What's new

WEHT Rhino's Crown International releases? (1 Viewer)

cliffMac

Agent
Hey,

Going back to Jon's question from this morning to the latest questions....:)

1. This is the year that BCI will be doing a lot more exclusive product with new masters created by BCI .... and we will be one of the first independents to have HD-DVD titles (first two will be August). We just spent a ton of money restoring a lost film from 1974 called THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD with Harvey Keitel and Earth, Wind & Fire. But last year we released HE-MAN and those were new masters, but we didn't do them. I joined BCI late last year, after spending 5 years at Ventura working on their Asian content like THE SONNY CHIBA COLLECTION and it's our mission going forward to create cool product for cult fans. It's been my mission for quite awhile.

2. Our GALAXINA is from a new HD master. It looks nice. It's rather soft, but the director tells me that is the way the film was intended to look.

3. SEXETTE is coming, but it's a few years away. We get the films back as Rhino's license expires.

Cliff
BCI ECLIPSE

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Maybe obscure and hard-to-find these days, but I wouldn't call it a "lost" film. It had a legitimate video release in the 80's from USA Video.

Glad to see the Crown catalog in better hands. Would like to see the uncut version of HORROR HIGH and a good version of CREEPING TERROR. And since I worked as a PA and was an extra in MY CHAUFFEUR, I guess I'd get that one, too. Any hope of TRIP WITH THE TEACHER? I assume your goal is to eventually release all of the catalog?

cliffMac

Agent
Maybe not so "lost" but kinda "lost" :)

Yes, we hope to find the uncut print of HORROR HIGH and we have found the negative to CREEPING TERROR.
TRIP WITH THE TEACHER will be out later this year with THE TEACHER.
and yes, we will release the entire library over the next four years.

Cliff

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if Galaxina is going to be one of your first HD titles, that's the format i'll purchase it on. I didn't realize this was the same company that had purchased ER's filmation catalog- i'm rabidly anticipating some of the properties from that (especially Isis and the other live-action sat morning material)- i just hope you guys aren't biting off more than you can chew. i would hate to see poor sales of some weak Crown movies affect or scuttle the filmation material.

cliffMac

Agent
We have a very busy release schedule this year with Crown, Filmation and other properties, but we are giving everything a lot of attention.

Cliff

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have to say, I'm intrigued! Looking forward to many of the titles mentioned!

And I would like to thank CliffMac for spending the time discussing these!

cliffMac

Agent
you're welcome... thanks for everyone's interest in the Crown library. we hope to have some real fun with the library and create some nice DVDs.

Cliff

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Wow, I thought I was the only person that knew about THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD...I really like that movie! Once you get past the initial chuckle at the idea of Harvey Keitel, Bert Parks, and Earth Wind and Fire in a movie together, it's a neat little time capsule of the music business in the '70's. The sequence where he takes the crude home-made demo of the family band and sweetens it into a radio-worthy single has a nice nut-and-bolt accuracy.

Did you get the movie from Sig Shore? The USA VHS release credited Lorimar as the licensor, so I worried that WB would sit on it forever. Will all the music be preserved? Will there be any extras? Thank you for bringing it back!

As for MY CHAUFFEUR, yes, if you just slapped a static matte on the movie there would likely be bad cropping. But maybe it might be worth your while to have an editor reframe some of the problem shots, adjust up or down, to make the movie fit a 1.85 ratio. I know this sort of thing has been done recently with Super 35-lensed films (there's such a demo on New Line's SEVEN disc), and heck, you could make the movie look better on DVD than it did in theatres! After all, they likely screened it 1.85; by the '80's, no one would be running new movies 1.33 right?

I guess they hoped teenagers would be too busy necking to notice the bad framing. :)

walter o

Supporting Actor
I thought Dark Sky's had the Bryanston library? What other Bryanston titles are you putting out?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Cliff,

Let me just offer you my heartfelt thanks for turning Brentwood/BCI around and releasing such quality cult product. I'm a huge fan of your Clutch Cargo set, and am greatly looking forward to your long-awaited (by THIS fan, at least) set of original remastered Ultraman episodes, complete with extras involving Peter Fernandez and Corinne Orr!!! I only WISH you had the rights to Speed Racer and Marine Boy. The Speed Racer releases have been lackluster at best, and Marine Boy hasn't had a release at all, in any format anywhere! I've no doubt that you would do long-overdue justice to these wonderful series.

That's amazing that you have the negative for THE CREEPING TERROR, the best killer-carpet-monster film ever made. I've been wanting to see this for decades now. AFAIK, it's only been released once, on VHS, from Rhino on a double-feature that was quickly pulled because they didn't have the rights. Any other goodies in the pipeline besides the Crown International stuff? Perhaps we should start a BCI discussion thread!

Thank you for being so communicative with the fans as well. If only the big studios (besides WB, who's very nice to us) would be so forthcoming!

:)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

CREEPING TERROR was also once released on VHS back in the early 80's by VCI Video under their "Le Bad Cinema" banner. I think it also may be on one of the MST3K DVD sets, but I assume it's got all those yakking idiots blabbering through it so that's worthless.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
As for other Bryanston titles, is Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin (aka Streetfight) a possibility? Originally set to be released by Paramount, they dropped the film after concerns about its reception by the black community. Bryanston then picked it up and distributed it.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I was just reading about Bryanston. They were the mafia controlled company. Made millions from DEEP THROAT and tried to go legit (with TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, COONSKIN and others).

How did the rights for those work out?

cliffMac

Agent

Some forthcoming titles including THE BRIDE, BLOOD SONG, JACK THE RIPPER GOES WEST and LEGACY OF SATAN - all of these will be in a Brentwood four pack called BLOODBATH 2.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Cliff,

do you have a web site?

Also, are you planning on releasing a Bryanston film called THE HUMAN FACTOR?

cliffMac

Agent

We'll have some new websites up in a few months. One for DEIMOS, our new cult film label, INK & PAINT, our animation label (He-Man, She-Ra, Defenders of the Earth) and RONIN ENTERTAINMET, a label that will specialize in Asian content.

I think there might be a rights issue with HUMAN FACTOR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks