1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, May 1, 2004.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I personally think "The Final Cut" is probably the greatest "Concept" album in Rock history. Roger's uncontrolled angst really came into focus. Even after more than 25 years, "The Gunner's Dream", In particular, still blows my mind.

2. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Re "Paul, weren't you looking for a "satisfactory" Mahler 4th? Did you ever find one?"

I think you're confusing my inquiry on Jan 24 (scroll back just a wee bit) about a good "Matthew Passion" (the Linn / Dunedin Consort I bought is wonderful but wow how different it is to hear the Chorus parts performed by single voices, especially compared to what I now understand is a perf by Solti / the Chicago Symphony Chorus that is waaaay bigger than Bach likely envisioned) with my ongoing Mahler yammerings. In the latter regard, I'm quite pleased with the Zander / Telarc cycle--love the lecture CDs--so I got that 4 as I continue slowly but surely buying and listening my way through all of them. [Upcoming concerts include the M2 on March 13 at Davies with MTT / SFSO, the M5 on April 3 at Disney Hall . . . and the L.A. Phil just announced the 2010-2011 season and my man Gustavo is doing the M9 in January. Good times, good times!]

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I'm 100% sure the DSD logo and the SACD logo are on the back cover and the round SACD logo is on the shrinkwrap. As far as what disc they put inside, after reading the thread you linked to, who Knows? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif"> I was un-aware of the re-issue problem. And I did take a close look at the number on the binding: 92642 which seems to be the same as the digi-pack. Learned something today.
    Along with confusion with the packaging, while wondering around cduniverse.com's site it's quite apparent they haven't labeled their SACD offerrings very well either. It's very difficult to tell if a purchase would be an SACD or a regular cd. In fact, one title was called a DTS surround disc as well as an SACD. Those two formats were never put on the same disc, were they? Very confusing.

I'll pick up two of them in a few days, one for me and one for you. I'll open mine, and if it's an SACD disc I'll send you yours. If not they will both be returned.
    On a side note, has anyone created a list of hard to find or expensive SACD/DVD-A's or other hi-res discs discs in any forum? Or is it best to just look at what they are going for on Ebay and Amazon and figure it out that way? The Boston SACD is on Amazon new from two seller's at $127 and $266!

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    One that I wish I grabbed when I saw it was a dvd-a of BRain Salad Surgery.
    I have maybe 20, including the Boston sacd.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Is that a hint? If I find one I'll pick it up for you if you would like. All these at Frys seem to be under $20. I know the DVD-A version is very expensive (I have one) but I might be a "Lucky Man" and find one. There are still 5 other Frys in the Bay Area I tend to hit in the coming weeks.

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I didn't intend it to be a hint, I had seen one in a store about 4 years ago didn't buy it then it immediately went oop.

But If you see one while on your Fry journeys and it isn't any trouble, then thanks you.

Sure wish there were Frys in the Northeast.

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Re "I'm 100% sure the DSD logo and the SACD logo are on the back cover and the round SACD logo is on the shrinkwrap."
    These are good signs.
    Re "It's very difficult to tell if a purchase would be an SACD or a regular cd."
    Generally speaking, no. With retailers who don't know/care what they're selling, yes. Although there are of course those who've had terrif experience with them, generally speaking I avoid mainstream/non-boutique e-tail outlets when buying high rez.
    Re "In fact, one title was called a DTS surround disc as well as an SACD. Those two formats were never put on the same disc, were they?"
    No. That's just a retailer muddying the waters. This has of course been discussed many times before (including by me). Again, you'd be better served by not relying on retail/e-tail sites for specs/tech info/'what is this disc?' questions as opposed to the labels' sites and the various high rez site resources. If it's listed at DTS' site (and not a movie or concert film), with rare exception (e.g., Queen's A Night At the Opera) it's a DTS CD. Very few of those DTS CD titles were re-released as true high rez. I think the major label that released the most titles on DTS CD which then did DVD-A/SA-CD reissues was UMG. You can see all their high rez here: http://consumers.umusic.com/
    Re "On a side note, has anyone created a list of hard to find or expensive SACD/DVD-A's or other hi-res discs discs in any forum? Or is it best to just look at what they are going for on Ebay and Amazon and figure it out that way?"
    The second question gets closest to the mark IMO. Any list would only be as useful as how frequently someone with too much time on their hands updated it. I (again) recommend creating an Amazon Wish List and going through it regularly. At a glance you can see all that you want, whether Amazon proper still has it (a good availability/OOP barometer) and what Marketplace vendors are asking for it. (And btw, just because some Marketplace vendor is asking low three figures for Boston or anything else doesn't mean that those copies are selling. I've had a few SA-CDs/DVD-As listed via my Amazon store for reasonable ~$50 prices and they haven't sold for months. But somewhere somebody is looking at that and saying 'such and such title is "going for" $50!').
    Btw, at this point I think ~$49 for the Brain Salad DVD-A is a reasonable price.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000507R0/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1266855811&sr=8-1&condition=used

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

No disagreement here. That and Southampton Dock are a couple of their greatest and no one knows them. Waters did the latter live a couple years ago when I saw him on the "DSOTM" tour and you'd think everyone left. Loved it. :)

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Jack, I mentioned "The Gunner's Dream" but the truth is, virtually everything about that album gives me chills. "The Fletcher Memorial Home", the title track and so on. He really takes it on from all angles. Not just his own. "It can't be much fun, beneath the rising sun, with all your kids committing suicide." It really is a shame that is so overlooked. "The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in..." It's profound stuff.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I think of it as Pink Floyd for grown-ups. ;)

11. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    John,

And you're a fan of The Floyd as well? Oh my, we could talk for hours (and probably will). :)

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Too bad it's not on high rez or this thread would be the perfect place. /img/vbsmilies/htf/patriot.gif

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Floyd would sound great in hi-res

14. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    It certainly does on my SACD of Dark Side of the Moon.

15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    YES, I have that too.

Also I popped in Boston for a sampler and it sounds so great.

I also noticed that I unfortunately only bought 3 of the Stones sacd remasters and double unfortuntely 2 of them are the same one.
    I have 2 of "Aftermath" sacds.

16. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi they rereleased this as a SACD but without Luck man ;)
    http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Salad-Surgery-Palmer-Emerson/dp/B0017M8XS6

17. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I have that in my cart, and have been waiting for it to be closer to $20.

18. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Well Paul, I'm afraid you were right. It's a cd inside /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif"> . After hearing of my concerns the Dept mgr at Fry's actually opened one up in the store and was in dis-belief when it wasn't an SACD. He pulled the other two off the SACD shelf. BTW, while it did have the DSD logo on the back sleeve and an SACD circle on the shrink-wrap as well as "Hybrid-SACD" on the Fry's sticker (I know, meaningless) it didn't have the SACD logo on the back sleeve like I said it did. I guess I didn't look as closely as I thought I did .

Guess that's true. I was just wondering if there were any titles in particular that are in higher demand than the others. Maybe The Eagles Hotel California on DVD-A as an example? And you're right about Amazon re-sellers prices. There is/was an H/K 7000 on there for $1500!

But not $154! (+ $2.98 shipping).

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif So...I spent some time tonight browsing in one of my local stores (FYE--owned by TransWorld) as my wife and her mother were shopping together in a nearby craft store.
    During that time, I thought back on this thread and thought I'd try to find some of the titles mentioned by Gene. And, wouldn't you know it, there was the Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend disc (marked only $12.99!). Like in Gene's experience, it was packaged in a standard jewel case, the store's price sticker labeled it an SACD, and it had the DSD markings on the back cover art. I thought about picking it up...but then decided I'd wait to see how things played out in the thread.
    I'm glad I waited. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
    All I almost ever find in my local stores are stinkin' Spyrogyra SACDs. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
    There is one disc I've been tempted by for a while...some Arias by Galina Gorchakova. I'm not into opera at all...but I thought it might be a good way to expand some horizons. I like the piece Andy Dufresne played over the public address system at Shawshank Prison.

20. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Here I thought I was going to help someone out and it turned into a big disappointment. Oh well.

I'm also trying to expand some horizons. But opera??? Ain't no way in..... . Sincerest apologies to all opera lovers.