What's new

What have they done to Darby O Gill and the Little People? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to buy the Blu-Ray and checked Amazon where is is over $50. I don't want it that bad even though I am of 99% Irish descent. I thought we owned the DVD and looked for it to watch on St. Patrick's Day before remembering our neighbor lent us their copy. We named our Red-Tri Australian Shepherd Darby. Is the Blu-Ray out of print? I expected a sale price of under $20

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
The same can be said of the borched Blu ray release of " Something Evil This Way Comes", handled by Disney inc. I was so lookiing forward to seeing a restored edition on Bluray, since I had the older dvd, hoping for a clearer, more balenced image. When the DVD outshines the Blu ray you feel ripped off!!! I'd hate to see them try for Swiss Family Robinson today for Blu ray...just something else to mess up!!!
It's too bad about this, because Disney can do a terrific job when they put their minds to it. My wife and I just watched 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea last night, and it looks spot on! Their Blu-rays of Pollyanna and Mary Poppins look great, too.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would like to buy the Blu-Ray and checked Amazon where is is over $50. I don't want it that bad even though I am of 99% Irish descent. I thought we owned the DVD and looked for it to watch on St. Patrick's Day before remembering our neighbor lent us their copy. We named our Red-Tri Australian Shepherd Darby. Is the Blu-Ray out of print? I expected a sale price of under $20
Since Disney closed the Movie Club, the prices for all the the Disney classic catalog have gotten pretty steep!

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
You mean the Blu-ray of Darby O'Gill? Yep, it's out of print now, like so many other classic Disney Movie Club Blu-rays that are now selling for $50 (or more) on the internet. But the DVD of that title is still readily available and cheap.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Huh?
The blu-ray for this film has been released, and I thought it looked perfectly fine.
Thanks , I hadn't seen it and I'm glad they didin't give it the same lack of love that they did to Darby and SWTWC, it was a real let down for me, I can tell you!!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm bummed to hear about In Search of the Castaways, as I just picked it up!
I bought it as well but it is still sealed. I almost don't want to watch it because I remember the print at MOMA vividly. They were showing films on which Peter Ellenshaw worked and had many examples of his matte work that were in an exhibit.
Anybody have Castaways? What do you think?

Last edited:

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I read the mixed reviews of the Blu-ray for this title, but I wanted to pick it up and judge it for myself. I watched it first without comparing it to the old DVD. (Now, I know DVDs are not the standard for comparison, but I'll get to my point with it eventually.) It was obvious the Blu-ray was "off" in color. Anyone who grew up watching Disney knows what Disney colors looked like from that time in theaters (I saw some of these films in reruns), on posters and in ads, and yes, even on The Wonderful World of Disney on TV. And those colors did not have a grayish wash over them--that's entirely in line with a contemporary look favored today. It definitely wasn't the vintage Disney look. Someone mentioned too much of a red push in this new Blu-ray skewing the colors, particularly blues, so maybe that's the culprit in giving everything an almost washed-out look. Blue skies are no longer blue, green grass no longer emerald--most of the time. Sometimes things look nicely balanced, primaries pop the way they should. The Blu-ray is more detailed, as it should be, though surprisingly not as much as I expected when I next compared it to the DVD. To me, the DVD clearly has the better colors. It looks more like a representation of a Disney film from that time. I don't mind the 1:33.1 negative aspect ratio because I grew up watching so many of these old films on TV, though the 1:66.1 theatrical ratio of the Blu-ray is preferred. Which version will I watch more often? I don't know! If only Disney could have gotten the old colors with the 1:66.1 widescreen, as it appeared they did for the 2004 HD master. Why that master wasn't transferred more accurately to Blu-ray is anybody's guess. Bottom line: the Blu-ray is perfectly watchable but a missed opportunity. If you want a little extra detail and prefer the widescreen, then go for it. It's fine enough. However, if you're sensitive to colors, particularly when a contemporary palette has been applied to an older film that originally had a different look, the DVD is probably closer to being accurate in that regard.
I saw the picture when it was first released and a couple of 35mm IB prints since then. It had the beautiful rich Technicolor look you fully expected from Disney films of those years. A huge expenditure of work and money went into the production of Darby O' Gill. Disney had it photographed by Winton Hoch who had shot The Quiet Man and The Searchers for John Ford. Considering the studio's technical resources and historically meticulous archiving of their film assets, they were certainly capable of producing a stunning product. Instead, the Blu-Ray looks like a faded dupe.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
What's again the problem with the Castaways?
I have it, and I've watched it once, but I didn't notice anything off.
On the other hand, I don't know the movie to compare it with older releases.
I've been having a hard time finding reviews of the Blu-ray for this, though generally it sounds like it's a solid affair, and you seem to concur with this. It came up earlier in this thread that someone found it lacking. So I don't know. I'll be finding out soon, as it's on its way!

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Well, my wife and I watched In Search of the Castaways last night, and I thought it looked great! It's a film with a lot of optical effects that rely on dupes, and so those shots are never going to look razor sharp. However, the regular footage sports fantastic detail--and the colors are right. My wife and I have been on a Disney kick recently, and so I've just watched Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, Blackbeard's Ghost, and The Love Bug, and I thought all these titles look fantastic on Blu-ray! And The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh and The Gnome-Mobile (another film with a lot of opticals) look pretty darn good.

All of this is to say that when these titles are stacked up next to Darby O'Gill, it's readily apparent that the colors in Darby are off, and in no small measure, either. It's really too bad.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Since Disney closed the Movie Club, the prices for all the the Disney classic catalog have gotten pretty steep!
That's just not right.

Moon Pilot, and others costing at least 50 apiece. What has happened to us? Classic Disney films (I'm talking live action here) should be available to all at affordable prices.

--jthree

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
That was me (as Billy Batson) who rubbished In Search Of The Castaways (post 16), & I don’t take any of it back.
We all have our own takes, and that's cool. When I'm reading others' reviews of discs, I always try to cast a wide net because different people pick up on different things. Then I filter those reviews through the lenses of what's most important to me and try to make the best decision as to whether a purchase is worth it for me or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks