What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/thread/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2250#post_3663115
One of my favorite songs from my favorite Floyd/Waters record.
I personally think "The Final Cut" is probably the greatest "Concept" album in Rock history. Roger's uncontrolled angst really came into focus. Even after more than 25 years, "The Gunner's Dream", In particular, still blows my mind.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re "Paul, weren't you looking for a "satisfactory" Mahler 4th? Did you ever find one?"

I think you're confusing my inquiry on Jan 24 (scroll back just a wee bit) about a good "Matthew Passion" (the Linn / Dunedin Consort I bought is wonderful but wow how different it is to hear the Chorus parts performed by single voices, especially compared to what I now understand is a perf by Solti / the Chicago Symphony Chorus that is waaaay bigger than Bach likely envisioned) with my ongoing Mahler yammerings. In the latter regard, I'm quite pleased with the Zander / Telarc cycle--love the lecture CDs--so I got that 4 as I continue slowly but surely buying and listening my way through all of them. [Upcoming concerts include the M2 on March 13 at Davies with MTT / SFSO, the M5 on April 3 at Disney Hall . . . and the L.A. Phil just announced the 2010-2011 season and my man Gustavo is doing the M9 in January. Good times, good times!]

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Are you 100% that the SA-CD logo appears on the back cover artwork? I'll PM you re possible purchase.
I'm 100% sure the DSD logo and the SACD logo are on the back cover and the round SACD logo is on the shrinkwrap. As far as what disc they put inside, after reading the thread you linked to, who Knows? /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif"> I was un-aware of the re-issue problem. And I did take a close look at the number on the binding: 92642 which seems to be the same as the digi-pack. Learned something today.
Along with confusion with the packaging, while wondering around cduniverse.com's site it's quite apparent they haven't labeled their SACD offerrings very well either. It's very difficult to tell if a purchase would be an SACD or a regular cd. In fact, one title was called a DTS surround disc as well as an SACD. Those two formats were never put on the same disc, were they? Very confusing.

I'll PM you re possible purchase.
I'll pick up two of them in a few days, one for me and one for you. I'll open mine, and if it's an SACD disc I'll send you yours. If not they will both be returned.
On a side note, has anyone created a list of hard to find or expensive SACD/DVD-A's or other hi-res discs discs in any forum? Or is it best to just look at what they are going for on Ebay and Amazon and figure it out that way? The Boston SACD is on Amazon new from two seller's at $127 and $266!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One that I wish I grabbed when I saw it was a dvd-a of BRain Salad Surgery.
I have maybe 20, including the Boston sacd.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
One that I wish I grabbed when I saw it was a dvd-a of BRain Salad Surgery.
Is that a hint? If I find one I'll pick it up for you if you would like. All these at Frys seem to be under $20. I know the DVD-A version is very expensive (I have one) but I might be a "Lucky Man" and find one. There are still 5 other Frys in the Bay Area I tend to hit in the coming weeks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn't intend it to be a hint, I had seen one in a store about 4 years ago didn't buy it then it immediately went oop.

But If you see one while on your Fry journeys and it isn't any trouble, then thanks you.

Sure wish there were Frys in the Northeast.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re "I'm 100% sure the DSD logo and the SACD logo are on the back cover and the round SACD logo is on the shrinkwrap."
These are good signs.
Re "It's very difficult to tell if a purchase would be an SACD or a regular cd."
Generally speaking, no. With retailers who don't know/care what they're selling, yes. Although there are of course those who've had terrif experience with them, generally speaking I avoid mainstream/non-boutique e-tail outlets when buying high rez.
Re "In fact, one title was called a DTS surround disc as well as an SACD. Those two formats were never put on the same disc, were they?"
No. That's just a retailer muddying the waters. This has of course been discussed many times before (including by me). Again, you'd be better served by not relying on retail/e-tail sites for specs/tech info/'what is this disc?' questions as opposed to the labels' sites and the various high rez site resources. If it's listed at DTS' site (and not a movie or concert film), with rare exception (e.g., Queen's A Night At the Opera) it's a DTS CD. Very few of those DTS CD titles were re-released as true high rez. I think the major label that released the most titles on DTS CD which then did DVD-A/SA-CD reissues was UMG. You can see all their high rez here: http://consumers.umusic.com/
Re "On a side note, has anyone created a list of hard to find or expensive SACD/DVD-A's or other hi-res discs discs in any forum? Or is it best to just look at what they are going for on Ebay and Amazon and figure it out that way?"
The second question gets closest to the mark IMO. Any list would only be as useful as how frequently someone with too much time on their hands updated it. I (again) recommend creating an Amazon Wish List and going through it regularly. At a glance you can see all that you want, whether Amazon proper still has it (a good availability/OOP barometer) and what Marketplace vendors are asking for it. (And btw, just because some Marketplace vendor is asking low three figures for Boston or anything else doesn't mean that those copies are selling. I've had a few SA-CDs/DVD-As listed via my Amazon store for reasonable ~$50 prices and they haven't sold for months. But somewhere somebody is looking at that and saying 'such and such title is "going for" $50!').
Btw, at this point I think ~$49 for the Brain Salad DVD-A is a reasonable price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000507R0/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1266855811&sr=8-1&condition=used

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnRice /forum/thread/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2250#post_3663151
I personally think "The Final Cut" is probably the greatest "Concept" album in Rock history. Roger's uncontrolled angst really came into focus. Even after more than 25 years, "The Gunner's Dream", In particular, still blows my mind.
No disagreement here. That and Southampton Dock are a couple of their greatest and no one knows them. Waters did the latter live a couple years ago when I saw him on the "DSOTM" tour and you'd think everyone left. Loved it. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jack, I mentioned "The Gunner's Dream" but the truth is, virtually everything about that album gives me chills. "The Fletcher Memorial Home", the title track and so on. He really takes it on from all angles. Not just his own. "It can't be much fun, beneath the rising sun, with all your kids committing suicide." It really is a shame that is so overlooked. "The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in..." It's profound stuff.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
John,

And you're a fan of The Floyd as well? Oh my, we could talk for hours (and probably will). :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
YES, I have that too.

Also I popped in Boston for a sampler and it sounds so great.

I also noticed that I unfortunately only bought 3 of the Stones sacd remasters and double unfortuntely 2 of them are the same one.
I have 2 of "Aftermath" sacds.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well Paul, I'm afraid you were right. It's a cd inside /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif"> . After hearing of my concerns the Dept mgr at Fry's actually opened one up in the store and was in dis-belief when it wasn't an SACD. He pulled the other two off the SACD shelf. BTW, while it did have the DSD logo on the back sleeve and an SACD circle on the shrink-wrap as well as "Hybrid-SACD" on the Fry's sticker (I know, meaningless) it didn't have the SACD logo on the back sleeve like I said it did. I guess I didn't look as closely as I thought I did .

Re "On a side note,...

The second question gets closest to the mark IMO. Any list would only be as useful as how frequently someone with too much time on their hands updated it.
Guess that's true. I was just wondering if there were any titles in particular that are in higher demand than the others. Maybe The Eagles Hotel California on DVD-A as an example? And you're right about Amazon re-sellers prices. There is/was an H/K 7000 on there for $1500!

Btw, at this point I think ~$49 for the Brain Salad DVD-A is a reasonable price.
But not $154! (+ $2.98 shipping).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif So...I spent some time tonight browsing in one of my local stores (FYE--owned by TransWorld) as my wife and her mother were shopping together in a nearby craft store.
During that time, I thought back on this thread and thought I'd try to find some of the titles mentioned by Gene. And, wouldn't you know it, there was the Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend disc (marked only $12.99!). Like in Gene's experience, it was packaged in a standard jewel case, the store's price sticker labeled it an SACD, and it had the DSD markings on the back cover art. I thought about picking it up...but then decided I'd wait to see how things played out in the thread.
I'm glad I waited. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
All I almost ever find in my local stores are stinkin' Spyrogyra SACDs. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
There is one disc I've been tempted by for a while...some Arias by Galina Gorchakova. I'm not into opera at all...but I thought it might be a good way to expand some horizons. I like the piece Andy Dufresne played over the public address system at Shawshank Prison.

I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here I thought I was going to help someone out and it turned into a big disappointment. Oh well.

There is one disc I've been tempted by for a while...some Arias by Galina Gorchakova. I'm not into opera at all...but I thought it might be a good way to expand some horizons.
I'm also trying to expand some horizons. But opera??? Ain't no way in..... . Sincerest apologies to all opera lovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks