What do you guys think about Boston Acoustic speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I'm thinking about buying some Boston Acoustics, specifically the VRM-50 for my fronts, VRMC center and Boston Bravos for rears because I have to mount them on the ceiling. Haven't decided on a sub yet. I listened to them and liked them, but I have never bought speakers before and I don't really think I have an "ear" for it. Thought I would get some input from the forum.

Thanks,

Vlad

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

they are my dream speakers...i mean the vr series, not the vrm series.

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Does that mean the VRM series is not good. I checked their prices and the VR950's are the same price as the VRM50's, and the VR940's are even less. Would I get better sound from them.

Vlad

4. felix_suwarno

to me vrm series are too expensive. the vrm50 has one 5 1/4 inch woofer while the vr950 has two. i prefer the tower speakers for that kind of price.

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks Felix,
    I'll go listen to the VR950's. Now if I can only convince my wife in buying towers vs bookshelf. [​IMG]
    Vlad

6. felix_suwarno

7. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Vlad,
    I've got four of the VR-M50's and love them! I listened to the standard VR series and chose the VR-M's. Partly because I prefer smaller speakers as opposed to towers, but also because they just sounded better to my ears. If you prefer the sound of the VR-M series, but still want a tower, check out BA's new VR-M80's and VR-M90's.
    Here are my speakers, you can see my humble home theater by going to my web site and selecting the "Home Theater" page. [​IMG]
    Front Left/Right & Surround Left/Right: VR-M50's
    Center: VR-12
    Subwoofer: PV-1000
    Regardless which you go with, I honestly believe you'll be very happy with the Boston VR & VRM series speakers (altho I prefer the VRM's [​IMG] ).
    Later,

8. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

VR40's here and the VR12 Center Channel.
    I love these speakers. I think they are the best Boston Acoustics speakers ever made. [​IMG]

9. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Patrick: How do you like the VR-M50's for surrounds? I am considering them for my rear speakers as well. I have the 60's up front right now. I would have to place the 50's on stands as you do and it looks like from the pictures that my room layout is very similar to yours. Do you find that the 50's overpower you being mounted as low as they are and firing directly at you? What height and type of stand are you using? Thanks.

10. Patrick R. Sklenar

Steve,
    I absolutely love them!! [​IMG] I used the Avia DVD to set up my levels around the room and thus there's no concern about the surrounds over powering the mains. I'll be honest however, the main reason I have the 50's as my surrounds is that Boston didn't yet have the VR-MX or VR-M/EX speakers at the time. :b
    At this point, after my house is finished and I move in, I'm giving serious consideration to grabbing a pair of VR-M60's and making them my main Front Left/Right speakers and taking the other two VR-M50's and moving them to the true rear positions (e.g.; a 7.1 layout). But I'll have wait and see what my finances look like after I finish moving in and buying all the absoultely necessary curtains and shades. [​IMG]

11. felix_suwarno

at last, a few boston owners. i thought htf forumers only talk about paradigm, energy, svs, hsu, velodyne, ar, deftech, bw and adire.

it is also hard to find boston acoustics reviews.

to patrick : what is the receiver?

can you please describe the sound difference between the vr and vrm series? i know it is a silly question, but i dont have any chance to audition these speakers myself.

thanks

12. Patrick R. Sklenar

Felix,
    I know what you mean. Us Boston owners seem to get outshouted a lot I guess. [​IMG]
    I'm using an Outlaw 1050 receiver as a pre-processor and an Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp to drive the four VR-M50's and the VR-12. The combination sounds very clean. To my ears, not at all bright nor warm, just ... {shrug} ... clean. [​IMG]
    I never brought the VR's home, but when I listened to both in the demo room at the local Tweeters I felt the VR's sounded ever so slightly brighter when compared to the VRM's. Or perhaps the VRM's sounded ever so slightly warmer than the VR's? I don't really know which is the case, but to clarify my views on the terms "bright" vs "clear" - to my ears I would classify as "bright" as moving along the scale in the direction that would eventually lead to a "harsh" sound and "warm" in the direction on the scale that would eventually sound "muddy". I'm not sure how others view the terms "bright" and "warm".
    However, I do know that the VRM's sound very clean and clear and not at all "bright" or "warm" with Outlaw's or in my room. [​IMG]

13. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

I am at the point of deciding on whether to buy a pair of VR-MX's for my rears or a pair of VR-M50's. I can't decide...I have always used directs for rears and not sure how well I will like the quasi dipole/direct of the VR-MX. I take it from your post above that had the VR-MX been available at the time you bought the 50's you would have gone with them? Whatever I get I plan on keeping for a long time.

Vlad- I don't think you can go wrong with the Boston VR-M line. I have had the VR-M60's for about a year and have absolutely no regrets about buying them. There is not much in my equipment rack that I can say that about.

14. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

I don't have much to add because I'm not a Boston Acoustics expert but I did happen to audition a pair of VRM80s and they sounded beautiful. The highs and mids were right on the money and not at all bright or too soft. I couldn't tell about the bass response, though, as the movie scene used to audition was all mid to high frequencies.

15. Patrick R. Sklenar

Steve,
    I didn't mean to imply I would definitely have gone with the VR-M/X or VR-M/EX, but ...
    Like you, I've used directs for my rears since day one ... I've never had dipoles in any of my systems. But they must sound good in some situations, so I'd have checked them out if they'd been available. For now ... I just love my VR-M50's. [​IMG]

16. felix_suwarno

patrick, thanks for that reply. your explanation about bright versus warm is spot on.

but i still want to know one thing. from 1 to 10, what would be the brightness of the vr speaker?

17. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks guys for all the input. For a while I didn't think anyone on this forum owned any Bostons. I really liked the VRM50's when I first heard them. I'm going to go back and listen to them again and compare them to the VR series. Does anyone have the VRMC as their center?

Vlad

18. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have always enjoyed Boston Acoustics speakers...you should be happy with them. Good luck!

19. Patrick R. Sklenar

Felix,
    Give me a range of 0-10 instead so I that have a true "center" ... thus, to my ears, I'd put the VR-M50's & VR-M60's at "5" and the VR9xx's at "4.5". Like I said, it was a pretty minor difference, but it did seem rather consistant.
    Vlad,
    Nope, unfortunately it wasn't available when I bought my set. I considered trading in my VR-12 for it (the VR-12 is stinking HUGE!), but couldn't justify the couple of hundred dollars at the time no matter how muc nicer I like the smaller size and cherry case! [​IMG]

20. felix_suwarno

patrick, thanks once again.