What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (3 Viewers)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the Shawshank quote, Mike. I know it well but I still sat here moved, reading it. Twice.
Re Sam Cooke CDs: No need to apologize, Gene. I appreciate your time and willingness to purchase a disc and send it to me.
Re "I thought cduniverse.com would have been more diligent in identifying their products but apparently not.": I think you might be missing part of the point I'm trying to make. You can't reasonably expect a large e-tailer like CD Universe to inspect each item they have for sale. They rely on info from the labels and distribbers. I mentioned the way to handle DTS CD titles. The BOC disc you mention sounds like a labeling error. In the case of the Sam Cooke title, the problem stems from the fact that ABKCO used the same SKU for the CD re-releases as the original SA-CDs. The distribber likely keyed off the SKU to generate the same (now incorrectly) SA-CD-branded cellophane the SA-CDs were wrapped in for the CDs. Same drill at the Fry's level for the price stickers. Bottom line is that the label's labeling seems accurate: it's a DSD-mastered CD. The Digi vs. jewel case packaging clue seems to still be the ticket (that Steve Hoffman thread example notwithstanding). All the other problems are downwind of the markings the label did. But damn them for using the same SKU. (But many of us have kvetched about this for years with Sony using very similar SKUs (different by one digit) for their SA-CDs.)
Anywho, thanks again for the 'ol' college try.' What with their excellent customer service, I'll try Amazon and continue e-mailing Marketplace merchants until I get a response from someone who knows WTF they're talking about.
Re "But not $154! (+ $2.98 shipping).": More power to 'em, I say. I bet you'd feel differently if you were selling on Marketplace (as I am). It's a global store. All it takes is one person for whom that price works. If that's not you, keep on clickin'. I just sold a copy of JT's Flag for a little south of that. Especially with the devaluation of the dollar, many such titles (and especially gold CDs) are very attractive to audiophile consumers in Asia.
Re "I have that in my cart, and have been waiting for it to be closer to $20.": /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif Current Marketplace pricing for that SA-CD New starts at $19.13.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never bothered to look at the sellers for that one, maybe I'll bite on it there.

On those abko's, they seem to have released the first ones in cardboard sleeves as the sacd as with the Stones releases then later on put them in regualr cd cases while removing the sacd layer without changing the sku.
The other problem is the cardboard sleeve have no indication they have a sacd layer on the outside of the sleeve.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there a definitive answer to which of the following is better: a DVD-A of a title or a DTS audio DVD? I've actually run into both versions of Vince Gill's High Lonesome Sound. This is another artist I'm not too familiar with...but the prices on each are low enough to make me consider a blind buy.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow, Mike--you continue to insist on making things more complicated than they deserve, huh? ;)
First a small but significant quibble to keep things clear: that's not a "DTS audio DVD" (which would be a movie with a DTS audio track) on the left. That's a DTS CD . . . which, unless the title is not available on true high rez, you shouldn't be considering buying now that you bought my Pio 563A and thereby have DVD-A capability! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif DTS CDs are very good but lossy. DVD-As are more magically delicious lossless.
I'm a big Vince fan (and have this DVD-A). Unless you're format fetishizing (and we all do to some extent in this thread?), I'd recommend some of his other albums over HLS (none of which are on high rez). 1994's When Love Finds You and 1998's The Key are both outstanding IMO. Although it's on my copious 'to buy' list, I don't have his 2006 release, the 4-albums-in-one-release These Days, but have heard nuttin' but good things. The one that brought him major critical/Grammy acclaim, I Still Believe In You (1992), is fine as well.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Re "But not $154! (+ $2.98 shipping).": More power to 'em, I say. I bet you'd feel differently if you were selling on Marketplace (as I am). It's a global store. All it takes is one person for whom that price works. If that's not you, keep on clickin'. I just sold a copy of JT's Flag for a little south of that. Especially with the devaluation of the dollar, many such titles (and especially gold CDs) are very attractive to audiophile consumers in Asia.
If you have the only one available at the time then I can see putting a ridiculous price on it but why would someone price a disc @ $154 when several are available right above it for around $50? I realize that he could have put his up for sale first, but still....Anyway, it doesn't really matter. People can price things however they wish.

First a small but significant quibble to keep things clear: that's not a "DTS audio DVD" (which would be a movie with a DTS audio track) on the left. That's a DTS CD . . . which, unless the title is not available on true high rez, you shouldn't be considering buying now that you bought my Pio 563A and thereby have DVD-A capability! DTS CDs are very good but lossy. DVD-As are more magically delicious lossless.
As Paul said, a good DVD-A should always be better than a DTS cd but a couple of amazing DTS cd's are Fly Like An Eagle by The Steve Miller Band and Not Fragile by Bachman-Turner Overdrive. Pretty agressive surround mixes if that's your pleasure. And the fact that they play thru the digital connection is a plus for many systems without proper BM among other things.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you have the only one available at the time then I can see putting a ridiculous price on it but why would someone price a disc @ $154 when several are available right above it for around $50?

Dovetailing back to my earlier comments about how 'larger' sellers are less likely to pay attention to particulars, the answer to your question is likely that some sellers aren't paying attention to the market. Maybe they aren't daily adjusting their prices based upon what the competition is doing. Unless you use 'sniping' software that automatically adjusts your price in response to other sellers listing the same item for less, you don't get notice as an Amazon Marketplace seller that someone else listed a copy of what you're selling but for less. You have to review your inventory regularly/daily. Not practical for an individual hobbyist or a boutique with, say, a few thousand items up for sale . . . but those are the sellers who respond more often than not to e-mail and know SA-CD from HD DVD. (And then there are sellers like Woody's Books, which notoriously has had prices in the stratosphere for years. Obviously there are customers keeping them in business.)

But the more fascinating question is 'why would someone BUY a disc for $154 when several are available right above it for [less]?' Because some buyers aren't paying attention either. But some folks have legit reasons: I have 100% positive feedback and have had sales wherein a buyer chose my listing at a higher price because of that higher rating compared to the competition. Again, more power to 'em. No need to cast aspersions at Saks on the way to Marshalls. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, gents.
I don't mean to make things more complicated. It's just a knack I sometimes have! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Thanks for explaining about the DTS CD situation, Paul. I've got a couple of those, a Diana Krall for one...and didn't realize they were lossy. They're CDs but with surround mixes. Huh. I'll get this figured out one of these days. I realize I should know better...but I AM here to learn! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
Yes, I asked about the Gill discs only because I am jonesing for more high-rez audio to move into my collection. I don't know Gill's music much at all...though I'm a HUGE fan of his wife's music--not that one has much to do with the other most times.
Who knows? If I like something off HLS, I might just check out something else of Gill's.
==========================
Let me throw another question out there to you experienced high-rezzers...
Does anyone have any of the CD/DVD combos from the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band? If so, whaddya think?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Steely Dan's Gaucho DVD-A (from the not insignificant high rez section at the Anaheim Fry's: much Telarc, Blonde On Blonde, Sam Cooke [but not Portrait, dammit], multiple Pet Sounds, all of the EJ's except Madman, John Coltrane, Eric Clapton). Worth a peep if you're going to Disneyland.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"
ON ACCOUNT OF THE RARITY AND COLLECTABILITY OF THIS ITEM, THERE WILL BE NO RETURNS. All questions prior to bidding WILL be answered.
No surprises from me or from you. Thank you."
/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So I bought Peter Gabriel's new CD Scratch My Back, the special edition with a bonus CD with four additional songs/mixes. Now, I know this is not a hi-rez record, but included in the booklet was an insert which gave me three months access to Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound, where I could download the album in 24/48 resolution (as FLAC files), it sounds great! The album is really recommended in any format, cover albums can be a bit boring, but these are really interesting and personal versions of the songs.

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
OK, for those of you looking for ELP's Brain Salad Surgery in Hi-Rez, this is where you buy it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Salad-Surgery-Palmer-Emerson/dp/B0017M8XS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268482959&sr=8-2

11.99 pounds is roughly 24.00. It cost me 36.00 when it first came out. Yes, it is SACD, not DVD-A. Shipping from UK to US was about 8.00 via airmail.

It is more expensive to purchase it via Amazon USA (37.00). That is not uncommon with many imports.

BTW, I also have the BSS DVD-A. The SACD version blows it away! The only reason I keep the DVD-A version is for the bonus track- Lucky Man. That sounds totally unbelievable!

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
Jean-Pierre Ferland -- Jaune DVD-A
Miles Davis -- In A Silent Way SACD (US Version with MC mix)
Kenny Loggins -- Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow SACD
Mark O'Connor -- In Full Swing SACD

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry to be slightly off topic...

I'm hoping someone here has the Telarc/Zander/Philharmonia Mahler 9th Symphony and can confirm the packaging. I purchased one used and it came in a 2 disc case with the third disc just kind of stuffed in the back. My Mahler 6th from Zander/Telarc is not packaged this way. It is in a 3 disc case. I find it very hard to believe Telarc actually did this. Can anyone confirm how it was actually packaged?

Thanks

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jaco Pastorius Big Band--The Word is Out
Diana Krall--When I look in your eyes and The Look of Love
Sam Yahel, Mike Moreno, Ari Hoenig and Seamus Blake--Jazz Side of the Moon: The Music of Pink Floyd

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Any thoughts on this.
http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/chicago-chicago-transit-authority-dvd-quadraphonic?cmpid=EMC-RN040610

Quad sound CTA, CHICAGO'S first alum.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This will be my next purchase. I bought this album (in stereo of course) for my brother's birthday circa 1971(?). I had to hunt down a few more empty soda bottles to take back to the store to finance the last $1 or so. As I recall it was about $4.75 back then.

This is a really good album and I can't believe I don't own it in any form. That's about to change.

Edit: Ordered the CTA-DTS and the three new King Crimson DVD-A's.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Which disc are you talking about that was the soda bottle-financed album back in the day, Gene??

Oop's, sorry. Chicago Transit Authority. Being a double album it was a little more than I had to spend at the time (I was about 11 years old then).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks