What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The Witness and The Talos Principle are some of my favorite games ever. Coincidentally, I booted up The Witness a few days ago and played from the start to the first laser just for giggles. Such a great game.
I still get PTSD from hearing 'In the hall of the mountain king'.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Coincidentally, I booted up The Witness a few days ago and played from the start to the first laser just for giggles.

I did the same thing. Like Morgan, I got the platinum trophy for the game on PlayStation years ago when the game launched. The PC version was on sale a while back so I picked it up (I rarely double dip) out of pure support for the game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played through The Talos Principle and started the DLC, but I was kind of burnt out from it so I didn't go all the way through it. Really only did like 5 or so puzzles and stopped. Not sure if/when I'll go back.

Started The Outer Wilds. I'm actually way less into it than I thought I would be, given the reviews, but it's still early.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Started The Outer Wilds. I'm actually way less into it than I thought I would be, given the reviews, but it's still early.
I respect (and overall like) Outer Wilds but really didn't find it to be a life-changing experience, or even the best game this year. It reminded me of that old game Damocles on the Amiga (down to the structure, design, and plot). It's impeccably crafted and has a beautiful sense of agency and discovery, but the game has been polarizing for a reason. Most people will tell you "wait until the end," but even finishing the game did not convert me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I gave up on Outer Wilds. It's got some truly brilliant and amazing moments but the further you go into the game, the fewer those moments are and you're just left with frustrating controls and zero direction on what to do. When you figure out what you're supposed to do, the game turns into something akin to Dark Souls with a timer: you have 22 minutes to do something exactly perfect or else you have to start all over. It's a shame because the sense of awe and wonder are great.

Played through Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch. Amazing game but really shocked at how many bugs I ran into.

Playing Moss on PSVR now.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got my island in animal crossing to 5 stars so the obsession is dying down a bit. I still poke around for events and maintenance but I'm not going crazy haha

Started playing SEGA AGES PHANTASY STAR on the Switch. Being a nintendo boy I missed out on this RPG series so it's nice to be able to play it. Story wise it's a more than a little floaty, I'm having to check a FAQ to find where to go next, but aside from that I'm loving the presentation on this. I got it on sale for around $6 and once of the things they added aside from the usual save anywhere, speed up walking features is an auto map for the first person dungeons (incredibly impressive considering this is a Sega Master System game). This sets a standard missing from all the other updated RPGS that I've seen. I was going to by the SEGA game pack to get the rest of the Phantasy Star series, but I kind of hope they show up as SEGA Ages releases instead. Dare to dream I guess.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Deep into Persona 5 Royal at the moment. This game is great now, but it took nearly 40 hours for me to get to that opinion. It's a slog in the beginning. Had me questioning all the time why it was held in such high regard. People told me it's because it's so huge that it takes time to build up, but I've played lots of 200+ hour games that hook me straight from the start.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just finished RE Village. It's...a bit different from the other games in the series but I still enjoyed it. I planned to finish it and just move on but now I'm feeling the itch to play through fast with infinite ammo weapons and try the Mercenaries mode.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Deep into Persona 5 Royal at the moment. This game is great now, but it took nearly 40 hours for me to get to that opinion. It's a slog in the beginning. Had me questioning all the time why it was held in such high regard. People told me it's because it's so huge that it takes time to build up, but I've played lots of 200+ hour games that hook me straight from the start.

I was hooked (on the original version--haven't played the Royal version) literally at the title screen. Easily the most stylish game I've ever played. Once I saw it was a fairly traditional completely turn-based RPG I knew I would love it. Top 10 game of the decade for me (maybe top 5).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Once I saw it was a fairly traditional completely turn-based RPG I knew I would love it. Top 10 game of the decade for me (maybe top 5).
Completely turns based RPG? I had no idea! Going to put this one on my radar!

I started Yakuza Kiwame 2 on the PS4 over the weekend and I just love these games. Yeah the fighting can get a bit repetitive (could be my fault since I'm playing on easy...) but the story is complex and the side missions are a genuine hoot.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Completely turns based RPG? I had no idea! Going to put this one on my radar!

I started Yakuza Kiwame 2 on the PS4 over the weekend and I just love these games. Yeah the fighting can get a bit repetitive (could be my fault since I'm playing on easy...) but the story is complex and the side missions are a genuine hoot.

It's true! It works just the way we want: each character goes in order, and you choose what you want them to do out of traditional menu (fight, magic, item, defend, etc). The only "modern" touch is the varied turn order (it's not a "your team goes then the enemies go" system). There is no constant time pressure or even an old school "active battle" timer. If you want to set the controller down while it's your turn and walk away for an hour go nuts!

Seriously, the system was a breath of fresh air.

I think it's free on PSN right now.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Been playing a ton of Vintage Story, scratches the Minecraft itch better than Minecraft does anymore. Going to be picking Starbound back up next week since the gaming community I am in is firing a server up for that along side Vintage Story.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just finished Horizon Chase Turbo with 100% completion. I have to say even with a few issues, that was by far one of the best racing games I have ever played. Very addicting, and fast.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bought Ghost of Tsushima and Miles Morales (PSN sale, $40 each). Ghost looks amazing on PS5. It's fun, the combat is tricky at first but then feels extremely balanced and fair, but the open world goes between "ugh this is way too big and the collectibles too inconsequential" and "wow this is great" really frequently. I put about a dozen hours in over the holiday weekend so I guess I like it a lot.

It reminds me a lot of one major complaint I have with modern games: they're built around you basically doing one specific thing (in this case, fighting/killing guys) and everything else is just story cutscenes or ways to dress up the one thing. Like sure, they aren't going to switch from a third-person samurai action game into a FPS then a Tetris-style puzzle game (only Nier does that sort of thing) but every mission, as interesting as they are (which, to be honest, they're really interesting!), is basically "go here, kill these people, watch cutscene." The core loop of the game is good enough for me to enjoy it but it definitely seems like gaming has been stuck in this rut for a long time. I think the only way out of it is to make different kinds of games with very different core experiences. In the case of a third-person action game, superhero games do a good job at adding new core mechanics so that the fun comes from things other than just punching bad guys and "solving puzzles" (which are usually not that challenging). Swinging around as Spiderman, flying around as Batman, etc. are a lot of fun and get integrated into the experience so they feel new. But Ghost of Tsushima has riding a horse and cutting bad guys with swords in an large open world, things I've been doing for decades in...a lot of other games. The story/setting/art style are interesting and unique enough but...that's about it. I don't fault Sucker Punch for making a really really really good iteration of these ideas, but I do think gaming needs to look a bit broader.

urrutiap

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
games im playing currently

WWE 2k18 for my Nintedo Switch LIte
WWE 2K19 for my X Box One S
Tales of Vesperia for my Nintendo Switch Lite
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for my PSP

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've been playing Radiant Historia on the 3DS. It's a turn-based JRPG with a cool time-travel mechanic. The writing and voice acting is decent, the story is interesting, and the protagonist isn't an insufferable buffoon with amnesia. This version of the game (originally on PS2) has "Story" mode that lets me bypass some of the tedious and frustrating combat can lock (players like) me out of these games. I wish more RPGs would provide this option.

Days Gone... what can I say? I know people found it aggressively bland, but I love the atmosphere and the hordes are truly frightening. The 60fps upgrade on the PS5, despite looking better, has made me better at the game, too. (Aiming, reacting, etc.)

More progress in Horizon: Zero Dawn in preparation for the sequel! I'm not used to playing games where I utilize so many of the traps and weapons. I just brought down my first Thunderjaw, and although I was way overleveled for the quest, it was (by far) the most difficult battle in the game for me. Stripping off enemies' armor is so satisfying.

Lastly, Sea of Thieves on the Xbox. I just play solo. It's such a relaxing nautical sandbox. I just cruise around and dig up treasure. It might be one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Bought an Oculus Quest 2 back in February, and I'm loving Room VR. Still playing a heavily-modded (non-VR) Skyrim of course, and the Enderal "conversion." The Steam Summer Sale is happening right now, so I bout a bunch of stuff that I don't have time to play...but I'm really looking forward to playing Outer Wilds.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I finished the Sega Ages Phantasy Star on the switch and had a bunch of fun with it. Seriously, that's the way to update a classic RPG. The automap function works brilliantly for dungeons, only thing missing is a decent overworld map which I guessing would have been a feely originally.

Currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 on the PS4 and loving it. Super fun side missions and even more oddball activities to participate in, not to mention mini-games like running a hostess club. I'll be into this one for a while.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I tried Hades on X Box. Literally disliked most everything about it, from the isometric view to the art style. Combat was fine, I just cared zero for the story, and after 20 minutes gave up. Gaming community hyped this game to stellar levels. I'm not seeing it. Of course I never understood the love for God of War series either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks