What's new

What are the drawbacks to rptv's. Should I worry about them? (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinked of plunging into the world of Rear Projection and because of the lack of 1st hand knowledge am worried about drawbacks such as the constant need for calibration??? or burning in the screen???

I don't think burning is a problem (unless 2 hours a day will do it).

Can anybody comfort me?? lol

with a 36in WEGA - I can basically turn it on and bingo. What about a rptv, does installation come with it?

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
the biggest drawback i have found is that guests always want to stay and watch "just one more movie".

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Rod,

I've owned a Toshiba 65H80 for about a year, and I'm really happy with it, but had I known then what I know now, I would have gotten a digital projector for the same $3000.

Here, as I see it, are the problems with RPTVs (HD sets in particular)

1. Setup. This includes geometry, convergence, grayscale and focus. All of these are VERY easy to adjust with projectors.

2. Size. A 400 pound television is not easy to move.

3. Impact. This one is a little more subjective, but I recently spent some time with a LCD projector, and, if you're primarily going to be watching DVDs, the whole experience is so much more filmlike and involving than watching a movie on what is, in actuality, a big TV.

Anyway, like I said, I really like my Toshiba, but I've got my eye on the new Sharp 9000 DLP projector. If I had the money, I'd be all over it. But you can get good results with either technology. Best of both worlds: keep your wega for watching regular TV, and instead of a big RPTV, pick up one of those NECs everybody's always talking about. You'll save yourself a lot of hassles and probably a little cash.

Nestor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks