What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
With the pending demise of the Wii Shop, I'm making one last round of purchases. This will be about the 6th time that I've said I'm finished with it over the past five years. :)

-Burgertime (NES)
-Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (TG16)
-Contra Rebirth (WiiWare)
-Gate of Thunder (TG16)
-Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Genesis)
-Shock Troopers (NeoGeo)

After ten years of downloads, I think that closes the book for me on Wii Virtual Console/WiiWare purchases (Of course these are actually on my Wii U's backwards compatible Wii Mode, since I transferred my collection over when I bought a Wii U).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am a beta tester for a new version of Empire (Empire Deluxe Combined Edition), funded with kickstarter money from fans of the game!
ED2.png

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
not really playing it at the moment, but last night I gave SKY FORCE ANNIVERSARY a spin since it was given out free on the PS+ plan and had a pretty good hour of fun with it. Anyone who went to the arcades in the 80's will remember 1941. It's basically the same SHMUP only with power ups that can be bought. I'm terrible at these games, so I found it difficult but fair. Especially when farming stars in order to upgrade the main cannon and what not. Once the horror challenge is over and I finally wrap up Fallout 4 I'll probably go back to this one.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I finally got my fill of Mario+Rabbids yesterday so I started Stardew Valley on my Switch late last night. I only played for about 5 minutes before I fell asleep in my recliner. I don’t blame the game, though. I had been up over 24 hours and was exhausted. This evening I’m going to give it another go.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Friends, after having a dopey Arena Battle, I have finally 100% finished Fallout 4! By "Finished" I mean I have played all the missions I can in all the DLC, and 100% trophied the thing on the PS4. I can't say it was fun at the end, it was getting to be repetition burnout with the quests and the whole Nukaworld DLC, while kind of fun at first is at complete odds with my characters hippy dippy attempts to unite the wasteland. I think that's my main rub with this one. Fallout 3 seemed more "fair" in your choices to deal with groups. This one basically had you choosing one at the expense of all others potentially being sworn enemies. Why can't we all just get along?

Anyway, burned out on massive AAA games now so I've been puttering with SKY COMMANDER CLASSIC, or whatever it's called on the PS4. They gave it away for free last month. A fun SHMUP (a genre I'm terrible at) that has a fair learning curve. I don't think I need to 100% it, but I would like to get all the in game achievements for the basic level on all 9 stages.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I never did start Red Dead Redemption like I had meant to.

I wonder if it would be foolish to buy the GOTY edition for the 360 that's in Wal-Mart's Black Friday ad for $12, and just keep the inferior PS3 version in its shrinkwrap.

Undead Nightmare alone is $10 digitally on the Playstation Store, so I suppose that I've already decided. $2 for a substantially better performing game isn't a bad deal.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Friends, after having a dopey Arena Battle, I have finally 100% finished Fallout 4! By "Finished" I mean I have played all the missions I can in all the DLC, and 100% trophied the thing on the PS4. I can't say it was fun at the end, it was getting to be repetition burnout with the quests and the whole Nukaworld DLC, while kind of fun at first is at complete odds with my characters hippy dippy attempts to unite the wasteland. I think that's my main rub with this one. Fallout 3 seemed more "fair" in your choices to deal with groups. This one basically had you choosing one at the expense of all others potentially being sworn enemies. Why can't we all just get along?

I get just so far into Fallout 4 and then I'm restarting with a different play style or a different set of mods. (Sometimes with Junkmaster, sometimes with Modern Firearms, sometimes without either mod.) The problem with this approach is, of course, that you end up replaying any number of 'starter' missions and exploring the easy NW section of the map to the extent that I have a good portion of the map memorized. I still find new things in the game, but I keep trying for that 'perfect' play through and consequently restarting. The latest update that was pushed yesterday kind of borked the eyes and is pretty creepy. The character's eyes kind of look like Gary Lockwood and Sally Kellerman in the early Star Trek episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. Maybe one of these days I'll have the discipline to not get bored and restart yet again (another Star Trek reference - like Riley in The Naked Time - 'One More Time')

- Walter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm like 99% done with Mario Odyssey and need to go back to South Park and Farpoint. Also have Horizon and Uncharted: Lost Legacy coming from Amazon today. There's also a couple PSVR games I need to go back to (either to finish or play new DLC).

I don't think there's anything else coming out this year that I have an interest in, so I should be good through the next couple months.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I get just so far into Fallout 4 and then I'm restarting with a different play style or a different set of mods. (Sometimes with Junkmaster, sometimes with Modern Firearms, sometimes without either mod.) The problem with this approach is, of course, that you end up replaying any number of 'starter' missions and exploring the easy NW section of the map to the extent that I have a good portion of the map memorized. I still find new things in the game, but I keep trying for that 'perfect' play through and consequently restarting. The latest update that was pushed yesterday kind of borked the eyes and is pretty creepy. The character's eyes kind of look like Gary Lockwood and Sally Kellerman in the early Star Trek episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. Maybe one of these days I'll have the discipline to not get bored and restart yet again (another Star Trek reference - like Riley in The Naked Time - 'One More Time')

- Walter.

I envy you being able to experiment with playstyles. I basically just fumble my way through, modding weapons so that I always have the most powerful type thing I can have at the time and linearly go through it.

I picked up the South Park game since it included the first one on the PS4. I was going to play it, but I realized I haven't watched south park for over 5 years so I should probably catch up on the show so I don't miss any references.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I like to experiment with the various character builds you see on youtube (such as those presented by Fudge Muppet). The pure melee build is fun but does get a bit repetitive. Not a big fan of the power armor play style as the armor always make me feel like I'm walking underwater. Better to avoid the hit vs. being able to absorb it, I say.

Sometimes I go pretty heaving into settlement building and other times not so much. One of my favorite building mods (Snap N' Build) got pulled by the author quite some time back and I haven't found anything that quite approaches it for building settlements. (I like lots of windows in my buildings and unless you go the barn or warehouse route the wood options are limited. Also half-panel walls offer a lot of flexibility.)

I haven't played anything else in a long, long time and probably should move on to something else besides Fallout 4. I've toyed with the idea of revisiting Bioshock, but maybe not.

- Walter.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Anyway, burned out on massive AAA games now so I've been puttering with SKY COMMANDER CLASSIC, or whatever it's called on the PS4. They gave it away for free last month. A fun SHMUP (a genre I'm terrible at) that has a fair learning curve. I don't think I need to 100% it, but I would like to get all the in game achievements for the basic level on all 9 stages.

That's Sky Force Anniversary, and it's a fun arcade shmup. Very easy compared to today's bullet hell shooters. However, I would caution that your goal of getting all the achievements for the easy difficulty, is actually tougher than getting 100% in the trophies :) Killing everything and/or not getting hit on the last few levels is insane.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
That's Sky Force Anniversary, and it's a fun arcade shmup. Very easy compared to today's bullet hell shooters. However, I would caution that your goal of getting all the achievements for the easy difficulty, is actually tougher than getting 100% in the trophies :) Killing everything and/or not getting hit on the last few levels is insane.

Based on playing level 9, I absolutely believe you! I've been farming cards on Level 6 on the hard level to see if it helps haha. I'll probably not stick with it for too long. It's fun to pick up for a few rounds though so I see myself playing it here or there like I used to with Pinball Arcade.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I started playing Skyrim on Nintendo Switch this morning and I really like it. I can already see I’m going to put at least a couple hundred hours into it. I put 165 hours into Breath of the Wild before beating it so 200 hours is not out of the realm of possibility.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
On average, I put about 20 hours a year into Oblivion, and still haven't touched the main quest since buying the game in early 2007.

I'd say 200 hours in Skyrim is a definite possibility if you enjoy lengthy adventure games and plan to tackle most of the quests available. Looking forward to it myself, since with the Shivering Isles expansion completed a few weeks back, the end is rapidly approaching for Oblivion and I'll finally be able to open Skyrim.

Hopefully I finish it before 2030. Good thing they seem to have closed the door on more single player Elder Scrolls games.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On average, I put about 20 hours a year into Oblivion, and still haven't touched the main quest since buying the game in early 2007.

I'd say 200 hours in Skyrim is a definite possibility if you enjoy lengthy adventure games and plan to tackle most of the quests available. Looking forward to it myself, since with the Shivering Isles expansion completed a few weeks back, the end is rapidly approaching for Oblivion and I'll finally be able to open Skyrim.

Hopefully I finish it before 2030. Good thing they seem to have closed the door on more single player Elder Scrolls games.
I would definitely say you’ve gotten your money’s worth. When I played Oblivion on 360, it took me a couple of months to finish the main story and 100% the Achievements. I was happy enough with just finishing the main story that I didn’t bother with the expansion(s).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
200 hours into Skyrim? You will not even be Skyrim babies if that's all you're going to put into it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the most anal gamer out there...pretty sure...and you will have hardly scratched it. Main quest? I completely forgot about it and have logged over 200 hours. I'm not even going to touch the Civil War thing. Seriously though, if you are even the slightest bit a completist, or like to tie up all loose ends, STAY AWAY from this game!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If you really knuckle down you can probably do Skyrim in 200 hours. It's not a knuckle down game though. The real joy is wandering about.

Mostly I've been farting around with Rockband Rivals the past bit, not really jumping into a big game since wrapping up Fallout 4. I did play through Escape Plan on the PS4, I they gave it away with the PS+ at some point. Fun little puzzle game that's not too taxing and only takes a couple hours to play.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
If you really knuckle down you can probably do Skyrim in 200 hours. It's not a knuckle down game though. The real joy is wandering about.

I imagine you could rush through the Main questline in 50 hours, and not have any fun, if that's what you want to do. I do realize some people like to go as fast as possible to get pretend trophies for pretend achievements in pretend worlds, but not the people here, it does seem to be an adult forum. Even though we like to play games... :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I imagine you could rush through the Main questline in 50 hours, and not have any fun, if that's what you want to do. I do realize some people like to go as fast as possible to get pretend trophies for pretend achievements in pretend worlds, but not the people here, it does seem to be an adult forum. Even though we like to play games... :)

One of the nice things with SKYRIM, on the PS3 anyway, was you could earn all the trophies simply by playing the game as the designers made it. So choosing a side in the civil war nets a trophy, as opposed for one trophy to join the imperial, a separate trophy for joining the Stormcloaks. I don't set out to 100% achievements but it would be nice to actually earn trophies simply by playing the game as opposed to specific grinding that might be against your play-style. I wish more games followed this model. Mainly due to finishing "Last Of Us" on normal difficulty and ending with 8% trophy completion makes you wonder what you did wrong. I mean, I survived the stupid game, finished the story, and only 8% "done"? Put me off playing any more of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks