1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are you playing right now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Did the copy you got with your PS3 include the DLC adventure? I think it's usually (always?) included with the PS4 version, and it's definitely worth playing.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I actually preferred the DLC to the main game.

I started WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY on the PS4. only a couple of hours in, I've found the first town and went to the first cave style dungeon. It's a lot more in depth than it looks. Well, it is to me, the last JRPG like this I played was Dragon Warrior III on the NES so I'm not totally up to speed. Anyway, it has a pokemon type thing going on where you have to capture "mirages" little creatures you can "stack" with your two main characters to give you more stuffing for battles. There's a lot of stats and things you can do for these stacks, which is not a complaint. I don't know how many hours it takes to finish this one, it seems pretty linear so far, but it's what I was looking for and I'm sure to enjoy it through the winter months.

3. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Yes, I have. The VR bit is just a side story where you are walking around the mansion exploring for clues. There is no combat or anything, other than walking around.

The game itself is fantastic though, and I would absolutely recommend getting the game. It's 99% traditional game, and 1% VR content. That 99% is great though.

Play the DLC for OUTLAST if you really want to see the most intense in a terrible way sequence in a horror game. :eek: I'll just stop saying anything else right there....

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    It took 20 years, but I finally started playing Final Fantasy VII. The PS4 version has some cool cheats to speed up the game, like being able to play everything except cutscenes at triple speed, and the ability to turn off random encounters entirely.

I had to go online and look up how to beat the very first boss, so I guess it's a good thing that I waited. :D

5. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Ummmm, not to discourage you, but if you needed to do that, I don't have much hope for the rest of the game for you. :D

Of course, turning off the random encounters will hurt you greatly, since they are needed very much to level up, so you can defeat said bosses...

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In the PS4 port of FF7, you can use cheats to do all sorts of things, like max out your money, refill HP/MP, get infinite limit breaks...

7. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Stunt Coordinator

Got a pretty tall stack of unfinished games, but I've been playing mostly Destiny2 (xbone) and Xenoblade Chronicles2 until last night.
    They Are Billions is in early-access beta on Steam--almost as addicting as RimWorld...

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Tell me about it!!!

Actually, the issue is a grammar error -- during the battle, your buddy tells you to attack when the enemy's tail is in the air, when what he really means is DON'T attack when the enemy's tail is in the air! According to what I found online, this sort of thing is rampant in the game, and probably should have been addressed.

Hopefully they will do so in the "remake" edition. :)

9. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Downloaded Dead island Riptide from PSN for $4.99. I played the previous Dead Island and enjoyed it. When I finish Mad Max I'll play Dead Island Riptide.

10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I got this before Christmas, but I'm just getting into it now. $60 is cheap for the amount of fun you get. This is the best plug n play I have seen. Final Fight 2, and 3 from the SNES are worth it alone. Dragon Breed was my favorite game as a kid. and playing it now with a comfortable controller, and on my 55" 4K TV it is pretty neat. You can also add games through the SD memory card slot, just add the rom file unzipped on the card, and this thing will play them as well.

11. Message #1931 of 2008 Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    They sadly got the 3:4 arcade ratio messed up for the vertical games I see. Not nearly wide enough when it's supposed to look like a 90 degree rotated 4:3 display.

It should look like this Satan's Hollow screenshot from the excellent last-gen compilation Midway Arcade Origins. The correct ratio of a vertically oriented arcade game is .75, yet these come out at approximately .56 instead. So instead of 3:4, we're looking at 2.24:4.

[​IMG]

Some rare arcade games that don't see compilation releases are here though, so I'd like to pick one up in 2018 thanks to improved emulation after last year's shoddy release. Are you still limited to their proprietary controllers like the 2016 RetroBit Generations though?

I did buy a SNES Classic Edition at launch and got an Atari Flashback 8 Gold Edition for Christmas, so I have some new plug and plays to enjoy until I add this one to the collection.

Bryan^H likes this.
  12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I tried my Adaptoid N64 USB controller(adaptor) and it worked fine.
    But honestly the controllers that come with unit are surprisingly well made. I was thinking about ordering more from the company.

LeoA likes this.
  13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Still playing Skyrim on the PS3. I can see how some people spend years playing this, but I won't [so he says...]. In between some PSVR games (PS4), the ones I have so far are very short, and they're extremely different from Skyrim. Mostly shooters. The one most recently and ongoing is Farpoint, with the Aim, the tracking of the Aim gun is really impressive, to me. I read that many people find the only (??) boss fight way too easy. WTF, I must have done it 100 times to get past it, mostly kept killing myself, the game shows personal health much like BioShock 2 (but less gory) and isn't too forgiving of major mistakes in explosives deployment.

14. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    This was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting much worse based on the complaints but I did get this for 20 bucks, after most of the bugs have been ironed out. Having played the original, it doesn't quite stack up however, that doesn't mean it isn't fun. I have played through as female (Pussy Ryder) and now I am playing through as male (Dick Ryder). They really upped the sex in this version though, depending who you shag with.

15. Message #1935 of 2008 Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I said I wouldn't do it for a year or two sometime before Christmas, but I broke down and started playing Skyrim VR. I guess I got it a month+ ago, it came in a bundle, I didn't really specifically want the game, but I wanted the other stuff. I had no idea it was a newly-released game (along with the Switch version), only found that out yesterday, I thought it was just new to me, I don't typically pay attention to release schedules.

There are differences, besides the obvious stuff. I detect some "slight adjustments", some to account for the fact that the DLCs are not optional, they're integrated (i.e. no vampire attacks at the beginning levels, so half the people in some small towns don't get killed before you even meet them). The beginning-level loot is much better to help you out in this new VR world (besides that the default difficulty is set to the absolute easiest), mining and such is instantaneous (no 3rd-person perspectives i.e. you can never see yourself, so what you look like doesn't really matter, to you), when you crouch or jump it's much more "realistic" (you sure will notice it). The big map is actually very useful now. Vegetables are bloody huge, insects too. Doing things in water is much easier. People are much better-looking! You can get really close to stuff and examine it...quite nice. Many things stick out more, items I'm pretty sure I never found in the 2D game. If you use Moves, you can attack a different entity with each hand if you dual-wield. Using Moves is too much "work" for me, e.g. you have to "swim" with them to move through deep water, I'm too old/lazy for that, DS4 for me. It's enough the head movements just to do stuff, in that you go (or shoot bow) where you're looking and I have to move my head off my chair's backrest just to surface when swimming underwater...that's enough movement for me...

It's not nearly as "bad" as some say. It's just that things look really crappy/fuzzy at any distance beyond "close" (PS4 Pro), but look pretty good at short to medium distances, though not nearly the rez that PS4 gamers are used to. Compromises, the PS4 capability is the limiting factor I'll guess, and Sony requires compatibility with all PS4 models too (I'm not sure an "enhanced"/Pro version would change much). Definitely worth it, if this game hadn't been included in the bundle I'd 99% never have played it. The game seems mostly the same, though the UI is quite different; in general better-looking, but not totally unclunky at this stage. I think I'd rate this implementation as quite successful, it must have been a huge amount of work requiring some tough decisions. Tracking seems good, I play sitting down (of course!) and my camera position has worked well with everything I've played so far, not sure if that matters a whole lot as long as it's reasonable but no complaints there with the game either.

16. Message #1936 of 2008 Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Coming out early next month as a $20 Nintendo Select rerelease, if you haven't bought it yet. Great game at a great price.

Super Mario 3D Land and Ultimate NES Remix for the 3DS are also coming out as Selects rereleases. Will be picking up Super Mario 3D Land myself since I never got around to playing this one (I already have A Link Between Worlds and on the Wii U, NES Remix Pack).

17. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    In my ever increasing list of games I started years after they came out, I finally added Skyrim (Special edition).
    I just started it yesterday. I had no interest initially because I am not into RPG games. The idea of having to "build" a character seems daunting. I have watched a lot of power builds on YouTube from Major Slack and every build he made looks awesome. I don't know what style to chose. I think I have already made a huge mistake in that I have been sort of leveling up the different skills/traits kind of without a focus. So nothing is getting strong enough to start the main quest line.

I think the problem I am having is that I have pretty much only played FPS games. And in Skyrim the combat is completely different. I can't seem to get the hang of the keys and spells etc. If I don't start to pick up this new style of game I might end up giving up.

Why is the left hand weapon/spell activated by the right mouse button and the right hand weapon/spell activated by the left mouse button? This has gotten me killed over and over!!

Any advice on what type of character I should play. My character is at about level 7 and I have mostly been using weapons although I could still go mage. I do have the Bound Bow which I learned how to get early in the game thanks to Major Slack. :)

18. Message #1938 of 2008 Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Since it seems to be quietish here these days, I'll throw in my 3 cents...

It doesn't really matter what character you choose, in the long run. Your choice of race won't prevent you from doing anything, but each choice will have some slight advantage in certain areas. No choice will prevent you from doing anything. Gender even less relevant, there are only a very few gender-specific things (perks) and it's hard to say which has the advantage overall, so equal.

At the beginning, concentrate your skill development on combat-related skills. This is because the strength of enemies levels with you, and if all your character leveling increases are due to e.g. being a great alchemist, you're going to get slaughtered by wolves even. So pick a few combat skills, and try to use them a lot. Don't try to be a jack of all trades, you can do that later when you're confident in holding your own.

Archery is the only real ranged combat skill you'll have at the beginning, and it's by far the best ranged one in the game. A good skill to have, which you can supplant with something else later if you don't like it (most do). So at the beginning, go to Riverwood and hitch up with Faendal and suck him dry of his archery training for free. Use all the training opportunities you have and can afford in your few chosen combat skills. Even if you have to pay and can't steal/pickpocket the money back, because you will find that after a certain point it is very slow to increase combat skills i.e. buy the low skills, put your fighting into gaining the higher ones.

A good faction to join is the Companions in Whiterun. It's trivial to join and there are lots of combat trainers there. You don't even have to do anything else (quests) to get access to many of them. Same for the Mages college in Winterhold. The Thieves Guild/Riften is a really good place to become familiar with, very cheap to buy a carriage ride there from Whiterun, little work to join, tons of benefits that are very useful especially at the beginning and all through the game. Actually, join all the factions you can, you don't have to participate in their activities (quests). Avoid the Civil War factions until much later, or totally avoid for most play flexibility. If you delay doing the Main questline for quite a while, you will not have to contend with dragons. Thus you can become quite strong, get well-equipped and experienced, then start doing the main questline...the dragons will be stronger by then, but you'll know what to do.

Use the appropriate Guardian stone (at the least) before taking any training, and as often as practical when you know you're likely to face combat. Actually, at the beginning, use the Guardian stone if possible before doing any significant crafting too, because crafting will indirectly help your strength/combat. But be careful, like I said, don't become an excellent crafter (e.g. alchemist) without the physical/combat strength to back it up. And don't just buy your combat skills, you better intersperse some actual experience in there too. At low levels, skills level up very quickly, and thus your character will level up fairly quickly too, which means your enemies will be stronger and you possibly not much more so. Control your speed of leveling by judicious use of the Stones, you'll get a feel for it. e.g. if you want to do a lot of Pickpocketing, a non-combat but very useful skill, and a skill that levels ridiculously quickly, you may not want to have the Thief stone in effect.

Put all you level up points into Health, for quite a few levels at the beginning, maybe even "forever". Magicka and Stamina are really easy to effectively boost (or eliminate the need for, eventually) by all sorts of gear and perks, and you'll have fair access to a lot of these at lowish levels. They are also useless when you're dead (i.e. no Health). Save perk points until you can get something you will use, don't feel compelled to blow them just because you have them, you can do that later.

And BTW, the above is mostly a compilation of all the things I didn't do. :) In my first game. So don't feel bad in any way, it didn't matter at all in the long run, that is just IMO a "better" way for the beginning after seeing the game mechanics.

Scott-S likes this.
  19. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Thanks for the reply. I have decided that I am going to focus on being a stealth mage with archery backup (I have the bound bow). This is way out of my comfort zone since I usually play shooters. I think this might make me appreciate the game as something different. Unfortunately I have wasted some skill buildup on one handed weapons until now since that is what felt more comfortable with. I just hope I can get a better feel for the keys and the delay with the spell casting.

20. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ That's how I started out. I am "unappreciative" of any of this magicky/dragony stuff, in books and movies, but decided to give it a go anyway, to play totally against my instincts. I had never even played a game where I could use a sword or bow. Quite like bows though. So I did all the magic stuff, became Archmage ASAP...then hardly ever used any of it again. Concentrated all my efforts into being a sneaky thievy archer. The magic stuff is a good backup when for whatever reason you have your armor/weapons stripped away...they can't take your magic skills. And there are some things there's no other way to do except by magic, lots of useful things.

The bound bow is good at the beginning...I've never had one near the beginning, never even had it offered. Eventually though it will be hugely outclassed by ones you find or make yourself. One potential advantage of the bound bow is it increases two skills at once (when you hit something), besides that it weighs nothing.

You still need a melee skill, so one-handed is not a waste. Even with a great bow and lots of archery skill, they're a pain in close quarters. Slow too. Sword or dagger is much better, or two daggers, don't underestimate a little stabby stabby.