What's new

What do you use to drive your SVS? (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am using a 100 watt Kenwood stero receiver to power my 20-39. It works wonderfully. However, like Matt, I have my receiver set at the 3 o'clock position. If I have it all the way up, I cannot set the sub level properly on my receiver.

-Dean-

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
A 20 year old Yamaha that I found for $200 at a pawn shop.It's 250W/side with 1 side just sitting empty waiting for a another SVS:D (Houston,I have a problem)

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I use an Onkyo TX-970 Receiver (rated at 105 into 8 ohms, and lots, lots more into 4 ohms and heaps of dynamic power ) with my 16-46CS+. Intellectually, I know that I could use more power, but practically, this works so well I'm going to take my time and save $$ for as second sub first, and then a new amp second.

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a old pioneer 90x2 stereo receiver, works great more bass than the wife can handle. :D
Later Haywood :cool:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Now that the latest review is submitted, I can add a new one to the list of amps driving SV subs....

To date I've used:

Bryston 4B (16-46 & CS Ultra)

Sampson S-700 (16-46)

Cinepro 3K6, Series 3 (1 channel) (CS Ultra)

Bel Canto EVO 200.6 (bridged channel) (CS Ultra)

BAT VK-6200 (CS Ultra)

Regards,

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
John:

Did you detect any benefit from using a dedicated sampson amp as opposed to using "other spare" amp channels?

Thanks.

Rich B.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rich,
Nope.
This could (in theory) be problematic if the amplifers in question were a bit weak in the power supply department, but none of the ones listed qualifies :D
Regards,

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
John:

Thanks for the reply. Let me add one more thing to the question, what if the other channels of the multichannel amp are drving other speakers in your HT?

Rich B.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I am temporarily powering my CS_U with one of my Outlaw 750's channels (240watts into 4 ohms, I think). Definetly not bad, but definetly a temporary solution.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I don't have an SVS, but my 142L Shiva is powered by a Kenwood Basic M2A amp (c. `88-`90). It does 250W /ch @ 8ohms and 410W /ch @ 4ohms (bench tested). Currently I'm powering each voice coil seperately so I'm pushing roughly 500W, with each coil representing an 8ohm load.
I'll tell ya what, the Kenwood does a hell of a job and it's a heavy beast too, weighing in at >50lbs. I've not been able to get this amp to clip yet, and I've really pushed the hell out of it. Plus, the best part is that they regularly come up for sale on Audiogon and ebay and go for about $200-$250 plus shipping (depending on cosmetic condition). Next time I see another one up for sale I'm going to buy it... never know when you might need an extra amp. :)
Oh, and the LED meters on the front are fun to watch. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks