's Room For Squares

Michael Camilo's Rhasody In Blue

Spyro Gyra's Wrapped Up In A Dream

various- B & W Presents: Very Audiophile New Recordings

Reiner & Chicago Symphony's Debussy/Respighni's Pines of Rome and Fountains Of Rome and La Mer

Munch & Boston Symphony Orchestra's Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique

On DVD-A:

Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin

PaulT

Supporting Actor
LarryDavenport-
Couldn't help it - I'm with you - Preordered from amazon.co.uk:
Moody Blues
Days of Future Passed SACD (5.1 from Quad tapes)
In Search of the Lost Chord SACD (Stereo)
On The Threshold Of A Dream SACD (5.1 from Quad tapes)
To Our Children's Children's Children SACD (5.1 from Quad tapes)
A Question of Balance SACD (5.1 from Quad tapes)
You'll get them well before me - mine are going to a friend in UK who I won't see till the end of April :frowning:

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
just purchased Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" SACD

also Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" DVD-A

also, for the guy whi said he didnt know why he purchased Marvin Gayes "Lets Get it On" ? I dont know how that sounds but "The Marvin Gaye Collection" on SACD is an excellent sounding disc!

too bad there isnt a SACD/DVD-A trading thread. this is the only place where people keep on top of this stuff and I know I have a few to trade away.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
aaahhhh..... I guess I could. maybe we can get something going here. worth a try. I tried at another site I MOD at but really not enough action and members there into SACD/DVD-A.

worth a try.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I just got "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds" SACD surround.

Sham 69 "Best of - Cockney Kids are Innocent" DVD-A 5.1.

Widespread Panic "Don't Tell the Band" DVD-A 5.1.

And several other Silverline cutout DVD-A discs.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
also, for the guy whi said he didnt know why he purchased Marvin Gayes "Lets Get it On" ? I dont know how that sounds but "The Marvin Gaye Collection" on SACD is an excellent sounding disc!
I also have the "Marvin Gaye Collection" and agree it is awesome. "Let's Get it On" isn't in the same class music content or quality wise.

Chris

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I found the OOP Billy Joel "The Stranger" at my best buy. they have never had it in stock even when it was in print. I check weekly for years and finally this week there it was sitting there. where the heck did it come from ? lol I thought it was gonna be the regular cd in the SACD section.

best part was that it was $14.99 !!!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I found the OOP Billy Joel "The Stranger" at my best buy. they have never had it in stock even when it was in print. I check weekly for years and finally this week there it was sitting there. where the heck did it come from ? lol I thought it was gonna be the regular cd in the SACD section.
I found this SACD less than a pleasant listening experience. Unless there was a newer remaster of this SACD than the one I purchased a few years back...

Doug

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
thats to bad. I hope your wrong.

I actually heard it was pretty good. your one of only two people I have heard say this and even that person said it was still pretty good, just not as good as the 2 channel. he owns a very high end system too.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
All due respect to Doug, I think the Stranger SACD is outstanding (only listened to multichannel SACD, not stereo layer), and about 99% of the hundreds of posts I've read on the Stranger SACD are positive. You were lucky to find this, especially at that price. Don't worry, I'm confident you'll be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks