What's new

What do you guys think about Boston Acoustic speakers? (1 Viewer)

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot about the toggle bolts that were included...

Vlad- you should be fine in putting them where you do. I found them to be fairly forgiving of placement as my room is not ideal either. I can't put speakers on my backwall b/c my couch is against it and where I had to put them on the side walls is close to what they recommneded in the manual but not exact. The are closer to the backwall than Boston recommends but b/c of door openings that was the best I could do. Hope you get them up okay and I am interested in your opinion in sound quality after you get it all integrated.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Alright guys, I finally have the complete system set up. :D It sounds awesome. The sound from the VR-MC center blends in nicely with the mains. Also does a solid job of anchoring the voices to the screen. For the past couple of weeks I've been watching movies without a center, and although the mains did a good job of creating a "phantom" center, I much prefer it with the center channel. The VR-MX surrounds are sweet. I have them set up for diffuse mode. I can't isolate sounds coming from the surrounds (I guess which is the point of diffuse mode) but I can "feel" the sounds filling in around me. Really cool.
Steve - I wasn't able to use the toggle screws after all. My outside wall only had a tiny space between the drywall and the concrete. The toggle screw couldn't open up. No big deal I went to Home Depot and bought some EZ-anchors and screws. Worked great.
Well guys I wanted to thank you all for all you're input and suggestions. And for putting up with all my insessant questions. :D
I'll come back with a more detailed review once I've had some time to get comfortable with the setup. I might want to try out the Direct mode of the VR-MX's also.
Later,
Vlad

Miles Abbey

Agent
I'm currently a big Boston Acoustics fan! I recently upgraded my mains from vr940's to Vr-m90's. I also upgraded my existing vr12 center to the vr-mc. I was pretty skeptical replacing the huge vr12 with the smaller vr-mc, but i believe it blends better with the mains (timbre matching?). The vr-12 definitely had more bass and presence, but the overall sound stage with the vr-mc is more seamless. Also, my wife loves the aesthetics of the smaller vr-mc. I changed my reciever settings (yamaha rxv-995) for the center from large to small. This configuration allows more bass to be sent to the mains and subwoofer (boston pv-800) I'm using an external three channel amp (rotel 993) to drive the three front speakers. The rxv995 powers the rears (boston dx-pro)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Miles,
I love my Bostons. They sound spectacular and are also very nice to look at (WAF was very high). Although there seems to be a preference on this forum towards Paradigm, Klipsch and B&W, there is a group of Boston fans.
How do the VR-M90's sound. I would have loved to have bought them vs the VR-M60's, but I would have been way over budget, plus my wife didn't want floor standing speakers. Oh well, maybe I'll upgrade to them in the future. :D

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i will "join boston acoustics fan club" in a few weeks. heheh.

is the improvement from vr940 to vr-m90 great?

Miles Abbey

Agent
I doubt there is much difference between vrm90's and vrm60's in dd and dts modes. The vrm90's sound better in 2-channel mode. I use my speakers primarily in dpl or dd/dts modes. To be honest, I had a little buyer’s remorse after my purchase, because I could have saved money with the vrm60's. There was a significant improvement when compared to the vr940s in all modes. The 940s are a great value though.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
thanks miles.

since this is a boston acoustics thread...i am considering psb image 1b for the surround since i couldnt affor one more pair of vr-m50. they are front mounted, available in cherry. what do you think?

Miles Abbey

Agent
How much are the psb image 1b speakers? I'm sure it would be ok. Another idea would be to get some junk speakers for surrounds (very inexpensive) and save for another set of future vrm50's. Also, you could save for a set of vrm60s and use the vrm50's as surrounds. My home theater system is always changing with the idea I will achieve the "ultimate theater system" Just a thought. Let us know how you like the bostons when you get them!!

Miles

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
miles, i could get the psb for about 220 bucks shipped. currently using paradigm cinema cc70. i will try the cc70 as surround while the bostons as the fronts. but because i am preparing my self for final exam next week, the boston will be shipped sometime next week so that i get it the day the final exams are done. otherwise i wouldnt be able to concentrate, ya know.

saving for vr-m60 or another vr-m50 is very unlikely. too expensive.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Felix,

So what did you finally decide? Are you getting the PSB's?

Also, good luck on your finals. BTW, what are you studying?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
yea i am leaning toward the psb, since they are front ported. havent bought them yet, but i will.

iam studying computer graphics, at depaul university, chicago. grad student.

Nick L

Second Unit
Felix, I currently have a pair of psb image 1b's and will get getting my vrm50's and vrmc either today or Friday. So we will have almost the same setup. After I get everything setup I will let you know how it all sounds. I've had the 1b's for about a year now and they are great speakers but lack the detail of the bostons. But they should work for surrounds.

I'll let you know.

Nick L

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
my speakers would arrive next week. both bostons and psb.

i will also let you know what i heard.

you see, i really want to know the meaning of "lack the detail". i have to hear them myself. maybe that means the psbs dont have clear highs? too warm or not enough treble?

well, it is much cheaper than the bostons that i dont expect much.

ron_kolarovic

Auditioning
To extend this thread even furthur...

Loved the bostons since I first heard them. Kind of a mix and match setup:

VR30's mains

VR10 center

Micro90X rears

Sony SAWM40 sub (will probably change this out in the future)

Onkyo 595

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Ron - It's always nice to welcome someone else to the unofficial Boston Acoustics fan club. I'm not familiar with the VR30's. How do they sound?

Miles Abbey

Agent
Hello fellow boston acoustics fans. I recently upgraded my center and sub to a VRMC center PV800 respectively. I'm going to sell my old center (vr12) and old sub (pv800) on ebay. If you know someone who might be interested drop me an email.

Thanks,

Miles

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i saw mobilsat, but i prefer to go to ebay. there is "siaudiophile" who sells boston acoustics stuff. an excellent ebayer. i paid 500 for a pair of vr-m50, and 450 for vr-mc, add 20 bucks for shipping.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i have my psb image 1b now. havent gotten the bostons yet, maybe tomorrow.

the image is warm, but not THAT warm. i will post my impression on separate thread in a few days. i used the image for just a few hours, but i didnt see any break in so far. i mean, it sounded good out of the box that i dont believe in speaker break in period anymore. and it is also bigger than i thought it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks