What's new

What can be done for unreleased Movies? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

I know this topic has been addressed before, but what can be done to draw attention to movies and films that have never been released not only DVD or Blue Ray, but even on VHS or other video formats? There are films such as "The Perils of Pauline," starring Pat Boone or "What's So Bad About Feeling God?" starring Mary Tyler Moore and George Peppard that has never been released ever.

I know other fans have Holy Grails that have never been released also. Some have written books or articles about these lost gems or to the studios that own the rights, but why else can be done to encourage the film companies (besides WB Archives) to encourage these movies come out on DVD or Blue Ray? I know some films have music issues, and others are caught up in other technicalities, but what else can be done?

I'm so tired of seeing some movies released and re-released on DVD or blu ray, when so many others haven't come out yet?

James

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
There are so many films that the elements are in such bad shape and are in dire need of a restoration. The studios do not see these films as marketable enough to spend the money to restore or even remaster.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
A certain amount of restoration work needs to be undertaken essentially on a non-profit basis. A number of organisations are involved with that, and I hope we can at least maintain the level of spending, while hopefully making the money go further. It should be made available for uncommercial projects on the basis of artistic merit, historic significance, and endangered films that must be prioritized due to degrading elements.

Beyond that, I think if copyright is keeping movies out of circulation and preventing them from being seen, that is an issue that needs to be addressed. I reckon there should perhaps be some sort of 'use it or lose it' clause where copyright is concerned. I sometimes wonder about the viability of releasing certain films in foreign jurisdictions if it can be established that they are in the public domain in that territory. If Disney (for example) has no intentions of ever releasing 'Song of the South', perhaps a high quality master can be derived from a good Technicolor print and put on bluray as a legitimate public domain release somewhere on planet earth.

There do seem to be a certain number of films in the pipeline each year that many of us long doubted, or never dreamed would see release. I just wonder how much room there is for more, how long of a queue, and how many films are even up for consideration.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol. It's one of the best animated versions of Dickens story ever. Far Surpassing the Jim Carrey version. I've been hoping for a legitimate release for years (with extras) before Richard Williams passes away. But . . . .

Thanks for your insight Interdimensional, it helps. Are there any others?

james

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
"What can be done"? I've wondered the same thing . There are many old TV shows I'm hoping will show up on DVD in some form or another. And some films as well. Movies always seem to have a better chance of getting a release , since there's only the one film , not multiple episodes .

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
In the past few years labels like Twilight Time, Kino and Olive have dug into a few studios back catalogs. There have been many films that have not had releases since VHS and some that have never had a release at all. I do think the studios have no issue if someone else releases these titles. But many of those titles have been kind of a 'as is' situation, while some have had new 4k restorations. It is a mixed bag. Overall, I would say the studios are done. They will continue to release what they consider core titles. These titles are still profitable for them.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Beyond that, I think if copyright is keeping movies out of circulation and preventing them from being seen, that is an issue that needs to be addressed. I reckon there should perhaps be some sort of 'use it or lose it' clause where copyright is concerned.
I used to think letting films fall into the public domain was a good thing, but all that seems to accomplish is to hinder the distribution of high quality presentations of such films.

---------------

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Well, if any of us ever wins the lottery or comes into a great inheritance I'd like to think that maybe we'd be selfless enough to fund some restorations of some missing titles if the studio gave us permission. Maybe even start our own third party release company. That's always been a dream... Of course, most of my titles that I've longed for have been released now thanks to TT, Olive, and Kino especially, but there are a few out there, like Secret of the Incas, the Alamo, 55 Days at Peking (a Region A release), El Cid, etc.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any others? I know we have so much, but I still more "missing" classics could be made available, especially tv movies from the sixties and seventies. For me, there's "The Omega Connection," from Disney that aired once or twice on the Wonderful World of Disney in the late seventies or early eighties. Wish that would come out.

James

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As much as we all have certain favorites that WE would like to see get a blu ray or DVD release, we still live in the real world. Is there a market for Pat Boone in The Perils Of Pauline? I seriously doubt it. Granted, there are a lot of obscure trash titles that get released when some real gems are neglected but like it or not, there is a market for cheesy 80s action flicks starring Chuck Norris which is why stuff like that get released but a Mary Tyler Moore comedy like What's So Bad About Feeling Good? sits in the vault gathering dust.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've come to terms with the fact that some films I want to see again will never be released on disc. What still irritates me is the wall of silence that often surrounds these films. For every film where we're told what is causing the hold-up, there are fifty films where no information is ever given. Does anyone know why A Woman Of Summer with the magnificent Joanne Woodward is MIA? Has anyone heard Universal explain why The Hell With Heroes with Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale has never been released on disc?

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I still would like to burn my own blu rays. When I buy a cd from iTunes, one of the options is to burn a copy for my library, which I always do. I should be able to legally pay for download and burn a blu ray of any movie which is not already on disc.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I've come to terms with the fact that some films I want to see again will never be released on disc. What still irritates me is the wall of silence that often surrounds these films. For every film where we're told what is causing the hold-op, there are fifty films where no information is ever given. Does anyone know why A Woman Of Summer with the magnificent Joanne Woodward is MIA? Has anyone heard Universal explain why The Hell With Heroes with Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale has never been released on disc?

I still think it comes down to not having decent enough elements to create a master. Many films that were not successful or are not considered marketable will not get any consideration. The financial return is not strong enough to spend the money to restore or remaster them. The studios have been working with mostly the same titles throughout the history of the home entertainment market.

Kino seems to be releasing some titles that have not had been released before. Mostly from the Paramount vault which is encouraging. But I have to believe that Paramount is restoring these films for prosperity and not because they feel they are going to be money making for the studio. In the case of Universal, I tend to think they are just cheap and are only willing to restore the films they feel have historic significance.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've come to terms with the fact that some films I want to see again will never be released on disc. What still irritates me is the wall of silence that often surrounds these films. For every film where we're told what is causing the hold-op, there are fifty films where no information is ever given. Does anyone know why A Woman Of Summer with the magnificent Joanne Woodward is MIA? Has anyone heard Universal explain why The Hell With Heroes with Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale has never been released on disc?

This is just a guess but I suspect The Stripper (aka A Woman Of Summer) which is based on the William Inge play Loss Of Roses may have problems involving the Inge estate which is presumably the reason Warners hasn't released Dark At The Top Of The Stairs, another much requested title based on an Inge play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks