What's new

Sounds like the Polk ES speakers are a step up from the previous S speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I know that Crutchfield's speaker compare app isn't perfect since it supposedly uses an anechoic chamber. I know my Polk TSI100 speakers sound much better in room. However I guess it's a starting step in hearing differences in room.

They now have where you can compare the Polk S55 vs the ES55. I compared the S15 vs the ES15 and came away with the same thoughts. I have to say everything I didn't like about the S series tonality seems to have been fixed in the ES. No longer is that upper bass muddy sounding, that seemed to veil the music. The ES took care of that and it's pretty noticeable. The lower bass even sounds much more defined now. Also highs are not as pronounced. There is just a smoother sound overall. So tonality seems to be much better. While you can't really tell from the app, others have mentioned poor imaging in S speaker reviews. Hopefully that has been corrected as well.

Since ES models have came down to where the S models were, prices seem pretty good right now. Not sure if the ES15 would sound better in room than my TSI100s, but it's a interesting thought since I've been impressed with the TSI100s.

The S line was suppose to replace the TSI line but going by the Crutchfield app, I wasn't impressed at all. Haven't listened to the XT line that replaced the T line, but haven't read any review that was positive.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I did listen to the XT15 and XT60 and compared to the ES15 and ES55 Polk and didn't care for the XT speakers.

I had always thought I'd like the KEF Q150 but found them, on the crutchfield app., to do poorly especially with Jazz and Classical. The Polk ES15, Wharfedale Diamond 12.1, and my Polk TSI100s sound much more life like with ambiance. The KEF did sound better than the Polk XT15 though. The Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 sounded bright compared to the others, in the app.

Off course all those speakers would sound a lot different in a normal room. The Crutchfield app is said to really show differences between the speakers even if it won't sound the same in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks