What's new

What are you playing right now? (3 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
^ I have a cherry CRT with S-video input I'd happily give you. (I think we had a thread in another sub-forum about how these large guys aren't so convenient to get rid of...for free.) I don't have anything console-wise that uses S-video, and I have some half-decent video converters JIC something comes up. If you ever run out of CRTs, there are some guys here quite familiar with good converters. I mostly missed the S-video gaming era, think I went from RF converter to HDMI...

Most people on E-Bay selling them are "pick up only" for obvious reasons, but the ones that do ship sell for a nice amount of money(19"- 24" sell best because they are still manageable weight wise-Sony Triniton seem to be the most popular). they are worth their weight in the right circles. Hardcore gamers are most plentiful on E-Bay for buying such things. And trust me they do sell.

I have four 27" CRT TV's until 2 years ago 3 of them(1999) were never used(for classroom and offices outfitted through an entire public school system) I got them for free as they were being discarded I also have a 27" Samsung HD that is a beauty, and one 24" model that I'm not sure how I want to use it yet. It is the most unimpressive but still pretty decent I may use it for a Atari 2600 when I get one.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ So you're loaded then. Yeah, it's a 27" and damn heavy. I think the scrap merchants pay by the pound...if you can get it to them (won't fit in my car). It is entirely against my nature to throw out something that works perfectly, even if I have no use for it, would rather give it away to somebody who'll use it. Even if, in the end, there's no real difference to me, it's "right" in my mind...

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
^ So you're loaded then. Yeah, it's a 27" and damn heavy. I think the scrap merchants pay by the pound...if you can get it to them (won't fit in my car). It is entirely against my nature to throw out something that works perfectly, even if I have no use for it, would rather give it away to somebody who'll use it. Even if, in the end, there's no real difference to me, it's "right" in my mind...

Yeah, I'm set, but thanks for the offer. Craig's list is a great site for gamers buying their supplies too. list it there and you may even have someone come to your door, take it and give you some cash.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The last PS3 I bought came with "The Last of Us". Never played it much, I honestly couldn't figure out what the heck was going on or what to do, it was so different than the style of games I had played previously. Looks pretty "normal" to me now. Do you think it's worthwhile to get the PS4 version instead? Graphics that much better? At this point I would be playing it on a 1080p/plasma, my 4K/LCD doesn't do HDR even if the game does. (Could have sworn I already had the PS4 version here too, but apparently not. It's quite cheap now.)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Going to start Metal Gear Solid V as soon as it's done downloading.
But I just also started Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Craig - The Last of Us is usually on sale for $10 or less at a lot of places. If you're okay with re-buying it, then I'd definitely play it. Feel free to go through it on the Easy difficulty setting if its too different of a style for you. Playing the game on a harder difficulty plays into the story and setting more (the tension and fear you feel adds to your connection with the characters) but its not really essential since the story is still really good.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I had the urge to get my NES fired up again, but honestly knowing the NT Mini exists make it nearly impossible. I keep wrestling with the idea of just buying it, but the price keeps reality checking me out of it.

This looks more than a dream come true, and I really should just bite the bullet(after Christmas of course). I keep putting it off, and my luck it will be sold out forever.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just started Fallout: New Vegas. I finished Fallout 4, so I thought I would check out its' predecessor. Plus, it was only $10 and I have 2 weeks off for Christmas coming up, so I need something to pass the time. :)
The only problem with going back in time in the video game world is that the graphics also go back in time. It hope I will get used to it. I did download a mod that adds a little more vegetation, hoping it will help.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Craig - The Last of Us is usually on sale for $10 or less at a lot of places. If you're okay with re-buying it, then I'd definitely play it. Feel free to go through it on the Easy difficulty setting if its too different of a style for you. Playing the game on a harder difficulty plays into the story and setting more (the tension and fear you feel adds to your connection with the characters) but its not really essential since the story is still really good.

It seems to be CA$20 at most places around here. If it was CA$10, I wouldn't have even asked if I should buy it. But $20 is $20, we're talking real money now!

I didn't know it was regularly that cheap, I just happened to come across it yesterday in stores, and I know it's a well-regarded game. I was hoping to get a copy of the recommended PS4 VR Resident Evil 7 Biohazard Gold edition, but it wasn't in any of the stores, not even the gaming stores around here. They were charging almost as much for a used copy of the original edition, which is also not easy to get here, so I passed. Got Doom VFR instead (CA$40), that's about as much as I'm usually willing to spend on a game. But considering the entertainment value *I* get from a game, even if they were $200 it would probably still be a "good deal" for me...I'm just cheap.

The Last of Us would be "nothing" to me now. I always play everything on default/medium difficulty, and I usually only play once so I'm never going to be an "expert". It's just at the time I got it, it was a completely different style than the types of games I had played. They weren't the types of games where you pick up items to do stuff with them later, and they weren't as open or flexible re outcomes etc....very constrained games compared to this one. So I didn't know what to do. But I'm always like that at the beginning of a new game of that type, just didn't know it yet because The Last was the first...you should have seen me at the start of Skyrim, or rather it's better you didn't, it was really embarassing...I embarassed myself in private even.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The supply of high quality sets dried up around here years ago. I used to be able to go on Craigslist and find for next to nothing, late model Trinitrons and such without any trouble. Now it's a real rarity when I've looked.

I'm in a college town that's otherwise in a poor rural area. So you have the teachers and such that on a whim abandoned nearly new $1000+ CRT's years ago and quickly got rid of them, leaving the occasional cheap and well worn budget CRT from more price conscious consumers that finally made the HD leap for the remaining supply.

And I'm too spoiled to ever go back to a lower end CRT after falling in love with high end CRT's.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It kills me that in around 2012 I got rid of my 27" Sony Triniton flat screen. It was gently used but it suddenly stopped powering on. I brought it to the Goodwill not thinking much about it. For a probable $200 service call from a TV repairman I would have had it repaired and years of life brought back to it.

I don't know where the Hell my head was at that time of my life. I always loved retro gaming. It had every input imaginable, and a beautiful picture like none since. Component cable PS2 was something special.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've been kicking myself lately about a used Dreamcast that I tossed back around 2002 or so. It would start but wouldn't load discs, so I bought another and threw this one out.

It would've been a perfect candidate today for the new SD card replacement for the optical drive that some hobbyists have developed for the DC. Used Dreamcasts are still cheap I imagine, but this one could've probably lived on had I held on to it.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Hard to beat a Trinitron. Never had a large flat one of my own, but all our high-end monitors at work were Trinitron-based back in the day, regardless of the name on them, you could tell by the thin shadow-mask wires you could see if you looked carefully...not that the picture didn't already give it away, unique. They usually had some custom input cables though, so when "retired" they were of no use to anybody unless you also had that SGI (usually) system at home, a shame to see such nice stuff tossed, but that's the nature of high-end graphics stuff/industry, the shelf-life is short, everybody wants the latest.

I do have a nice Trinitron "semi-pro" monitor that cost me a small fortune and it can be calibrated essentially perfectly. Not as industry-standard perfect as the Sony pro monitors, but almost (for a lot less money). I retired it to my basement "museum" one summer a few years ago when it was just so damn hot I couldn't stand it. Retired all my CRTs and replaced them with larger-screen LCDs, they sure are cooler, but just don't have the warm comforting look of a CRT, I have no proof, but CRTs seem easier on the eyes somehow.

I also have a small (but very heavy) Trinitron from 1980 that still works perfectly, a nice-looking TV, about as "flat" and square as they got in those days. It's the one I used to use with games back in the days of RF input, from a modulator or directly in, would be good for a really retro system.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anybody played "Rise of the Tomb Raider" on PS4, specifically the (supposedly) VR-enhanced part of it? Do you recommend it in general (non-VR)? I don't know anything about the game, sounds like there might be a DLC or something that is VR-enhanced, not sure. I see it's CA$20 now, why I'm asking, I could use some more VR content, the only games I have so far are very short.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Been playing OUTLAST on the PS4. A survival horror in the first person where you are investigating an insane asylum that's gone completely off the rockers. There is zero combat, all you can do is run and hide, and it mostly works, you feel the suspense like you're supposed to. It's just not grabbing me and I find it a little cheap that the inmates seems to have zero trouble navigating the pitch black when you have to resort to using the battery devouring night vision on your camcorder.

I'm probably going to ditch this and maybe start WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY. it looks cute and colourful and the winter puts me in the mood for some slow gaming.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was really liking Skyrim until the amount of random dragon attacks skyrocketed from every once in a while to about every 10 minutes. I’m about 30 hours in and a level 71 Nord tank and I expect to meet leveled enemies but this is getting completely ridiculous. I’ve actually hit a point where I’m considering quitting the game because it might as well be broken. If I fast travel anywhere, I’m immediately set upon by a revered dragon (sometimes two at the same time) who almost immediately kills everyone in the village I warped to. So much for blacksmiths, shopkeepers, and NPCs handing out quests. They fly for a bit then land on top of building and chant spells and breathe fire or ice. They never land on the ground where I can go melee with them. Walking from location to location isn’t much better. This is one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I’ve ever encountered.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Craig - I played Rise of the Tomb Raider and did the extra VR level. It's neat but, yeah, I'm not sure it's worth playing in non-VR. It really does feel like they wanted to make something with VR and came up with that but it doesn't really add to the story too much. That said, it's only like 1-2 hours long so you could probably crank it out quickly if you wanted to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks