What's new

QUESTION ABOUT CENTER SPEAKER (1 Viewer)

SIKE00

Auditioning
Real Name
MICHAEL
I have a new set of Boston Acoustic SL65 6 1/2" component speakers and was wondering if I could build a box to but both of them in with thier tweets for a center channel speaker for my home stereo,,,but need to be able to have them run at 8 ohm for the reciever and the speakers are 4 ohm,,,can i wire to run at 8 ohm,,,and do you guys think it would sound good as a center channel speaker as car speakers are pretty decent,,,,Was just thinking these might sound as good as some of the 200-400 dollar home center channel speakers they want so much money for,,,,It is Boston Speakers and I know they rock hard for cars,,,was just wondering if this would be a good way to build up some home stereo speakers for cheaper,,,and then if this works could then build surrounds the same way. Its a Sony reciever that puts out 50W/channel,,,so would it be enough and do home stereo watts equal the same as car audio watts,,,I know a watt is a watt,,,but everyone rates/measures watts different as like Alpine watts are better then Lanzar watts,,,,,I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
There's more to building a speaker than just mounting them in a box. I'm not a speaker builder, but I know that. Speakers have cross-overs too. Do you know how to build the cross-over? I think that's probably the hardest part. Maybe someone here that can build speakers, can help you.
Good luck!

SIKE00

Auditioning
Real Name
MICHAEL
I understand theres more to it than just building a rectangle,,,I can build a box probably off of specs that I can probably get from Boston Acoustic,,,the speakers already come with cross overs, but since its a dedicated center channel output from the receiver, shouldnt it already have somewhat of a frequency cut on it anyway,,,i wouldn't think it is putting out full frequency output,,,but maybe it is,,,dont know a whole lot about home audio equipment, I'm more of a car audio guy. My father in law is a carpenter so building the box will not be a prob if I have some specs on it. I was just trying to come up with an affordable alternative to the expensive speakers that are on the market. I just dont understand what makes a home speaker so expensive, I can buy a Boston G5 12" sub and a amp to power it for alot less then even a 10" Paradigm,,,and I think the Boston would blow the Paradigm away,,,once again,,,just my opinion. I was just wondering if this is a sound theory/concept that I'm thinking about. Now I know we could go on forever about how home audio brands match their speakers and tonality and all that,,,but I just think this might be a good alternative that would sound very, very good and be less money than the $2,000-$5,000 sets of speakers out there now.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Car audio subs and enclosures are designed to provide the best bass response in the 35-60Hz frequency range in a limited environment. In other words, they are meant to be boomy and stupidly loud in a car.

Home audio subs and enclosures, on the other other hand, are meant to provide an expansive LFE and sub-bass soundstage down to 20Hz or below with a tactile effect and not be boomy and overpowering the rest of the soundtrack. And they are designed to do this in a room, not a trunk. Most home audio gear sounds really awful and performs badly in a car.

The 12" can move more air than the 10". That's scientific fact. My Paradigm Servo 15 can move more air than the Boston 12". It can also maintain an undistorted 105+dB @ 20Hz in a 20x20x12 living room, something the Boston 12" could not even come close to. Some of the guys here with SVS subs can outperform my Paradigm, I'm sure. The point I'm making is home audio, good home audio, involves more than putting speaker A in box B.

Is it possible to use car speakers for HT applications? Yes it is. Are they the best solution? Normally, no.

Usually, you are money ahead to buy the product intended for the application for which you are trying to use. In this case, you would be better off to buy a proper center channel than build your own from car audio components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation156
Recent bookmarks