What's new

What else........SPEAKERS!!! (1 Viewer)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
If you were going to go out & buy new speakers, & wanted to keep the outlay to as close to $1500.00 as you
could (semi-flexible), what would you buy???

Most of the use will be HT, although I likes my music

This is for the Fronts, center & surround ONLY!!
The sub is not included in this price as, unless
I really screw up (lol), I am DIYing it.

The $1500.00 does not have to include the shipping.

The receiver is "probably" going to be a Yamamha 5790.

Hope I get at least a few suggestions. I dont really have way to listen to a bunch with any good store setups. I hope
this will be a way to pare the choices down by recommendations from owners of, or listeners of various
speakers.

- Cam

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
you could get paradigm monitor 7's, cc370, mini monitors for less than that. i have them and really enjoy them

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Axiom, ROckets, Swan speakers. look at there websites and see what you like. All great speakers.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys....been there, done that, & they all
sure LOOK pretty.....am I supposed to do it like
a woman buying a car...

Salesman: Lady, have you found anything you like?

Lady: Yes I like the pretty blue one.

I know I am being a hard-ass, but what do I do with the websites other than look at pictures & read specs?
And trust me I have been to most of those listed.

Sure it helps, but I was kinda hoping people that have
actually heard these things (hopefully 2-3 different decent brands at least) might offer an opinion.

If I test & send back 3-4 different brands, that doesn't
leave me much working capital after I pay to send them back, does it?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I second the vote for the Paradigm Monitor Series, though I'd go with Monitor 5s front and rear with a CC-370, as my bias is for music. If I were more heavily into movies (where timbre-matched rear surrounds are not as critical, IMO), I'd go with a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-M50s in front, VRC centre, and Micro 120x rears (they all have matching tweeters). I nearly bought the Paradigm Monitor package above, but some extra funds allowed me to go with a Boston Acoustics package that has the 50s (rear in my case) the VRC centre and VR-M60s up front.

I think you'd be happy with either of these speaker sets.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.audioenvy.com - you can look for people in your area to see if you can get a demo of Swans or Onyx Rockets & Ref. After you've taken a look at some of the sites, and compared specs and pricing, you can ask for people who have heard the speakers, which again, does little more for you than the woman buying the car, since speaker's sound is a very subjective thing.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Cam,
Some examples after lots of reading:
Axiom - on the brighter side, in your face type speaker. Some refer it to as being in the front row at a concert.

Rockets - on the laid back side...some refer it to as being in the 15th row at a concert or like throwing a blanket up in front of the speakers.

The swans are said to fall in between the 2 of these.

So alot depends on what type of sound you like.....

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Aperion, av123, and HTD are what I'm locking in on at this point.

HTD sure seems to be pretty tough to beat in terms of cost value and performance. Look at those level 3's and the prices associated.

I probably am going to do that way...

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Cam:

Dollar for dollar the JBL Northbridge E's are going to be hard to beat. I use mine for about 60% HT and 40% music and they perform great!

For $1650, the 2 E100 front, EC35 center, E250p sub, and 4 E50 surrounds is absolutely incredible when I have my Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi playing a good DTS track with the Neo 6 + THX turned on. It's almost scary! ;)

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of making mine a 7.2 setup and add another E250P to it. My room is big enough for it, the neighbors haven't shot me yet either, so what the heck! ;)

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
I second the earlier post of going for the JBL Northridge E series. Regarding the fronts, you might want to consider the E90 instead of E100. The reason I mention this is due to the 110W/channel rating on the Yamaha 5790. The E100 has a higher than 110W continuous power rating. Not that you'll ever crank it that high that often, but just a thought.

Because I have B&Ws, you might want to give them a listen-to if/when you get a chance. They're on the pricier side but the DM603 S3 fronts should suit your budget.

Personally, I think the JBLs have more natural bass but the B&Ws give a better soundstage.

Good luck.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

funny thing....fickle guy that I am, now it looks like it will be an HK AVR 7200......:D

What are B&W's...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks