What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I honestly think trophies and achievements have kind of made gaming worse in the last generation or so. It's nice to use them as a gauge for "I did every single thing in this game" but it's also annoying to, like Russell said, finish a game and see a small percentage of trophies completed and then be disappointed. Some games use trophies for regular play goals (finish each chapter, beat bosses, finish the game on given difficulties) whereas others use them for special things (do this dumb move here, kill X bad guys with Y weapon, etc.). I enjoy either kind because one is gauging success and progress while the other can be entertaining. But I honestly would be totally fine if games didn't have them at all.

As much as people are hoping Nintendo implements something like this on the Switch, I'd rather see them handled by individual games in simple ways. A menu in the game that lists achievements or progress meters is good enough. If I do something cool or unique, maybe give me a new weapon or hidden treasure instead of just a trophy notification?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ To those trophy points made, I'll add another: having 90% of the trophies resulting from playing DLCs. And re the PS3, all of those DLCs often aren't included in any of the compendium reissues (e.g. GOTY) so you sometimes still have to buy something else too, if you really care about "completion".

I don't care about trophies or participation ribbons etc. myself, say it with cash or at least something I can get my teeth into (literally). Beer works too. But what can you expect from a pretend achievement anyway?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the Halo 5 campaign after putting it down for a good long time (I think the release of Destiny DLCs and then Destiny 2 had something to do with that). I enjoyed the campaign. Now I am organizing with a few buddies to re-do the campaign but at either heroic or legendary, and to go looking for the skulls and mission intels, which I did not do at all when playing solo.

I'll be thankful for real co-op play because the AI for your squad is really horrible. They're like useless potatoes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Craig - most GOTY editions on PS3, IIRC, usually included all DLC. What are some games that didn't? And while I agree that DLC-connected trophies were annoying, I think there may have been rules for PS3 and Xbox 360 about how many trophies DLC can carry and whether or not they would affect earning a Platinum trophy. For example, Fallout 3 had a bunch of DLC with extra trophies but I think you could get a Platinum if you got all the trophies of the base game and ignored the DLC. No games, as a rule for both platforms, could have "base" trophies that were tied to DLC.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Craig - most GOTY editions on PS3, IIRC, usually included all DLC. What are some games that didn't?

My memory isn't good enough to go past the previous game (to Skyrim) that I played: Borderlands 2 GOTY. It didn't include all DLC, something I didn't know until I got to level 61 and noticed after a fair while that my level wasn't increasing: you need to buy the next DLC to get to the final level 72, and then proceed to the OP levels. You're not prevented from playing without it though, but not increasing your abilities within the game is almost pointless for this type of game. The final DLC is cheap enough, and I'm not ruling it out in the future... I'm not sure, but I think one of the Oblivion PS3 GOTY versions (there are two) is missing some of the DLC (I only have the standard version).

That Borderlands thing had nothing to do with trophies though, strictly about character progression. I don't pay attention to trophies, except like Russell G said, when I'm finished playing some games pretty much "completely", but not necessarily all the DLCs if they weren't included, I see I have a single-digit percentage of the trophies. I know that the trophies are arranged as part of the marketing strategy for the age group that really goes for them, I encounter them on some gaming forums where it's clear that getting the trophies is more important than playing/enjoying the game. I am way too old to relate to that, I don't think we had anything remotely similar when I was that age, just real trophies for some physical/academic achievment.

Re Skyrim: there are still an awful lot of people playing this. I bought the PS3 version sufficiently long ago (but not that long) that the PS4 version is significantly cheaper now...should have got that instead, higher-res graphics on the remaster, but didn't think I'd like the game that much. I mostly got it by rep and rec, and I believe it was Russell who finally "convinced" me to play it...I thought it would be all wizardy and magicky which is not really my thing. It can be that, but you can minimize it or maximize it to a large extent, to your taste. Plus that with the last official game update there's no real level cap, so that became a new challenge to many players. I don't know if the enemies keep getting stronger too though, and if not, it would eventually probably become too easy even on maximum difficulty. And yeah, the PS3 is still getting FW updates (last week IIRC), so a lot of them must still be chugging along.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So you said that DLC is often not included in GOTY editions because you remember Borderlands 2's GOTY edition not having it's DLC? That's it? I'm pretty sure nearly all GOTY editions of games that had DLC also included the DLC or at least had a download code for it. I know I'm picking apart semantics, but I was wondering if there were like dozens of games like this.

With Borderlands 2, I did some digging and, yeah, there's 2 pieces of DLC that weren't included in the GOTY edition. There's about 10 pieces of DLC that were made and 8 of them came with the GOTY. That's annoying for people who want the full experience, I agree, and it's kind of crappy that Gearbox would release it like that. I think part of the problem is that games get a GOTY edition within a year or so of release, but then DLC keeps coming out after. With Oblivion, I think, they released an Anniversary edition a couple years later that did include all DLC (but only on PC?).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was thinking that with Borderlands 2 the 2 missing DLC came after the GOTY addition was announced? I'm probably wrong. I think the Handsome Collection includes it all.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
So you said that DLC is often not included in GOTY editions because you remember Borderlands 2's GOTY edition not having it's DLC? That's it? I'm pretty sure nearly all GOTY editions of games that had DLC also included the DLC or at least had a download code for it. I know I'm picking apart semantics, but I was wondering if there were like dozens of games like this.

I only made the statement because I remembered it for something fairly recent, and it was disappointing/unexpected. I was frustrated because, like you, I previously assumed all GOTYs have all DLCs and clearly that is a false assumption, all it takes is one counter-example. If I wanted to update FW for all my PS3s (can't see trophies otherwise) then go over them, I'm sure I could find some other games where it applies, I need to see the games to refresh my memory, that's just how it works for me. And then there's the dozens of PS3 games (usually GOTY if available) I've never even opened yet.

Not a big deal, I'm not complaining about the lack of the DLCs themselves necessarily (though nice to have *on disc*), was just commenting on how the marketing is aimed at trophy hounds/completists, with a large proportion of trophies being allocated to the DLCs. Which originally would have been at extra cost. I tend to only play the DLCs if they're fairly well integrated, such as in the Fallouts and Skyrim. But in Skyrim they're so integrated they can't really be separated out, and in fact continually affect all gameplay as long as they're installed, so you can't really "not play" some parts of some of them once installed.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was thinking that with Borderlands 2 the 2 missing DLC came after the GOTY addition was announced? I'm probably wrong. I think the Handsome Collection includes it all.

What? I'm missing two DLCs? I thought I was only short one, oh well, but I really do like having stuff on disc, just makes me feel better because...you never know with anything Sony controls...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Mad Max is great, especially for $5. It's a surprisingly polished experience which, like most open-world games, is best enjoyed in small doses.

Here are some newer games I'm currently playing (and recommend):

Mass Effect: Andromeda (Xbox One): I'm the ideal player for this game because (A) I've never played through the original trilogy (B) I'm taking my time with the game (C) Many of the technical issues have been ironed out. Basically, I read all of the numerous slams upon release, so I expected much, much, much worse than I actually got, so I had no choice but to be pleasantly surprised.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4): I'm enjoying this game a lot. It's one of the best-looking games in this console generation, and the story is pretty good, though I'm not blown away by it like many others have been (but I'm only about 12 hours in). The main miracle of Horizon is creating a combat system involving a bow & arrow which is actually fun. Seriously though, this game is just visually breathtaking.

Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch): I've "won" this game and am now heading back into it again for more (and there's a lot more). This is simply a joyous game experience, short-dose fun all around.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4): It's a minor miracle what MachineGames has done with this series, especially when you consider its roots. It managers to be rich and somber but also silly and broadly satirical. This sequel has gotten complaints about its length, but I haven't found that to be a problem. It has a really interesting hub-world concept which (sensing a theme here?) is best explored leisurely. This is not a game to rush through.

Prey (PS4): I hated, hated, hated the demo for this game. The frame rate was rough, the combat was imprecise and jittery, the mechanics were not well-explained, and there was just too much to read, not enough to do. The enemies slaughtered me before the demo ended, and I decided not to continue. But since launch, this game has been patched to be a much better experience, especially on PS4 Pro. I gave it another chance & was glad I did. Underneath some rickety systems is one of the most customizable upgrade systems to come out of a AAA game in a while. This game takes its time, and it's worth exploring every corner of the space, which is extremely interactive and scary when you have breathing room to explore it.

Skyrim VR (PSVR): Yeah yeah, I know, Skyrim AGAIN. Like a lot of others, I started a new game of Skyrim several times over the years, but usually only managed to get 5-6 hours in before drifting to something else. The story still doesn't grab me like it does others; the flexible mechanics are what I appreciate. Still, Skyrim in VR is amazing. The textures and polygons are ancient, but the feeling of "living" in this world really should be experienced, especially if you've never experienced VR before. It's the first PSVR game that I've played for hours at a time without getting sick (see most VR games with "smooth motion"), or without being overwhelmed by the difficulty (Resident Evil 7, I'm looking at you). Getting caught out in a thunderstorm while animals galloped past me was a really cool experience.

Monster Hunter Stories (3DS): I'm really, really bad at the Pokemon-influenced "rock, paper, scissors" battle games on the market. There are a TON of them. I have trouble remembering elemental strengths and weaknesses, and I'm just not that good at strategy. But MHS has a simple 3-element system, and most of its deep strategy is explained every time you battle, so you won't have to look up guides to remember the basics.

Ever Oasis (3DS): This is a Zelda clone with very simple, but fun, town-building and resource-gathering elements to hold it together. This is another game that's best played in short doses, over a long span of time, but mostly it just feels right - the animation just clicks, the music is sweeping, the frame rate is smooth.

Splasher (PC/Steam): A really fun platforming game in the style of Super Meat Boy, only with water cannons and slime. Super smooth, super precise handling, rich colors, fun as heck.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just started playing Horizon a couple days ago, but only got about 15-20 minute into it. I was absolutely stunned at how good the game looked, which says something since I just finished Uncharted: Lost Legacy. I need to go back and finish Farpoint and I have a handful of VR games, too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Been playing some freebie indie games from the PS+ on the PS4. Just wrapped up Valiant Hearts: The Great War. A fun side scrolling puzzle game that tells the story of World War I, I quite enjoyed it. It never got too taxing, relying more on thinking them out as opposed to twitchy timed events. Was a good one.

Also Gave The Swapper a little spin. Another puzzle game, this time in a space station with a ray gun that allows you to not just create clones that mimic your movements but swap your consciousness into them. It's very clever and I can sense it's going to get into deeper themes, but it's so dark and the characters so tiny on my set, I find it unpleasant to play.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think I played The Swapper a few years ago on PS4 when it was a free Plus game. I remember it being really good.

I'm sure it's great. I just don't want to play such a dark looking game I have to squint at.

Started up CONTRAST, another freebie from the PS+ program. Another platformer, this one that allows you to shift into silhouette in order to interact with shadows to get to areas you wouldn't otherwise be able to. The game looks okay, the story is a bit weird with all the characters being shadows other than yourself and a young girl you're helping. I find the controls a bit mucky with the camera angles though. I finished act 1, and I'm intrigued by the game that I'll probably finish it. If the controls get too flaky for some of the timed puzzles though I'll be out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Echo Night-PS1
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1354.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 21

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I discovered that one a few years back and enjoyed it.

There's a PS2 sequel as well, which is also a good game. I think there's even a 3rd game in the series on the PS2, but it never left Japan.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I discovered that one a few years back and enjoyed it.

There's a PS2 sequel as well, which is also a good game. I think there's even a 3rd game in the series on the PS2, but it never left Japan.

That PS2 sequel is a must buy as well.....but really expensive.
This title cost me $50, and although it is complete, and good disc condition, the booklet is in pretty poor shape-mint copies hover over a hundred bucks.

Shame on me for only learning about this title a few weeks ago. King's Field is one of my all time favorite games for the PS1(and PS2: The Ancient City). And Echo Night is from basically the same creative team, how did I miss this?

Anyway love this game so far everything about It is my type of game. Great atmosphere, music, and a mysterious story.

Also gives me a chance to play my cherry PS1. It's almost 20 years old and is basically new old stock. My original Ps1 from 95 kicked the bucket(whose didn't) and in 99 I bought myself a new Ps1. $189 was a hard pill to swallow but I only tried one game on it. Shortly after I got the Sega Dreamcast with 6 games, and never got back to it especially since the PS2 was the next step of my console addiction, and it was backward compatible. My Ps1 was in storage for all theses years. Don't know what happened to the dual shock that came with it. Had to resort to an original controller.

Anyway did a bit of homework on the best way to play/view PS1(for purists mainly). It was noted that S-video on a nice CRT is the best way to experience the library of PS1 games. I agree, it is beautiful. Using the Rolls Royce of my CRT collection...which was given to me for free by a good friend.

Retro gamers, no matter how much you hate these heavy CRT dinosaurs because of their bulk and weight, hold onto them. Please, they are the last hope for true retro gaming and they are being thrown in the trash and discarded at an alarming rate. It breaks ones heart.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I have a cherry CRT with S-video input I'd happily give you. (I think we had a thread in another sub-forum about how these large guys aren't so convenient to get rid of...for free.) I don't have anything console-wise that uses S-video, and I have some half-decent video converters JIC something comes up. If you ever run out of CRTs, there are some guys here quite familiar with good converters. I mostly missed the S-video gaming era, think I went from RF converter to HDMI...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks