What's new

What do you guys think about Boston Acoustic speakers? (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
VR975, VR920, VRMX (2 pairs). These replaced 3 VRM50s up front (my dealer would sell me a single VRM50). At the time my dealer (Tweeter) did not sell the 60's, and the VRMC was not available. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to either VRM80's or 90's but I can't find anywhere to audition them. I think I might give Boston a call and see if they have them set up (I am not far from the factory).

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
OK, its official, I'm getting the Bostons! I got the final OK from my wife (she loves them, more so for their looks than their sound - but who cares as long as she likes them). I'm getting the VR-M60's fronts, VR-MC center, VR-MX surrounds. I should have them by next week. Im also getting a Velodyne SPL1200 subwoofer. Man, I can't wait! :D
So, when I get them, how exactly do I break them in? I'm a total newbie in this department. My last HT system was a "HT in a box".
Another question. I'm going to buy speaker stands for the fronts. What is the correct height? The stands that I like come in four sizes, 18", 24", 30" and 36".
Thanks guys,
Vlad

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
You can usually break them in by turning on your receiver and playing them. Five minutes into it, provided they're at room temperature, they'll be broken in!

Regarding stand height, you can either go with the 24's or the 30's. Boston recommends the 30's. You want to be at or slightly below tweeter level for the listening axis.

When are you getting them?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I should be getting them sometime next week. And next weekend a friend of mine is going to help me set them up.

I'm really excited.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the VR-MC and VR-MX's for a couple of weeks now and I am very pleased. The match perfectly with the VR-M60's. I have tried the VR-MX's as both direct and diffuse. I can't tell a huge difference between the two with movies so I will probably leave them in the diffuse position for now. If I were running an SACD or DVD-A system I would go with the direct setting. I find the whole system to be seamless, cohesive, enveloping (or any other adjective you may prefer) :). No regrets in this purchase. The only speaker change I can see wanting to make would be to go with an additional set of surrounds if/when I go with a 6.1/7.1 system. The cherry finish is very easy on the eyes and was a positive factor with my wife- she has been very cool so far in the purchases I have made, even the SVS- I can tell she likes the cherry as much as I do.
Vlad- did you get your system yet and if so what are your impressions?
Patrick- The VR-MC center would like right at home with all those VR-M50's you have.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Steve, so far I have the VR-M60's. I haven't gotten the VR-MX's or the VR-MC yet, but I should be getting them this week. I also bought a Velodyne SPL1200 sub. Man the 60's sound sweet!!! And I have been told that they will sound even better after they're broken in. Can't wait until I have them all set up. And yes the cherry finish is very nice on the eyes, the color is the only reason my wife wanted them, she couldn't care less about how they sound.

Vlad

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I just received my speaker stands from Sanus. Not only do they look cool, (I bought the cherry finish, although not exact it's a pretty close match to the cherry finish of the speakers) but I think they make the VR-M60's sound better.

Before, I had them temporarily on top of the audio towers on each side of the TV. They were way too high. Now, the tweeters are exactly at ear level when seated, and they speakers are spaced about 12 feet apart. Didn't realize that placement made such a big difference. I seem to have a much wider soundstage, if that makes any sense.

I'll let you guys know how the whole system sounds once I have the VR-MC and VR-MX's.

Vlad

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Steve - What receiver are you using? I ask because I have a Denon 2802, and I read a review of the Bostons that states "to really make them sing" you need a receiver with a lot of power. I was contemplating returning the 2802 and getting the 3802, it has 110 watts/ch compared to the 90 watts/ch of the 2802. Do you think the extra 20 watt/ch will make a noticable difference? Or should I leave well enough alone? Thanks.
Anyone else with the Boston VRM series, Denon receivers, or any receiver for that matter feel free to chime in. :D
Thanks,
Vlad

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a Yamaha DSP-A1 to power my Boston's (110 WPC). I think they sound pretty decent with the Yamaha driving them. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to separates but to be honest with you there is nothing that I am unhappy with about the DSP-A1. I guess PL2 would be nice but not really necessary. What I will probably do is pick up an external 5 or 7 channel amp sometime and use that to power my speakers and use the yamaha as a processor until I feel the need to upgrade because of new/better technology. To answer your question though, I don't think the extra 20wpc will make much of a difference performance wise so I wouldn't upgrade unless there is something you like better on the 3802. I am not familiar with Denon receivers so take that with a grain of salt.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Vlad,
I'm driving my array of Boston VRM50's and VR12 with an Outlaw Audio 1050 acting as a pre/pro and being driven by an Outlaw Audio 750 Amp (5 x 165W). Sounds purdy to my ears. :)

Art Brodeur

Auditioning
I just noticed this thread and thought I would chime in.

I absolutly love my Boston's...

I have them firing of my Denon 3802 reciever.

Front's: VR965's

Center: VR920

Surround's: VRS's

SB: CR65's

The Front's & Center match perfectly with my

Pioneer Elite 610HD TV

IMO You get what you pay for and Boston Acoustics

certainly delivers the goods.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Sense this thread is all about Boston Speakers I have a question for everyone. Do you think the older CR2 Center Channel would match up better with the CR9's as they are the same line as the CR2 or is the current CRC Center Channel a good match with the CR9's. Thanks
Brett,

The CR2 was made to be a match for Boston's CR8 and CR9. I used to own the CR8 and consider them one of the best small bookshelf speakers ever. I would go with the CR2 instead of the CRC as the CR2 has the same exterior styling (metal grills) as well.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
OK guy, I'm mounting the VR-MX's this weekend. The instructions seem pretty straight-forward but I was wondering if you guys have any advice/tips. Did anyone have trouble mounting theirs? Also is it easy to switch them around so I can test the differences between direct and diffuse modes?

Thanks,

Vlad

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Vlad- the VR-MX's were easy to mount. Make sure you screw the mounting brackets into a stud (Don't like how that sounds :) )so you don't have to worry about them falling. The little felt pads that come with the speakers should go on the back corners- this not only protects the finish on the back of the speakers but also helps them to "slide" on the wall easier as you are mounting them. I didn't use them originally and scarred the finish slightly on one of them. They are easy to move from one side of the room to the other if you want to try the different directional settings. One other piece of advise is to mount the bracket low enough on the wall that you can easily slide the speaker up and down the the bracket to place the speaker. It took me about 45 min to an hour to get mine up and running and I am not a handy man- more like Tim Allen than Bob Villa. I think you will be happy with your choice.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Steve, unfortunately because of the layout of my room, I am very limited in my placement options. There doesn't seem to be a stud where I'm going to mount them. Is this going to be a problem?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Steve - Another unfortunate aspect of my room is that the VR-MX's will have to be placed about 2 1/2 feet in front of the listening position and about 8 feet high. I know that this is far from ideal but I really have no other choice. My right wall ends about a foot in front of where I have my sofa and on the left I have a sliding glass door, so that speaker has to go above it. I have no back wall behind my sofa because the "back" of my family room opens up into my kitchen. The family room and kitchen is really one big room separated by an island. I can always move my sofa forward a bit but then I'm to close to the TV. Distance from sofa to TV is 9-10 feet. So because of this layout I was thinking of using the diffuse mode. What do you think?

StephenL

Second Unit
The VR-MX includes toggle bolts for fastening the mounting brackets to drywall. I used Buildex E-Z Ancor self-drilling drywall anchors part #25200 from Home Depot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks