What's new
World Wide Stereo

What happened to this forum? (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I seem to have missed the cause for the apparent mass exodus from the DIY forum, and where everyone ran off to.

What happened?

Julian Schroeder

Auditioning
Yeah I was wondering the same thing, used to be you'd see a bunch of interesting discussions/projects in this forum everyday... Now it seem's to have died down really quick

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Don't know why, but the hard-core DIY'ers seem to have migrated over to the htguide forum. If there was a single reason, I missed it as well.
JP

Darren_T

Second Unit
Yup, I was wondering that myself. Very few of the regulars remain and the topics are few and far between. I really used to enjoy reading and viewing peoples work.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I was sort of wondering the same, but I'm also guilty of not being around much anymore. I've reverted back to occasional lurking since a few months after I finished my sub. Now when I get the urge to look at some cool HT projects there's not much new floating around.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Cycles. Ying yang.

I got sick of some of the attitudes, too, so now all projects are private.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's summer and the entire area is under a heat advisory. It will be 100F with a heat index of around 110F in the shade tomorrow. Couple that with the high humidity and I'll be inside enjoying the A/C.

-Robert

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been consumed/drained at work - was given another division last July - too much work for the time available. I'm working on changing some things so the other guy can handle it by himself and I can get back to devoting full time to my original division.
Meanwhile, no energy for new projects. My last project was my GRR A/V-3's which I did in rosewood veneer and they turned out beatiful. I have a prospective customer for a pair of towers, maybe Jon's design, but that's prbably months away. Also, my daughter just got engaged and she and her fiance want me to do two towers and a center for their wedding present, but that's for next July, so it'll be a Winter/early Spring project. Lack of speaker customers keeps me out of the shop. I do have a case of drivers for BozeBusters, and may get motivated to build some more samples. My 18-year son plays guitar, so he's picked out a couple of Eminence 12" drivers, I designed a cabinet, got the parts from P.E. and will cut the wood this weekend. Not a reproducer, but a producer of music - quite a bit of difference and a different level (lower) of drivers. Very specific sound qualities built into the drivers, and guitar players pick drivers depending on their main style of music. Fairly interesting, but NOT the same as hi-fi.
I do spend a little time on Jon and Thomas' HT Guide DIY area. Those guys unselfishly share an incredible depth of knowledge.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I too have been extremely busy. Trying to keep my IT job in this outsource culture has been trying at best.

I have been doing some projects of my own. But for a change not too many questions. Bought a new sub, (sounds great and just two days ago calibrated) had Gregg L. Calibrate my projector and TV with amazing results and building my first Pronto config. (Very time consuming trial and error, but worth it.)

First time I've been able to get here is June 16th.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I've built both a set of kit61's and Kit41's for a potential customer that flipped flopped and changed his mind after accepting my quote(never even heard them). Getting married in a month and did a sub for a friend. Still got about 4 subs on the floor waiting for boxes but with school/work/wedding no time. Oh and I am slowly starting up my own business....pheww:emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I've been doing some DIY but it's mostly smaller electronics.

Headphone amp, 24V regulated Power supply and currently a USB to S/PDIF convertor. I do alot of cables myself too.

I have some Adire HE 10.1s now, but I feel kind of dirty to admit I bought them pre-built. But in all fairness I did paint them myself.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Maybe some of us have realized that DIY, is another name for "never ending quest for perfection..."

So we decided to settle with our current projects and start actually watching movies on them and listening to music. :)

My next project was going to be an 18" tumult, but now that I think about it... Two Tempests is more than enough.

This forum used to be quite the "crackin" place to be. :)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
There's only one way to get it hopping again and thats to post our projects, questions, etc so those that may not be as familiar with DIY can get interested.

Oh, and that summer thing does tend to make DIY a bit harder :D

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Interesting answers guys...

My version of the dual Adire Extremis 2 way speakers that I was working on are sitting and waiting at my parents house. For some odd reason I just can't seem to get excited or motivated to do anything with 'em.

Ben Ch

Agent
OK. here's a DIY question
I built a version of ThomasW's Ariel Accoustics Klone, the AS-15, 'cept I used a BP-1503 driver and an Adire ADA 1200 subwoofer plate amp. The performance was breathtaking, to say the least - at least until I over-excurded the BP-1503 and it makes a bit of mechanical noise now when in full travel. It still functions at about 80% of it's ability though - so it can still put a Paradigm PW-2200 into fits, and make change while doing it.
Now I'm thinking already of my next DIP (I mean DIY) project, how would a vertical column of say 4 mid excursion 12"ers sound in a sealed (and L-T'd, if necessary) enclosure of about 8 ft^3 work?
What type of drivers X 4 would best utilize the 1200 watts that the ADA can provide?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy the reconing kit from Kylke and have someone locally fix the driver.

Why do you want 12"s?

Ben Ch

Agent
I'd gladly re-cone the BP 1503, but there is no material to be found at Kyle's place, and RE hasn't replied to either him, nor me about stock availability.
I haven't pursued outsourcing the materials yet, but I'm considering it.

I'd think the form factor (WAF) would be better for 12's as opposed to 15's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks