What's new

What do you use to drive your SVS? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just curious to know what you guys use to drive your CS series SVS subwoofers? I know most go with the recommended amps from Samson but what about those who use the stereo receivers they have? I'm especially curious to know about those using the really old stereo receivers. What is your ohms rating and wpc?
Thanks
:)

GeorgeK

Auditioning
I have a 1985 vintage carver receiver rated at 130 wpc (8 ohms). Don't know how it is supposed to perform at 4 ohms. Would it be suitable for running one or perhaps a pair of SVS unpowered subs?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I use a Marantz MA6100 monoblock. It provides a little less power than my 20-39CS can handle, but I've been very impressed with it.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
George,

That old receiver should work fine. You simply run a mono subwoofer cable to any input channel (not phono/turntable) and speaker wire from the sub amp/receiver to the sub itself. You'll need to keep your calbration levels in the realm of the possible (that is don't run 10dB over your mains with The Phantom Menace and then wonder why your subwoofer amp/receiver shuts down).

Brent,

Hundreds of SVS owners are running fantastic subwoofer systems with "only" a hundred watts or so and have found this gives old "useless" gear a new lease on life. This is one of the main reasons we offer the CS type subwoofer. We HATE to see good amp power go to waste, even if it's locked up in a receiver that would otherwise just collect dust.

I'm a big fan of finding used old amps just for this purpose. The Samsons are excellent, but hardly critical to get a great SVS up and running.

Ron

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I first powered my 20-39 with an old (80's) HK 350i rec., rated for 4 - 16 ohms, and it had MAYBE 50wpc.

I didn't go nuts with the volume, but the sound was still more than I expected.

This was enough to get me by while I kept my eyes open for a nice amp, and I finally got the NHT SA-2, 165 into 4. Works Great!!

Greg Br

Second Unit
Old stereo receiver+SVS sub = kick ass bass for as little as $400, no one out there can offer that.

I used a old receiver and have no complaints about the sound, unfortunatley setting things to reference and leaving them there once I go the SVS subs was an entirely differant thread.

Jeff Massey

Agent
I had an old Kenwood integrated amp running a 20-39+ and it worked fine. The sub sounded great, ( I had to send the 20-39+ back, but will be getting the 25-31 + in the late spring). I sent the spec's for the kenwood amp to Tom and had him to a look to make sure it would drive the sub. It worked great and saved me some cash. If you get a chance to get one of the SV sub, go for it. They make a great product. The sub really filled in the bottom end of my vandersteen's. Great product!

Jeff

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old Sony STR-AV 1000 (110 w x 4). My problem is I don't know if is stable down to 4 ohms or if it will burn up. Anybody know the specs on this receiver?

Thanks,

Tom

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
A van, the SVS won't fit on the back of my motorcyle.
I wondered who the first would be to read the message title that way! Now I know who won that race! :D
Thanks for all your other input. It's interesting to see what all the others without Sampson Amps use.
Thanks
Brent

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I have a similar issue, perhaps any help would be appreciated. I have an "extra" NAD 214 power amp that is bridgable to 240W, I am currently using a 250 watt plate amp that I have altered to give a 3 db bass boost at 23 HZ (I have the 22-31 CS), so it is flat to 20 Hz, and I like the gain, polarity and x-over adjustments on the wall amp, but something tells me that the NAD may be a better option, but I certainly don't need more power, I already have the thing turned way down. I have a pre/pro that I could simply set the X-over point at 80Hz, but I like the mains to run "large" and the SVS to be set at about 50 Hz and take up all the super low stuff.

So, Do I

1.keep the wall plate amp and use its flexability (espcially since it has plenty of power for my needs, and does a great job)

OR

2.Use the NAD since it probably is a "better" amp, but much less flexible???

Mike ZQ

Grip
I drive my 20-39+ with an old H-K Citation 16, late 70's
Rated at 150 rms at 8 ohms....don't know about 4 ohms.
I'll get somthing with more juice
when my wife says I can
:laugh:

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I'm using a Fidek FPA-400 pro amp, 200 watts per side into 4 ohms. I got it new from MCM for $179.00 and did the fan fix for $1.20 (zener diode) took about 10 minutes to do. Fan is practically inaudible now. I like it so much I bought 2 of them. I have a 25-31cs with the new driver that I scored b-stock for $309.00 , thanks SVS every penny counts when you have a family and a stay at home wife. I use the other amp to drive 2 nearly as nice sonosubs I scored from the for sale area here for a ridiculously low $60.00 each ( enclosures only). I added two parts express 12" DVC's to those and wound up with two excellent subs for around $150.00 apiece. Those are in the bedroom the svs is in my living room/main theater. I'm pretty much sold on pro amps for running sono subs , no more plate amps for me. Just make sure if you buy a fan cooled model , and most of them are, you can live with the fan noise or modify it to quiet it down.

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
I use a 4 yr old JVC RX-884 that's stable with a 4 ohm load. It was rated at 120 wpc - 8 ohm, so with the SVS 4 ohm load it's probably 175-200 watts. I find it's more than enough to power my 20-39. SVS says to crank the volume of the receiver all the way up then calibrate, but I can't do it in my smallish room (1700 cu ft). If I put the volume @ max (90) I can't back down my sub far enough. My 3802 adjusts from -12 to +12 so if I back the amp off to 80 I can calibrate to my liking at -9 on the 3802 (83db).
Jump to SVS and don't look back. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks