What's new

New system in custom home by rookie help! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Sheridan

Auditioning
I really would appreciate some good constructive reccomendations on the following. I posted in Home Theater Basics before I found this part of the forum and one opinion is to use wall mount or floor standing speakers in the front instead of ceiling mounts and I am tending to agree considering they will be the farthest away and require the most power. I was also enlightened on the sub issue as well and agree.

I hope some of you, who are on a budget can tell me what you would do if this was your theater setup and possibly make some reccomendations on speakers for the front. I am still considering using the ceiling mounts in the rear.

Thank You.

One of my security clients is building a custom waterfront home and asked me if I would do the theater system as well.
I of course said SURE, no problem. As a lifetime student in everything from flying to falconry, I still cant resist challenge and opportunity. (need to work on this)

The theater room is 20'x 22' and has 10 feet tall ceilings and alot of glass and big open doorways to other rooms, I bet there isnt much over 20' of wall to the floor in the whole room and he doesnt want to have any "distractions" to take away from the view of the water that is instantly available as soon as you enter the front door, this house is very open inside.

So far I have decided on a 7.1 system, probably a Yamaha 110w or 130w newer line receivers in the 5 - 800 dollar range. As far as main speakers, I think a concealed ceiling system is the ticket. I have heard alot of speakers in the 279-600 $ (msrp) range and so far I am leaning towards the Boston acoustics DSI465 or the DSI485. The "pros" at the nearest, well know audio store say they are the best bang for the buck. And a Definitive pro sub 100.

Now I am not trying to stir the pot at all here. I am mainly a securtiy/digital cctv/home automation guy and would love to hear what all you audiophiles think about my plan, picks, and this systems potential.

The plasma will be in the left corner and I am laying the soundstage out diagonaly to the back.

All help, suggestions, criticism is welcome. I am mearly trying to provide ths fella with a nice source of entertainment on somewhat of a budget. Around 3000 dollars, excluding the Pioneer plasma of course.

Thank You very much,

scott

John S

Senior HTF Member
So, I think I got it here...

20'x22'x10' cielings
In-Cieling surrounds
Floorstanding Mains
True theater like performance including Sub
7.1 Installation

$3000 for just the audio components? Or is that just for the speakers and sub?

Big room.. Needs power, needs speakers that lean towards efficient, needs a pretty darn hefty subwoofer.

I'll post back shortly. A bit of a challenge here on that budget, I think it can be done. I need to look up some pricing.

Can you give some idea of the room layout, more specifically the seating arrangements relevent to the Display. I'm sort of guessing this is the 61" Plasma?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Scott, no posting about the same topic in more than one area. Basic HTF rule. I moved your other thread to A/V Sources, so continue the conversation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks