What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of Supergiant, check out Hades if you haven't already. The Switch port in particular is very, very impressive.
is Hades a dungeon crawler, kinda Diablo-esque? Thinking about getting it for Switch, given the good reviews. I’ve looked a little at reviews, but still don’t really get what kinda game it is. :)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
is Hades a dungeon crawler, kinda Diablo-esque? Thinking about getting it for Switch, given the good reviews. I’ve looked a little at reviews, but still don’t really get what kinda game it is. :)

Yes: it's a very action-oriented dungeon crawler, like Diablo. Rather than a big, static world, you play through a randomly generated series of rooms. And you have fewer weapons to choose from and only one character to play, but each room you pass gives you certain benefits that you carry forward for that run. Other abilities are persistent. The build variations are impressive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought Hades and started playing Friday.

Pretty fun so far. Though for what I thought was a simple dungeon crawl, there's a lot I don't understand:
  • The 5+ currencies it has and their iconography that goes along with them. I struggle to tell what icon goes with what graphic or merchant. And I'm really uncertain where I get them. Sometimes I have them, and sometimes I don't.
  • What the controls are. It feels like it was designed for the PS4 controller, because it sometimes says to press a button that doesn't exist on the Switch, so I have to press all the buttons to find what it's talking about.
  • How does this stay fun long term, replaying the same entry levels over and over and over, in a factorial expansion grasping at a new level?
  • I am getting the sense I'm supposed to memorize the map choices so as I play levels over and over and over I know which weapon to pick for a given run? I don't want to memorize. I have a day job. :)
Regardless, for $20, if it brings a few hours of fun, that's fine. I like the simple controls and relatively simple gameplay. The style is marvelous, the voicing of the characters also wonderful. So far, it doesn't have all the mythos and collecting and crafting of Diablo III, making it feel lighter and easier to jump in and out of. And the restart frequently gameplay also gives it a "jump and play five minutes until I die" arcade quality, which is not a bad fit for my free time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm at the Hatoful Boyfriend stage of social isolation.

1606757933221.png

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I did a single playthrough of HATOFUL BOYFRIEND and ended up falling in love with a ghost FML.

Played Spellunky on the PS4. This is the kind of game I want to love but ultimately it's not for me. A super fun platformer with lots to explore, I love the idea of it. The game though is "rogue", so the levels constantly change. Which means stage 1-1 will never be the same twice if you die. Add in a ghost that comes out to chase you through the level so you can't take your time to explore and figure out puzzles and it drove my OCD crazy. If you're into this kind of thing, it's probably one of the best. I like "slow games" I can kind of control the pace with and figure out so it's not for me but man, do I wish it was!

Currently playing GOD OF WAR III remastered on the PS4. Plays like all the other GOD OF WAR games prior, even feels the same plot-wise. Not really a complaint. Figured I better get it done before the relaunched entry ends up no PS+ lol.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Playing through Assassins Creed Valhalla and enjoying it. If you liked the last two AC games, you’ll like this. The skill tree is a little bonkers (you uncover it as you go, so it’s difficult to plan ahead) but power levels are pretty easy to achieve so eventually it all unfolds. Great fun to go aviking with your horde, raiding monasteries and the like.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Finished GOD OF WAR III remastered on the PS4 over the weekend. You know you play too many open world/JRPG games when you finish a game like this and think it's short. I liked it, it felt familiar which was nice, and the game play felt dead solid. Seeing how they've reinvented the series, it looks like this is the end of the road for this style of beat 'em up.

I get to open my new Switch on Christmas so rather than dive into another big game, I decided to win the TWA championship belt.

1608570416286.png

I've loved Exciting Hour/Mat Mania wrestling since stumbling on it in the arcades as a little boy. There's many ways to play this now a days if legality isn't a problem but I have to hand it to the HAMSTER team, they do an amazing presentation. I don't have many on the PS4, but plan on picking up more on the Switch, including Nintendo exclusives like Donkey Kong and Punch Out. Now they need to do Ring King boxing!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been playing "Dishonored" but I think I'm going tp delete it from my PS+ account. I'm not really feeling it for the game. I don't really like the Victorian style world setting. The whaling side story does nothing for me and the look of the game is dull. Also, right now, the story involving a plague is too much of a reminder of what is going on in the real world.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Finished GOD OF WAR III remastered on the PS4 over the weekend. You know you play too many open world/JRPG games when you finish a game like this and think it's short. I liked it, it felt familiar which was nice, and the game play felt dead solid. Seeing how they've reinvented the series, it looks like this is the end of the road for this style of beat 'em up.

I get to open my new Switch on Christmas so rather than dive into another big game, I decided to win the TWA championship belt.

View attachment 84004

I've loved Exciting Hour/Mat Mania wrestling since stumbling on it in the arcades as a little boy. There's many ways to play this now a days if legality isn't a problem but I have to hand it to the HAMSTER team, they do an amazing presentation. I don't have many on the PS4, but plan on picking up more on the Switch, including Nintendo exclusives like Donkey Kong and Punch Out. Now they need to do Ring King boxing!
I remember there being 6 different arcades throughout my area in a 5 mile stretch in the mid 80's. None of them had Mat Mania except for a local laundromat where I used to go to play it constantly. I love the game (those piledrivers rock!) and I used to beat it on one quarter (most times).

Then I moved to another game you mention 'Ring King" across the street at the 7-11.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember there being 6 different arcades throughout my area in a 5 mile stretch in the mid 80's. None of them had Mat Mania except for a local laundromat where I used to go to play it constantly. I love the game (those piledrivers rock!) and I used to beat it on one quarter (most times).

Then I moved to another game you mention 'Ring King" across the street at the 7-11.
I knew I liked you! :lol:

Ring King in the arcade was so much fun.

Then we got the Nintendo version with the infamous between rounds bj...

I'm surprised Hamster hasn't gotten around to ring King yet. At least I haven't seen it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got my switch and am playing both Animal Crossing and Zelda 2: ADventures of Link. Loving the system so far! If you own one and would like to friend up, shoot me a DM :)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
13 Sentinals: Ageis Rim for me right now. This is simply an amazing story that would make a fantastic HBO sci-fi miniseries.
I've been playing this, too. I'm not the world's biggest giant robot/mecha/kaiju enthusiast, but this game leans into those tropes pretty knowingly, and like other Vanillaware games, it's visually stunning.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
13 Sentinels is on my radar. It's a $20-on-PSN-sale game for me.

I played through Demon's Souls then Bugsnax then Jedi: Fallen Order. Now working through The Last of Us Part II. It's been quite the winter.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Still on Animal Crossing and Adventures of Link, but boy, Link is a right bastard of a game. Even playing the cheat game where you start with maximum health and magic and can do rewind and save states, it's just merciless. Endless cheap shots constantly taking away your shooty-sword gimmick since you need max life for it to be active.

I'm about to start palace 4 but I may bail and play something else. It's taking me forever to play it since doing so saps my will to play lol.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hades

It’s as good as everyone said. I was super skeptical. And even the first 10 hours of gameplay, I was dubious it was that good. Now I’m hooked like I’ve not been in a long time.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Been playing Vintage Story, its similar to Minecraft in some respects, but way better. Better visuals, better generation, more things to do, and runs a lot better. Been fortunate to have some of the game devs play on the server I run too since Aura Fury is the largest VS server out there right now

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Finished The Last of Us Part II a couple weeks ago, played/finished Resident Evil 3 (then played some more to unlock the infinite weapons and blast through the game again), accidentally went back to Tetris Effect, and trying to figure out what I play next. It's between Adventures of Link (NES/Switch), Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES/Switch), or Star Wars Squadrons (PS4/VR on PS5).

Bought Doom Eternal in November for PS4 but holding off until the PS5 upgrade is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks